Author Topic: solar booster station  (Read 6699 times)

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
solar booster station
« on: August 05, 2010, 02:24:12 AM »
I had a service man come out and test where the best position for an dish could be put for the innernet. I will need to have a booster station put in about 200 ft straight up the side of the mountain. That will give me good reception for about 18 hrs a day. I am in a steep canyon and I need a southern exposure for reception. I will be using a combonation of a micro hydro / solar system 24 volt for my house.  I have never built one but I figure I will need to have a small solar panel kit and a smaller single battery 12v for this relay system.  They are going to get me the power usage information for their unit.  Has anyone else used a booster station (relay) system? They have them but there is a lot of $$ involved. If I put it in the price goes down big time. There is no cell phone reception in the canyon but you can get 2 radio stations, no TV reception. The closest satellite phone system is down the canyon 1 1/2 miles when he is there. Up the canyon is about 2 miles to a place you can use your cell phone. One of the problems is I will have to also need to have a pure sine wave inverter for their equipment. I would need to run a line down to the house so I could shut it off when not in use. Just asking I'm not sure where to put this.
MntMnROY 13

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Re: solar booster station
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 03:27:35 PM »
It might help if you told us what it was you planned to boost.  B-)

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 09:59:57 AM »
It might help if you told us what it was you planned to boost.  B-)
He's wanting to boost his internet signal coming from the receiver dish.

If I remember right, Boss was sharing a connection up the valley.  I'm not sure if they were using solar but it seemed like they were boosting the signal?
You might try searching his posts.

Here's a post talking about a WiFi relay
http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,129464.0.html
and another one
http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,129357.0.html

You might want to send Boss a PM ;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 10:05:41 AM by zap »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 11:14:56 AM »
13;
  We will need a little more information to completely help out. For the booster station, we'll need to know the power requirements of the total equipment.
I know you spoke of needing a PS inverter, and that's probably a given, but how much power per hour is the unit going to need? that way you can probably size the battery and solar accordingly.

The other possibilities are: The guy with the SAT phone, is his place in direct line of sight even tho it's 11/2miles away. The 200 foot up the mountain... is that your land? and does anyone aropund there already have internet were there it's SAT or some other type. It is possible to piggyback off there's that is much less $$$ and pretty reliable. AND best of ALL D.I.Y which can be nearly free :).

Come back plz w/more info.
The radio stations run on much lower freqs. AM will bounce for miles and can pierce a bunch of stuff, FM can travel miles too depends on wattage and terrain.   
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 12:24:13 PM »
There is also the possibility that the booster is a 12 vdc unit with a wallwart power supply

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 12:53:02 PM »
Hey Bruce,

Shame on you!  B^>

You said: "power per hour"???  Please pass the spliff!

You meant: "energy per hour" or just "power", shurely Shirley?  No good telling the newbies off if we get it wrong ourselves.

I'll go outside and wait for the slap with the wet sea-bass, but just the one this time please...

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 05:43:36 PM »
Hey Bruce,

Shame on you!  B^>

You said: "power per hour"???  Please pass the spliff!

You meant: "energy per hour" or just "power", shurely Shirley?  No good telling the newbies off if we get it wrong ourselves.

I'll go outside and wait for the slap with the wet sea-bass, but just the one this time please...

Rgds

Damon
Don't beat me ;D sir was in a hurry.
Was trying to order curry chicken at same time :P

I will now go hide in shame 8)

Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 10:52:42 PM »
the guy below me only gets connection from 430 am to 930 am then 5 pm to around 8 pm each day. This guy have a hydro system for power.
There is one other family on the next ridge over(two miles) that is on top of the mountains and he has a signal all of the time. He is at around 7000 ft. They have solar power. They are there during the summer and once ever so often during the holidays. They fly in by helicopter.
The 200 feet is elevation straight up the mountain on my property behind the house. You need to use both hands and feet to go up the side of the mountain.There is a small ridge that gives me a rocky point to set it up. But in a message from the dish network that was sent to me today told me that I will also need to install a lightening rod for the  protection of things and my house. I love to see lightening but I have also been burnt by it and had it knock me down once and it blew me into a plate glass window downtown Conrad with alot of stitches later and the last one I was in La La land for two days and gained a nice thing to have, high blood pressure.
They told me that Kyle will have the information for me by Monday for the power usage and needs. I am living in Butte, Mt and my property is in Idaho about 354 miles away so answers sometimes are slow.
This is just for the use of internet.
Does a power house building draw static electricity? I have never thought of needing a lightening rod for the house or power house. But it sounds like a good idea.

MntMnROY 13

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 12:10:32 AM »
Just a little more informative then that "you need a lightning rod" if you can ignore the 'brand name' this-and-that inserted throughout the document, there is some good reading here and here - the 'rolling sphere' protection zone theory is a good read, and I see they've added sections for huge installation solar and wind. Using re-bar in the concrete of the structure (concrete usually better conductor than surrounding rock) as part of the ground is diagrammed with additional earthed underground cable & rods is a neat point too.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 12:28:09 AM by DanG »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 04:29:19 PM »
... in a message from the dish network that was sent to me today told me that I will also need to install a lightening rod for the  protection of things and my house.

Does a power house building draw static electricity? I have never thought of needing a lightening rod for the house or power house. But it sounds like a good idea.

Lightning tends to strike where the electrical field intensity is strongest.

That tends to mean things higher than their surroundings (imaging an upside-down squatty ice cream cone, roughly a 45-degree (?) slope, with the point at the high point of some raised conductor.  lightning is very much more likely to hit the raised point than anything inside the "cone of protection".  In detail it's more likley to hit something sharp than something rounded nearby (because a sharp point concentrates the field and gets the ionization started).  But wires up a hill bring the voltage from lower down up the hill with them, shortening the gap to the clouds and raising the intensity of the field above the installation.

Once the lightning hits the facility it can be carried down the lines to stuff along them or at the other end.  Unlike the charge-redistributions in the wires and ground leading up to the flash (which you can't do much about), the flash itself is very fast - which corresponds to high frequency signals.  So it doesn't like inductance, which means it doesn't like to take tight corners and will jump appreciable gaps in preference.  This gives you a chance to install protection and mitigation equipment.  (It's hard to be completely immune to a direct hit.  But capacitive and inductive surges can be rendered essentially harmless and damage from sideflashes and direct hits can be mitigated.  Far better, of course, to give the stroke a preferred path that doesn't involve your wiring, in the form of a lightning rod with a good ground field.)

When lightning strikes the ground the hazard is not over.  It spreads out through the ground like an upside-down lilly pad, discharging the charge that accumulated under the cloud.  If there is a gap in the ground, like a dry ditch, it may jump across it rather than go around, or it may concentrate at the end of the cut.  (My brother had a friend with a house out in a flat farming area at the end of a drainage ditch who was constantly getting damage from surge currents around the ditch and through his house when lightning discharged or hit one side of the ditch and the current ran around it and through his house).  Of course plumbing - like sewer or a line to a well or water main - is a great ground conductor to "hook the house" to one area, while wiring to a wind genny, hydro plant, outbuilding, power grid, etc. can be an "antenna" for lightning and related surge currents.  The power company tries really hard to keep their grid grounding lightning at the poles rather than through your house.  If you put in your own stuff I suggest you emulate them.

I don't know the details on hydro.  But I can guess:  I wouldn't expect the "ditch effect" to focus crosswise currents at the plant if the water is present.  The water would provide a good path across.  But I'd expect lightning currents to flow ALONG the stream - and perhaps down your plumbing to your turbine and then maybe hop to the wiring.  So protection against that might be wise.  Of course the wiring between the genny and load has all the issues of any grid wiring, as does the plant being connected to it - especially if it's higher than its surroundings.