Author Topic: Installed Caleffi Solar DHW  (Read 3218 times)

snowcrow

Installed Caleffi Solar DHW
« on: January 07, 2011, 09:16:23 AM »
  Finally talked my Mother into putting in Caleffi DHW Solar!!  The Caleffi system cost $5,900 including shipping,
and included the following items:

• iSolar2 controller
  • Dual-line Pump Station
  • 80gal. Storage Tank (with upper boiler & lower solar heat exchanger coils)
  • 2 6.5 x 4ft. Collector Panels
  • 50ft. roll of Dual 3/4in. insulated Flex Tubbing (with embedded sensor wire)
  • Expansion Tank
  • 2 5gal. Buckets of 50/50 Premixed Propylene Glycol

Before installing the Caleffi system, the DHW came off a oil fired boiler and runs the boiler year round!!
(40gal. storage tank with heat exchanger)  Its not much fun working in the basement, in the summer,
and have the boiler kick on when it's in the 80's or 90's outside :-\

Now installed, with the panels at a 60o , it should add much needed BTU's for DHW in winter.  
So far, I am impress with the Caleffi system!!! On Dec. 22, sunny, in the mid 20's and a windchill in the teens,
the storage tank reached 130o by 3:30 in the afternoon!!! Not bad for Vermont on nearly the
shortest day of the year ;D

I love all the options the controller offers, but I'm still fine toning the functions ??? The only one I'm fuzzy on,
is motor speed rise per rise in temperature.  At present it's set to 10% increase in speed for every 30o
rise in temperature.  It seems to be running smoothly, with no cycling on and off, do to temperature drop at the panel.

If anyone has a Caleffi controller, and would like to share their knowledge, please do!!