Author Topic: Radial Flux Generator Project  (Read 94039 times)

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
Re: Radial Flux Generator Project
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2010, 06:17:32 PM »
No one smirk out loud now, please.

frepdx

« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2010, 06:20:37 PM »
So if I throw enough flux at it, why do I even need a magnetic core?
How are you going to support it? non conducting, non magnetic mounts?

Given that you have plenty of voltage and plenty of space for more coils in the current version, have you considered trying thinner magnets?

jimovonz

« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2010, 06:20:56 PM »
So if I throw enough flux at it, why do I even need a magnetic core?
Wasn't the aim at the beginning to improve on efficiency and materials compared to the more 'traditional' dual rotor axial flux air core alt? It sounds like you are suggesting a single rotor radial flux air core which would effectively have a huge air gap. I can't see this meeting your objectives. It will however be most interesting and informative. I am looking forward to whatever transpires...

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2010, 07:22:30 PM »
By the time it is finished, it will be a motor conversion.  :P

The iron in the goop is obviously not conducting the flux worth a hoot, or the 1/8" thick ring would not hold up a wrench.
If you want to try it 'air core', just remove the ring.  Pretty sure that would give similar results... except for the issues of the electrically conductive backing plate.

I see there is one coil of the next phase in place.  Are they all in place?
Overlapping coils will give a higher voltage than non-overlapping coils.

"All the new high-efficiency electric motors are air core, not laminated steel anymore."
Not sure I would agree with him on that one.  Curious which motors he's talking about.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2010, 07:52:22 PM »

If you want to try it 'air core', just remove the ring.  Pretty sure that would give similar results... except for the issues of the electrically conductive backing plate.

You could also spin the ring along with the magnets.  That would keep your flux path across the back of the coils and eliminate eddy currents in the ring.

Then remove some, or all, of the core outward from the coils.

Put more magnets on the inside of the ring and get rid of the cores through the coils and you've got a radial version of the dual-rotor axial alternator.  B-)

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2010, 08:17:38 PM »
Put more magnets on the inside of the ring and get rid of the cores through the coils and you've got a radial version of the dual-rotor axial alternator.  B-)

Someone posted one of those not tooo long ago.  Before the FL change.
IIRC, big, truck rims, somewhere kind of remote.
I was impressed with being able to get all the coils solidly cast in the space it had to be done.  Looked almost impossible.
G-

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #138 on: July 27, 2010, 09:39:15 PM »
Wasn't the aim at the beginning to improve on efficiency and materials compared to the more 'traditional' dual rotor axial flux air core alt?

Well, realize I'm not done with this project - in fact, I'm just getting started.  And to do some experiments with single rotor air core units, since I already have one built, I'm going to use a "traditional" axial with one rotor on it.  I just got done bolting this thing to a turbine head so I can run it with my hydraulic motor setup and get some data on flux thru the coils vs performance that I know I get with dual rotors.  I set the gap between the magnets and stator to the thickness of a piece of newspaper (~.0025") for the initial run:

I'm going to try various materials to complete the flux path, from a blank steel disc rotating on the shaft with the mag rotor, to a powdered iron core bolted to the stator, etc., to see what I get.  Using the axial I can do this without having to rewind the stator every time I want to try something new.  But the data I get from this experiment can hopefully be applied to the radial build.

I may still proceed with the powdered iron core once I figure out what it takes.  Or I may not.  Like I said, I've only just begun this project and it's one of the most fun and interesting ones I've done.

"No one smirk out loud now, please."

Smirk away all you want - I see a lot of talk here on Fieldlines but not many people actually doing much building.  Ed Lenz from-scratch built a 4 pole radial air core once that fits in the palm of your hand and puts out 50 watts  (http://www.windstuffnow.com/main/radial_air_core_alternator.htm):

Unfortunately, Ed doesn't post here anymore but he has a website where he puts this stuff for other people to look at.  I don't.  But maybe I'll start one because I've experimented with at least as much brainstorm stuff as Ed has - and like Ed's experiments of the past, some of it works, some of it don't.  But there's a lot more people who read the information and find it useful, failure or success, than there is that comment on it.  And that's one of the aspects of building homebrew turbines  - sharing ideas on builds with other people.

That being said, this will probably be the last post I make here on the topic - in the mean time (until I maybe put up a website with all my experiments on it) I have a Google album thing where I'll post pictures and explanations of the continuation of this project.  That album thing is located here for the people who are interested in it:
http://picasaweb.google.com/christopher.w.olson/TurbineGenerators#

For ghurd - yes, I ran it first with one phase, then pulled the stator and wound all three phases with a spool of AWG 18 wire I found.  The 39 volts I got was all three phases in star (phase 2 is reversed in this configuration so it either has to be wound backwards or reverse the start and end of the winding).  It should've been around 19 volts.  The individual phase voltage came in around 20-21 volts @ 100 rpm.  The picture I posted last night was one I snapped when I was aligning the stator to the rotor, then the batteries in my digital camera went dead but I was able to retrieve that picture off the memory card in the camera.

I initially wound one phase and two coils on phase two but ran out of wire to complete the second coil.  So I unwound that coil, soldered more wire on from a spool of AWG 18 I found in a box and finished winding the whole thing for testing.  One of the other purposes of that was that when I unwind it I can stretch all three wires out from the phases and see how close they come to the same length.  Theoretically they should all be the same, but the way the overlapped coils are layed out, phase three ends up with slightly shorter winding heads than 1 & 2 because the winding head goes slot to slot instead of bending around the legs so the other phases will fit.  I don't expect it will be a lot - maybe 6-8" in total.  But it was one thing I wanted to know.

As far as the motor conversion comment - for people who like to convert electric motors to generators that's good - and I suspect the late Wayne Abraham (Zubbly) was the resident expert on the topic.  But some of us like to figure out how to build stuff from scratch.
--
Chris
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 09:42:51 PM by ChrisOlson »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #139 on: July 27, 2010, 09:44:24 PM »
ChrisOlson - Apologies offered if needed, I had meant absolutely no disrespect to you, I directed that "No one smirk out loud now, please" to the Mob of posters sure to follow...

Edit: Dang *is* one of those non-prolific builders but really, really, hates folks burning out on mere text-based exchanges. Many proven man-years of technical experience here yet we are all students.  There always is some burn if you really want to shine, just don't burn out.  ::)

« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 10:16:48 PM by DanG »

Fused

« Reply #140 on: July 27, 2010, 10:04:14 PM »
But some of us like to figure out how to build stuff from scratch.

Uh, this is a DIY forum. WE "all" figure out how to build stuff from scratch.

A motor conversion would have left you gain the experience you obviously need to build one from scratch.

A lot more to it than fancy machinery. (although it would make it ALL easier)

Have fun with the learning process, share your mistakes and successes.

Fused

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #141 on: July 27, 2010, 10:14:30 PM »

For ghurd - yes, I ran it first with one phase, then pulled the stator and wound all three phases with a spool of AWG 18 wire I found.  The 39 volts I got was all three phases in star (phase 2 is reversed in this configuration so it either has to be wound backwards or reverse the start and end of the winding).  It should've been around 19 volts.  The individual phase voltage came in around 20-21 volts @ 100 rpm.

Actually it was Ed who ran some tests related to overlapping coils.
His results showed around 2.15 difference IIRC, instead of the 1.73.
It lines up with your findings.

Not sure what you mean by: 39V with all 3 phases, should have been 19V, individual phase at 19-21V.
If one phase was 19V, I would expect all 3 to be 40V with overlapping coils in Wye.

If it was tested in DC, unloaded, without a cap on the rectifiers, at a low RPM, I expect some (much) of the variation could be the meter.
G-

Fused

« Reply #142 on: July 27, 2010, 10:18:27 PM »
Smirk away all you want - I see a lot of talk here on Fieldlines but not many people actually doing much building.

Not much of a way to thank those helping you learn.

SMIRK!

Fused

jimovonz

« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2010, 10:54:44 PM »
this will probably be the last post I make here on the topic
Well that that is a shame. I have been a member here for comming up six years and prior to about two weeks back, haven't contributed for two years. That is partly because I have become a 'suburbanite' and this has lessened my oportunity for any practical application of my interests, but also because on the odd occasion that I have checked in on the board it has been pretty much the same old stuff getting re-hashed over and over. That was until I found your postings. It is stuff like what you are doing that captures my attention and keeps me comming back. I realise that most of my input is limited to pointing out why I think some things won't work. That is not intended to put people off but to hopefully help focus attention on being productive. Anyway, it gets even more interesting when I'm wrong. You are one of the most prolific 'doers' here and I hope that you keep it up.

windy

« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2010, 10:59:01 PM »
ChrisOlson

Just throwing in my 2 cents, but what would happen if you were to use the stator from a large hp 3 phase motor.  If you could find one that has a 12 or 14 inch diameter rotor and not repairable, just remove the stator plates and restack to whatever thickness you want. You can offset the plates as you restack them inside a steel ring. This would eliminate cogging. I know it sounds like a motor conversion, but doing it this way you could eliminate a lot of the weight of the motor. I built a 7.5 hp motor conversion but the problem with those are that they have to turn fast to generate desent power. It only has a 6 inch diameter rotor. Using a stator that is 14 inches in diameter, the rotor wouldn't have to turn so fast. Not sure if this would work, but just a thought. If it would work there would be enough stator plates for more than one generator.

windy
I don't claim to be an electrical engineer. I just know enough to keep from getting electrocuted.

Fused

« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2010, 11:56:15 PM »

chris's photo
No way you can convince me that has .0025 air gap chris. Looks more like .125 min. Some others can notice that.

You can back your rotors up and give more air gap without losing performance. Ive tested on my own dual rotor, when it started out as a single rotor. You may gain a couple volts but leave no room for vibration, out of balance ect. Actually, the more air gap you can run and keep performance, the better you are in the long run. Just what Ive learned.

Fused

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2010, 12:32:40 AM »
No way you can convince me that has .0025 air gap chris. Looks more like .125 min. Some others can notice that.

Did I say it was adjusted when I took that photo, or was I in the process of setting things up with a vicegrip hanging on the shaft?  I guess that's a mystery you'll have to solve.
--
Chris

Fused

« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »
No mystery. Even I can see the nuts seated on the stator. Whatever floats yer boat.

Good luck on your projects.

Fused

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2010, 02:19:23 AM »

For ghurd - yes, I ran it first with one phase, then pulled the stator and wound all three phases with a spool of AWG 18 wire I found.  The 39 volts I got was all three phases in star (phase 2 is reversed in this configuration so it either has to be wound backwards or reverse the start and end of the winding).

Reversing one winding makes no sense at all on a machine with an odd number of phases.  (Think about it.)

You're in Y, right?   Try measuring the voltage between each pair of the three-phase output windings with the genny spinning at the same speed.  I bet the voltage between the one that's "reversed" and either of the other two will be far below (like just over half) the voltage between the ends of the two non-reversed coils.  That says you made a "w" connection, not a "y".

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2010, 02:44:04 AM »
If you take the electrical displacement of a 3 phase winding, which is 120 deg there is no need to reverse anything.

In most slotted core machines the easy thing is to use the 3 phase coils in their mechanical displacement. This normally results in a 60 degelectrical displacement ( it is really 6 phase).

In this case you reverse the start and finish of the second phase and it comes back to being exactly the same as if you started with the true 3 phase arrangement where you take the coils in 120 deg sequence.

In the true 3 phase way the coils you use are not the adjacent ones in this case. This confusion comes about with 2 layer windings, if you use consequent pole windings as more commonly used in N America this confusion doesn't arise . Most European machines use the 2 layer windings and the majority use the three adjacent coils for the end connections. The middle phase is reversed in this case.

Flux

joestue

« Reply #150 on: July 28, 2010, 03:57:02 AM »
By the time it is finished, it will be a motor conversion.  :P

The iron in the goop is obviously not conducting the flux worth a hoot, or the 1/8" thick ring would not hold up a wrench.

I see there is one coil of the next phase in place.  Are they all in place?
Overlapping coils will give a higher voltage than non-overlapping coils.

"All the new high-efficiency electric motors are air core, not laminated steel anymore."
Not sure I would agree with him on that one.  Curious which motors he's talking about.
G-

I'm not convinced your core is all that bad, it just needs to be a lot thicker, specifically the core area needs to be about twice the magnet area.

you have two options with this core, triple the thickness of the core, measured at the thin part behind the slot, or double the number of slots and use half inch or 3/8th inch wide magnets that are 1/8th inch thick.

Due to the low density of the core, and the fact that you can't get much better than a permiabiltity of 100 for a good iron powder core anyway, that steel band around the outside will always carry a significant amount of flux, and you can't get away from that. even a 1/4 inch or half inch gap between the core and the steel band will significantly reduce losses.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

artv

« Reply #151 on: July 28, 2010, 06:54:24 AM »
Chris nice to see somebody trying something unconventional .....just following a set of instructions and building something already proven......well thats fine.....if thats all you want......I've built lots of different designs ..........all dismal failures......but still keep trying..........so just like to say thanks for the effort and thanks for sharing.............artv

clintonbriley

« Reply #152 on: July 28, 2010, 09:06:54 AM »

Just throwing in my 2 cents, but what would happen if you were to use the stator from a large hp 3 phase motor.  If you could find one that has a 12 or 14 inch diameter rotor and not repairable, just remove the stator plates and restack to whatever thickness you want. You can offset the plates as you restack them inside a steel ring.

This may not be making the stator from scratch, but the same thing has occured to me as well.  Several guys on here obviously have
friends who work in motor rewinding shops, so I'm guessing the same idea must have occured to them too. 
So how feasible is it?  Are large industrial motors commonly made with such large diameter rotors/stators?

DragonFly III

« Reply #153 on: July 28, 2010, 10:29:09 AM »
There are definitaly motors out there with huge lams. 
I use to work at a bindry and printing company and their printing presses used motors that were up to 2' in diameter.  I almost scored on for free but someone,  The bosses son saw me take interest in it and got daddy to give it to him.  I was even willing to pay the scrap price.  I wish I could remember the specs of the motor but it was 5 yrs ago. ofcourse I would have needed a crane to get it on the tower.  They used a forklift to move it around the shop.  O yeah the motor was working but the change out the motors after so many hours to prevent failures during a run.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #154 on: July 28, 2010, 11:07:41 AM »
In most slotted core machines the easy thing is to use the 3 phase coils in their mechanical displacement. This normally results in a 60 degelectrical displacement ( it is really 6 phase).

Yes, I'm glad you were able to explain this better than I could have.  Due to the 60 degree electrical displacement with this coil arrangement, and the resulting out-of-phase relationship of 2 with 1 and 3, the leads on phase two have to be reversed (or wind the phase backwards).  So your output wires in star end up being 1S, 3S and 2E.  The ends of phases 1 & 3 and the start of phase 2 are connected together at the "star point".

I connected this thing in delta to try it and it was terrible for "drag" with the 30 degree pole spacing and 40 degree leg spacing - in fact, so bad I don't think a 13 foot prop could even really get it turning.  The generator actually "buzzed" in delta at 100 rpm with no load hooked to it.

I'm going to build a permanent generator test stand with my hydrauilc motor on it and a stepped shaft so I can run generators with either 1" or 1-1/8" hubs.  I've been testing them by mounting them to turbine heads, which is rather inconvenient because the head likes to swing around on the stand when the generator accelerates and decelerates, and if I'm not standing there holding it it pulls the wires off from my meters.  Since I have this unit built with the powdered iron core I'm going to run it loaded to get some performance data from it (heating, eddy losses, power out vs power in, etc), even though I expect it will not be used in the final version of my radial generator.

I test wound it with AWG 18 just because I had some odds and ends of 18 wire laying around, and I'm going to leave it that way for testing.  In the end, when I get done playing with it, I'll probably push it to the limit of the wire and see what it will take before it burns up.  I'll post a YouTube video of that because I'll bet there's a lot of people that have never seen a generator go up in smoke under overload conditions.
--
Chris

DragonFly III

« Reply #155 on: July 28, 2010, 11:51:09 AM »
That is hallarious.  burning up something to see when it burns is fun.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #156 on: July 28, 2010, 11:56:29 AM »
'Un-reverse' phase 2 and try delta again.
G-

Fused

« Reply #157 on: July 28, 2010, 12:06:56 PM »
I bet I can burn up my conversion too. Connect a few wires wrong here and there.....poof!

Im an engineer!  ;D

lol

...couldent resist

Fused

DragonFly III

« Reply #158 on: July 28, 2010, 12:25:20 PM »
I wish I went to engineering school.  I went the ET route.  (I chickened out)  Full scholarship to RIT and 99% percentile on the ASVAB Test.  It's a test that the entire US students take to rank the school districts and the military watches this test and recruits from it.

I know I'm a dumb@&&.

Could have gone to engineering school in the military too.
I didn't pass the physical.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #159 on: July 28, 2010, 02:14:28 PM »
'Un-reverse' phase 2 and try delta again.

It doesn't work, Glen.  With this coil layout the legs for phases 1 & 2 share the same slot every 60 degrees of rotation.  If it was a 12/36 then it would be "normal" --- but, in that case, every other coil in each phase has to be wound opposite direction.

Ed Lenz has a little tutorial on his website, with pictures, on three phase basics:
http://www.windstuffnow.com/main/3_phase_basics.htm
--
Chris

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #160 on: July 28, 2010, 02:32:52 PM »
Did you try it?
I could explain it with a half dozen sketches, but just try it and see.
G-

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #161 on: July 28, 2010, 02:54:03 PM »
Did you try it?
I could explain it with a half dozen sketches, but just try it and see.

Yes, I did.  1 end is normally hooked to 2 start in delta.  But if I hook it up that way the generator is shorted and I can barely turn it.  If I unhook the 3S to 1E wire then it turns but I only get voltage between 1S and 2S or 1S and 3S.  No voltage at all between 2S and 3S.  Reverse the ends of phase 2 and it works across the board and I get normal delta voltage between the legs.

Unless I wound it wrong, but I don't think I did.
--
Chris

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
« Reply #162 on: July 28, 2010, 07:59:17 PM »
Chris,  Have you considered replacing the steel band strap with iron wire?  An inch or so of 14 gauge iron wire wound around the core should have only limited eddy losses and should help complete the magnetic circuit.  This could be re-molded in resin to hold it all together.

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #163 on: July 29, 2010, 06:47:37 AM »
Yes, I was going to suggest the iron wire technique. I did a story on the Seeley conversion here  http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/5171/seely.html, and one of the photo's clearly shows the iron wire backing like this:
  .... may help?

oztules
Flinders Island Australia

clintonbriley

« Reply #164 on: July 29, 2010, 07:55:18 AM »
Great article on the seeley conversion Oztules!  The use of the steel wire in the stator is interesting.  Does the steel wire need
to be coated with insulation the way that motor laminates are?  Do you suppose it is common steel wire?
Thanks,
Clint