Author Topic: generater hookup  (Read 2052 times)

greenkarson

generater hookup
« on: September 12, 2010, 07:12:55 PM »
1097-0

A few questions but first some specs.
12v system. 
2 GPL-8D L Lifeline AGM Batteries 255 ah each
c40 controller
water heater dumpload
100w aquair turbine
honda eu2000i generater with the 12v 8amp output connected into bus bar

now the questions.
while the creek is low im relying more on my generater it has the dual output 120 and 12v.  the 12v output is 8amp this works out to 96 watts.  this seems like a waste to run a 2000 watt genset and only use 96watts.  im still draining my batteries durning peek useage (not completely but using more then im putting in) is there any way i can use the ac output with a seperate charger to use more of the genset power.  Im thinking now this may be what a inverter/charger does?
  question 2-  where on my diagram should i put fuses and what size?
any other suggestions for me all are welcome?
im hopping to add some solar before winter as well probuly just 200watts to start with.  I forgot to mention this is a backwoods cabin

thanks karson

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: generater hookup
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 10:55:52 AM »
I would put a fuse on every wire that comes off of your Positive Buss Bar
Here is how I did mine
http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,129684.0.html

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
The 8-Amp 12 volt output is just to provide emergency charging of an automobile battery or maintain a small battery, never meant to be a primary power source.

The eu2000's rated output is 1600W (13.3A) which ~could~ produce 105 amps at 14.7VDC.

If you rectify the AC output you get 170VDC, which is far above the 125VDC C-40 PWM charger absolute maximum input.

For a quick or temporary fix stepping down the AC output 2:1 and rectify to ~90V pulsed DC, filter it nearer to true DC and pretend its a high solar panel output voltage - its lossy and would mean wiring changes to have the switch-over function...

Or - research buying a (used, cheap) converter made for RV's, one brand as example here   http://search.ebay.com/WFCO

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 12:13:55 PM »
Maybe just a big cheap dumb battery charger plugged into the 110V?
Or 2 of them.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

greenkarson

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 07:35:55 PM »
with a converter/charger would i just wire it into my ac outlet on the genset and then the dc output to my dc buss bars?
and how do they work? I can only find online how they relate to a RV not to a off grid system. would it work fine with a c40 in dump mode?
just trying to wrap my mind around how they work. If i was to install a 25amp converter heres my thinking as to how it would work the converter/charge would work just as  a normal charger until a load was turned on. Then it would adjust the input amps to match the load up to roughly 25amps. So there would be no drain out of the batteries.  And when the load was turned off the Converter would just go back into charge mode.   
  Am I close? or way off track?

thanks karson

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 10:32:36 AM »
In your example the converter-battery would be sharing the load until the converter was maxed out - what proportions each donates I haven't a clue, but in theory the AC source should load up first.

You need to forget the Honda has a DC output unless you've left car headlights on and need an emergency battery jump charge when you're miles away from a second car or something. I have the eu3000 service manual and the circuits are seperate so both can be in same circuit and used continuosly but its not worth it, the inverter side is more effiecient and why risk wearing out / accidently damaging the 12V side.

Generator AC-to-DC charging of batteries is usually absorption charge only, the last 10-15% of a full charge requires long runs times with small returns. If you need 100% charged state you'd plan ahead to let the wind or solar power handle that, the generator is used best to keep the batteries from being damaged by too-deep discharge.

A simple converter will have a fixed 13.2-13.7 voltage output - the newer ones have three-stage charging built in and your Lifelines specs say they will enjoy the 3-stage...BUT "The GPL-8DL is designed for charging amperages up to 255 amps or 100% of the rated Amp Hour Capacity". The batteries need that high surge to circulate electrolyte, there is excess sealed in to help it squeak through the warranty period and it needs to be churned. Charging those behemoth 8D's seperately is important - Your Honda is rated for 1600 watts, so figuring 80% efficiency you are limited to an 80A converter with wire losses. (80A x 14.6 = 1168w x 120% converter efficiency = 1402w x 105% include wire losses = 1472w load)

The gotcha on AC powered stuff is efficiency - most grid powered chargers could care less how much AC they consume, maybe one of the new 'smart chargers' could be higher numbers but also probably inject a lot of noise & interferance from high frequency pulses so using a converter with its regulated & filtered output would stop that.