Author Topic: More tower upgrading for the 17 ft'er  (Read 1122 times)

freejuice

More tower upgrading for the 17 ft'er
« on: July 10, 2010, 10:38:57 PM »
Hi Folks,
 Just some information to throw out there on my tower upgrade saga.
 I spoke to the fellow who I orginally bought the surplus 4 inch sch 40 pipe which my 11 footer is perched upon at 60 feet.
 Well it seems he had some more pipe he could let go for the standard 50 bucks a section.

So I bought another piece to extend my gin pole to 40 feet instead of the "tougher to raise" 20 feet...I figured the extra weight of the 17 footer and the added weight to reinforce the tower would make it nearly impossible to lift a 17 footer on a 60 foot tower with a short 20 foot gin pole, so now my gin pole will be 2/3rds the lenght of the tower :)...I'm thinking about hooking the misses' toy poodle up to the gin pole for the lift....man I miss my english setter, she was  good bird dog and departed this world after 17 good years of living life out in the country to the fullest.

However during the discussions with the fellow I asked him if he knew of any wire rope that could be had...well he had some 12 mm cable...ever so slighlty under 1/2 inch. It came out of a 10-20 ton hoist which a company replaces with some frequency to make sure their overhead crane is in good working order.

So of course my question were " How much and is the cable is frayed or damaged in any way"?
 Of course I'm thinking overkill for the upper guy wires!

Well it's not damaged and in good shape for 100 bucks...just over 100 yards of the stuff for about a dollar a yard :)

A few weeks ago I took this photo of my lower quality version of a quality Dan built 17 footer...well my resources are sometimes a bit thinner regarding metal and I made do with some square tubing with 1/4 inch wall thickness and some angle iron for stator brackets...well its all assembled now and appears to be robust enough...even with my crappy but burned in well stick welds....groan
  It has about 12 inches of side and forward offset, with about 5-6 degrees of tilt...and yes it is one of those heathen right hand furlers :o
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:50:52 PM by freejuice »