Author Topic: mx 60 diversion mode  (Read 3223 times)

cardamon

mx 60 diversion mode
« on: August 24, 2010, 08:38:45 PM »
Good evening energy homebrewers.  I have a question about the mx 60 or 80 that I cant seem to find the answer to, figured someone on the board knows the answer right off the top of their head and/or is doing it.  Some old threads almost got me there but not quite.  Currently I have wind and solar connected to a 12v bank with all charge control done with diversion via morningstars.  I am looking for other options because the pwm rings my H20 heating elements and Im just about sick of listening to it - very small place, water heater right in the kitchen and 10 feet from bed.  The only solution I can think of is to go backwards in technology a bit and use several relays to add in diversion resistance to keep the voltage in check.  I have heard of others doing this with the aux output(s) on  an mx60 to control a relay.  What I am not clear on:

1.  can these outputs be set so they come on/close by whatever voltage setting and stage the charge controller is doing?
2.  is there more than one?  Some previous posts had an "s" at the end.  How are folks getting multiple 'steps' for better voltage control?
3.  Outback states the mx can be used for diversion, do they mean using the aux out with a relay as above or can it be used with the full current going thru the mx, as a tristar or xantrex would do in diversion?
4.  I guess it really boils down to this: Can I use the mx for its mppt solar capabilities with the voltage set high and use the aux controlling relay(s)to get my charge control for the whole system (solar+wind) with diversion?

Thanks much
C

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: mx 60 diversion mode
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 09:45:05 AM »
"MorningstarS"?

How many amps is the heater element,
and is there more than 1?

Not that I can help you, just curious.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

SteveCH

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 10:23:04 AM »
If you don't know about it, there's a forum set up for Outback, I believe it is run by Outback pro's.

www.outbackpower.com/forum

They even have a section devoted to the MX60.

boB

• boB
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 04:26:40 PM »

3.  Outback states the mx can be used for diversion, do they mean using the aux out with a relay as above or can it be used with the full current going thru the mx, as a tristar or xantrex would do in diversion?

The MX/MF  series of controllers has an Aux output that can "control"   a diversion relay or solid state relay.

Just check the manual.  It puts out  0 or 12V at a maximum of around 200 milliamps for that.

boB

B529

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 10:07:54 PM »
I've set up a neighbors MX60 aux contact for diversion. Using a 12vdc relay/contactor to control a 110vac relay/contactor to divert excess solar via AC. He has the inverter capacity to do so. Been working great for 3yrs. Running in-floor heat mats, just in the winter.

I'm using the same setup you have using a  Morningstar, except dumping into a pair of wirewound resistors. The resistor do get winny, couldn't imagine having them 10' from my bed, I would be sleepy alone for sure if they were next to our bed:(

cardamon

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 08:05:52 AM »
Ghurd, I have two heating elements, that can each take around 50 amps, but one has two elements that can be series-ed or paralleled so I guess I could get three steps out of what I have if i had the control logic.  Steve, ah great idea about the outback forum, hadnt thought of that.  Thanks bob that clears it up a bit.  I still recall this old post where the author had an mx and I thought he had several steps of diversion, maybe he had multiple controllers or an auxiliary voltage controlled switch.  For those of you with experience with strictly on/off diversion, any recommendations on how many steps I would need or if it would function reasonable well with just one?  I have 2 l-16's, max 60 amps from wind, 28 amps solar.  I bigger battery bank would certainly ease regulation.....

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 11:32:13 AM »
A slow On-Off controller, dumping 100A out of L-16s, sounds like a bit much to me.

One stage would be OK, if you could make it cycle fast enough to control the voltage well, but slow enough to not beat the relay to death.

There are ways to use the TS-xx, to a simple timer circuit, to the load.  It would stop the noise mostly, but I expect it would still tick.
The problem there is the semiconductors controlling that many amps in a 'cost effective' manner (meaning cheap).
G-

defed

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 08:55:50 PM »
my xantrex mppt has the aux out to control a relay for a dump load as well.  nearly same specs as the outback it seems (3-13v @ 200 mA).  anyone found a specific solid state relay to use for this?  i seem to be having a hard time finding one having DC output.  the common ones appear to be AC/DC control with AC output.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 11:27:42 PM »
DC SSRs tend to have a substantial forward voltage drop.
In a 12V system, 10% of the power would be lost in the SSR, which makes them sort of rare, and also almost unsuitable for that use.

Plus they are more expensive than a (still expensive and rare) mosfet that would do the job much better.
G-

BrianSmith

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 06:51:22 PM »
Defed,

SSRs put two FETS back to back to block DC by putting the internal FET diodes in opposite directions.  That way they can turn off for both positive and negative voltages. They rate the output in AC becasue they are showing off.  ;D  It should work for DC loads I believe.  Check the data sheet.

defed

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 08:20:40 PM »
i was looking at something like this...

http://www.renewcanada.com/60_amp_dc_solid_state_relay_%28up_to_220_volt%29.html

still searching around.

BrianSmith

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 09:06:27 PM »
You can google the number and find its an asian SSR relay for DC only.  They have a little datasheet on it.  Hope your good at reading chinese....  ??? You might be able to find it on ebay cheaper...

defed

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 05:19:43 AM »
luckily, my sister in law was born and lived in taiwan until she moved to the states to go to college....so i think i can get a translation   ;D