Author Topic: winter weather and wind turbines  (Read 12660 times)

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
Re: winter weather and wind turbines
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2010, 10:00:57 AM »
Is there a reason you deleted all the photos from your last build, or, did you simply move them to another place ??

No, I rearranged some photo albums on my Google picture thing where those were linked to and it apparently now doesn't show up in the post I made.  Since then I've learned to put them on here as attachments so that doesn't happen anymore.  All the pictures of the various generators can still be viewed at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/christopher.w.olson/TurbineGenerators#
--
Chris

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2010, 10:14:09 AM »
Chris - I doubt you'll have any eddy current losses since I expect the core you'v cast there is non conductive.
YOu will likely have some losses due to hysteresis ~ and it's hard to know how much of a problem that will be.  that can be a real problem though, depending on the nature of the core.

An interesting test would be - just try to magnetize part of the core and see if it will retain any magnetic field.  A gaussmeter would be nice for testing that.  If it doesn't then you're probably fine with regard to iron losses.  I wonder if you'll have a cogging issue.

Are you planning for 1, or two rotors?
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Fused

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2010, 10:26:24 AM »
Chris, arnt you the same fella who wrapped carpet on the tower in case of a blade striking the tower?  ???

Sounds like you could use some new hand tools.

Interesting stator, how do you plan to mount it? What is going to hold your coils stationary? I ask because the gaps where you wind the coils looks like the weak link.

Fused

Fused

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2010, 10:35:55 AM »
Im still trying to figure out what you measured with the vernier calipers on that stator. Just for show?

Fused

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2010, 12:49:29 PM »
What a joke. The only complexity is making a easy project stupidly complex.

Perhaps you should take note of the rest of the sentence that I wrote, which was "I'm betting I could build this unit with the same basic hand tools used to construct the typical homebrew air core axial."

Maybe you don't understand the difference between a radial and axial type generator, or understand what I'm doing.  I'm sure to get some eddy losses with a powered iron core but I'm electing to build my experimental generator that way because it can be done with the normal tools used to construct air core axials, eliminating the need to precision cut and build a laminated steel core to wind the stator on.

I've build these before in an axial flux design with non-overlapped coils:
(Attachment Link)

That stator plate on the bench was built with nothing more than a piece of plywood and the top cut off a 5 gallon pail for a mold, a hand drill and a hacksaw.  This time I'm switching to a radial flux design with overlapped coils.

There's absolutely nothing stupidly complex about it and I have no need to prove anything simple or complex, or impress anybody by building a turbine with a hammer with the handle split and taped up, pliers with the jaws stripped out and a bent screwdriver with a busted tip.  I simply like to experiment with things and I'll use the tools I have to build a more precision unit.  But it seems I run into a lot of people who think anything outside the book must be complex, regardless of whether or not it really is.
--
Chris

Folks will be critical of everything I suppose.  I don't have a problem with trying to move things forward and the final product will be a result of your resources (and those include education, tools, time, money etc).  I think Chris is doing some very interesting stuff and I'm very grateful that he's so keen to share it here.  That is not to say I'd do everything the same, or agree about some of his conclusions but that's OK and that's where stuff can move forward.  I expect we're all wrong about some stuff...  I often find myself being quite certain about certain 'ideas' only to find years later that I've completely changed my mind.
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2010, 02:03:59 PM »
Are you planning for 1, or two rotors?

Hi Dan,

This is a radial flux with an internal rotor.  I haven't cast the ring yet, as I'm still experimenting with different things.  I'll cast the first test ring tonight.  I went to the tire shop in town and asked them if I could have the iron powder from their brake lathe tray and the guy that owns the place hollered out, "Hey guys - Chris is here to get the iron filings off the brake lathe!"  Three guys proceeded to carry 5 gallon pails of iron powder out to my truck and the owner said as long as I'm there to take it I have to take it all.

I came home with over 700 lbs in 5 gallon pails, for pete's sake, that they'd been storing up for the last five years.  Some of it is caked, some has dirt in it that they've swept up off the floor, I found old wheel weights and all sorts of stuff in those pails.  I'm going to sift it thru a fine screen to get 5 lbs of clean powder to cast the ring with - then I can do some more experimenting with the ring in place with no coils in it to see how much eddy losses there are.

I'm going to build the stator core using Ed Lenz's formula for mixing fiberglass resin as a binder with the iron to make a paste to cast it.  Ed said his turned out pretty good using the same iron powder I just got - except he carried a box into the muffler shop and they didn't make him haul off everything they had.  I should've took the moped to the tire shop with an empty ice cream pail instead of making the mistake of backing the Dodge Cummins up to the door.
--
Chris

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2010, 02:27:42 PM »
Im still trying to figure out what you measured with the vernier calipers on that stator. Just for show?

That was years ago when I built that thing.  It was a 18 coil 12 pole wired IRP.  I don't remember what I was measuring - probably coil size to make sure they fit the mags or something.

That test tower that I had with carpet wrapped around the top is taken down and cut up for scrap.  I still got the sections laying around here it you want it, although I've cut a few pieces of angle out of it for other stuff.  I put that carpet on there because I had a 11 foot turbine on it where the blade tips only cleared the tower by about 2 inches.  It flew for several weeks and the blades glanced off that carpet more than once and never hurt the blades.

If I had better hand tools I probably could've come up with something better, I suppose.
--
Chris

Fused

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2010, 02:46:29 PM »
Lol, we are all here for the same purpose. Having the equipment to experiment and test new ideas must be a real pleasure. You do nice looking work Chris. I do miss the machine shop, but I must work with what I have. Wind gennys can be built many different ways.

I figured if I could build a mill with hand tools, I could build it anywhere.

If I lived a few states closer, Id take you up on that tower sections. But thanks.
I still use cedar trees cut down and concreted in place for towers.

Fused

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2010, 03:13:21 PM »
I should've took the moped to the tire shop with an empty ice cream pail instead of making the mistake of backing the Dodge Cummins up to the door.

Definitely a case of "be careful of what you wish for" I think!  Still, I'm sure you'll find something useful to do with your new ferrous riches...

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

bj

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2010, 06:55:40 AM »
Chris:  I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago, with some 5 inch pipe.  Had a use for a bit, but the deal was all or nothing. 
For free, it was all.  Fast forward a few years, and guess what my tower is getting built from.  If your project is successful, those buckets
full might be very handy.
As an aside, being a gearhead, your projects are a must read, and many thanks.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.