Author Topic: Distance between towers  (Read 1786 times)

lamatu

Distance between towers
« on: July 13, 2010, 06:14:47 PM »
Does the 30 / 300 rule apply when putting up two or more towers?
Just how close can they be, and can they be in a straight line?

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Distance between towers
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 02:52:23 PM »
Assuming you mean small-scale wind turbines, I would say no.  One turbine will only rarely be directly upwind of the other one, especially if you orient the towers to reduce the chances of this happening.  Another thing to point out is that the "blanketing" of one turbine in the wake of another is proportional to its size.  Instead of trying to maintain a fixed "300 foot" distance, you are better off considering relative distance, scaled according to the size of the two turbines.  300 fee is very far if the turbines are only 4 feet in diameter, but very close if the turbines are 100 feet in diameter, of course!
Wind farms have more criteria to consider, too, when siting their turbines, but I don't think that's what you're asking about.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

kcchow

Re: Distance between towers
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 04:36:23 AM »
I got the information from one of the VAWT supplier saying that their wind turbine need to be installed at least one diameter of wind turbine apart.