Author Topic: VAWT new proto-type  (Read 248622 times)

GoVertical

VAWT new proto-type
« on: July 20, 2010, 09:21:48 PM »
I completed fabricating a new VAWT. I still need to attach the PMA. I will first try direct drive and if that proofs not to provide enough RPM's it can easily be configure with a pulley and belt drive.  The proto-type shows the hub needs a lot of improvement and I still need to add alignment braces to the top and bottom of vertical blades.  The designs allows for easily increasing the blade size if required. Waiting for wind so performance can be evaluated. Still lots of room for improvement but all in all, it is a good start. Comments welcome. Cheers.

Learn from the past, live in the present, plan for the future
kilroyOdin is not here ;)
SEMPER FEROX

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: VAWT new proto-type
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 01:26:38 AM »
I just like the look of it.  Why ruin the appearance with a bunch of wires?   ;)
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 04:11:57 AM »
I like the way you can adapt to add larger blades if necessary.
What have you decided to use as bearings on the inside.

"Waiting for wind" yup Murphy's first law of "mills... has come to visit you too.

Cheers
Bruce S

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

GoVertical

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 08:20:46 AM »
Greetings, The bearings are 5/8 ID and I have to fabricate the PMA with a rotating central shaft. All previous PMA's were constructed with a stationary central shaft.  I found some off the shelf hubs that will aid with fabrication. I used plastic paneling I found at HOME DEPOT for the blades.  The concept drawing shows 6 blade but I cracked one of the blades testing how far it would bend so I reconfigured the proto-type with 5 blade just to test if it could be fabricated.  What would perform better 5 or 6 blades?  Still no wind, but I mounted a trailer hatch to the car so I use a cargo carrier and mount the VAWT for testing. It gives the neighbors something to talk about when I do the road tests, but it is all in good fun. Thanks for the input and best regards. 

HUB link:
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/hvac/parts/fan-blades/packard-hex-round-hub-5-8-bore-2-set-screws?utm_source=google_pr&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Replacement-Fan-Blades-google_pr&infoParam.campaignId=T9F

SEMPER FEROX

taylorp035

• Stressed spelled backwards is Desserts
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 10:54:31 AM »
I would make it as tall as possible for a larger windswept area.  As for the 6 blades, I am not sure, but it has to be better than my 3 bladed attempt:
http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,143339.0.html

What rpm are you shooting for?  I would think you would want cut in to be about 30-40 rpm with a diameter of about 2-3 feet.

I found that my 3 blade version failed mainly b/c of the shape of the blades.  It would shake a lot too. 

Good luck!

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 02:01:33 AM »
Greetings, The bearings are 5/8 ID and I have to fabricate the PMA with a rotating central shaft. All previous PMA's were constructed with a stationary central shaft.  I found some off the shelf hubs that will aid with fabrication. I used plastic paneling I found at HOME DEPOT for the blades.  The concept drawing shows 6 blade but I cracked one of the blades testing how far it would bend so I reconfigured the proto-type with 5 blade just to test if it could be fabricated.  What would perform better 5 or 6 blades?  Still no wind, but I mounted a trailer hatch to the car so I use a cargo carrier and mount the VAWT for testing. It gives the neighbors something to talk about when I do the road tests, but it is all in good fun. Thanks for the input and best regards. 

(Attachment Link)
The performance of a 5 or 6 bladed unit will actually depend on its balance more than one extra or less blade. One of the things you will need to possibly look at, is how the air moves in and out of your design. Once the air has had a chance to get into the scoops, it must be able to exit without too much extra work.
Personally : I would go with the 5 bladed unit and calculate the swept area for it, if you need more, or want higher RPMs then go taller not wider. Too many blades could work against you as they start to get in each others wind.

Also; remember the genset does not have to be right at the hub or blades. This is one of the "pros" of a VAWT whereas you can locate the genset were you want within reason.
Hope this helps;
Bruce S

GoVertical

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 07:28:06 PM »
Greetings, posted video and still waiting for wind  :-[

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCs7-HHadwk
SEMPER FEROX

bj

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 09:45:26 PM »
  GoVertical:   Hope it works out, 'cause it sure looks slick.  Kind of makes me want to try one, but I am already
confused enough with horizontals.
  Good luck.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.

None54

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 08:35:35 PM »
Hello all...new to the sceen, I'm also working on a vertical axis wind turbine. I find this site and the welth of knowledge absolutly fasinating. Very well to the point and in such a wide array of topics.   None54

GoVertical

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 09:47:08 AM »
Hello all...new to the sceen, I'm also working on a vertical axis wind turbine. I find this site and the welth of knowledge absolutly fasinating. Very well to the point and in such a wide array of topics.   None54

Greetings and welcome. I hope to see some pic's of your project.
http://www.vawts.net/
The above link is another great site for VAWT. Cheers
SEMPER FEROX

None54

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 07:51:03 PM »
To: Go vertical
I hesitate to post a picture right here since this you'r post, and also because I don't have a clue as to how to do it, I'll read up on the distructions and possibly send some to a new post.
You'r machine looks somewhat simular to mine and still different in manyways, but a Grand Lady she is...awsum, good work and keep the progress going, sooner or later one of us will make one that really performs like we dream it should...like Edison said...I have'nt failed 1000 times to make a light bulb...I mearly found 1000 ways on how not to make a light bulb.  Cheers

GoVertical

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 11:43:32 PM »
Greetings, posted new video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXRkMVc7Q1M

wind speed 3 to 5 MPH.

To post pic's just use the Additional Options...  Best regards
SEMPER FEROX

GoVertical

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 09:06:48 PM »
Greetings, completed fabrication of new hub assembly. The new hub will have 6 Blades. 5 blades just looked a little odd;) cheers

SEMPER FEROX

GoVertical

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 12:52:43 PM »

Completed hub and spoke up-grade. I am using the same fabrication techniques as earlier. I am having difficulty drilling the required holes perpendicular to each other on the cylinder if anyone know a good shop method that will allow me to drill perpendicular holes on a cylinder please let me know.   

SEMPER FEROX

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 09:26:53 AM »
(Attachment Link)

Completed hub and spoke up-grade. I am using the same fabrication techniques as earlier. I am having difficulty drilling the required holes perpendicular to each other on the cylinder if anyone know a good shop method that will allow me to drill perpendicular holes on a cylinder please let me know.   

Do not mistake me for a builder. But...

When I need a square hole through a cylinder [crosswise] I lay it in the bottom of a _V_ of material then center it under the bit in the drill press. Seems very good. I keep a jig like this on hand just for this use.

Tom

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 10:14:18 AM »
a square hole through a cylinder [crosswise]

Keeping the table in the same height position for the whole task gets easier when aligning the V-notch jig if one uses a long fine drill-bit, say 1/16" or finer to decrease the margin of error. I keep a five-inch 1/16" drill bit just for starting bores that can't wander or walk off center too much...

GoVertical

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 09:17:25 PM »
Greetings, thanks for the shop tip. Once you have a set of holes in the cylinder how do make a second set of holes perpendicular to the first set of holes on the same cylinder? The project requires this so the vertical blade supports are perpendicular to the rotor drive plate. This is where I am having difficulty. Thanks in advance for any help received.
SEMPER FEROX

wolfie

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 11:37:18 PM »
make a sqr wooden block....bore a hole the size of your pipe down its length...slip the pipe in it ...but it in your vice and drill thru the center...put a pin thru the hole, rotate the block 90degrees, drill the perpendicular hole

GoVertical

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 08:31:34 PM »
I completed case and rotors.  A 8 inch PVC fitting is being used for the case. I still have to mount magnets and wire stators. Stator will be wired as a 3 phase star configuration.  I only have room in the case for two stators and three rotors. Stators will be 6 coils per phase and the center rotor will have 12, 1by1 inch cylinders, N43 magnets and the top and bottom rotors will have 12, ½ by 1 inch cylinders, N43 magnets. I am concerned with the weight, it is going to be heavy. I order some corrugated plastic sheets to fabricated the new blades. This should help reduce the weight.  Hoping to start testing next weekend. 

SEMPER FEROX

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 01:44:56 AM »
Its good to see your still making these mechanisms  ,GoVertical

I was worried that i had talked you out of it  ;)
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

GoVertical

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 11:15:35 AM »

Greetings, looking for a practical way to log accumulated amp hours. I can set up a old desk top and maybe write some VB code and use the compiler with Access to graph the real time results using a .DLL I was able to download to read the parallel port, but I still need a way to measure the values.  A low cost off the shelf item would be great, if not I maybe able to just use a ADC to measure voltage produce at the load and use code to produce the other values.

Side Project Criteria:

1. Measure wind speed
2. Measure power being generated
3. Plot Graphs on PC

VAWT project update:

Waiting for Coroplast order to arrive so new  blades fabrication can be completed. Fabricated all parts required for one 5 blade, one 6 blade VAWT, and 2 vertical stator PMA's; one 2 stator 9 coil 3 phase that is 8 inch diameter and the other is a 3 stator 8 coil 3 phase that is 6 is inch diameter. I hope to complete testing before it snows. Comments welcome. Cheers 

SEMPER FEROX

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 12:40:44 PM »
Looks like you're setup to have way too much fun  ;D.
I am a little curious, what are your magnet hubs made of?
It looks very similar to the plastic wood sold at H.D..

looks like its very user friendly including it will not need sealant to keep it dry.

Not remembering where you are located, but around here (St Louis) there's a whole bunch of leftover political signs that could be had of the picking up.

Cheers;
Bruce S

GoVertical

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 01:28:18 PM »
Greetings, last post correction 6 coils per phase, not 9.  Yes the rotors and end caps are plastic decks boards purchased at Lowes. I use Gorilla glue to hold the magnets in place, it works really well and if a mistake is made the magnet can still be pushed out without damage using an arbor press. Great recycling tip about the signs.  The deck boards machine nice on the CNC router.
Best regards
SEMPER FEROX

Tritium

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 05:04:27 PM »
I am curious how you intend to complete the path for the magnetic flux using  plastic rotors ?

Thurmond

GoVertical

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 07:58:45 PM »
I am curious how you intend to complete the path for the magnetic flux using  plastic rotors ?

Thurmond

Greetings,  About a year ago I fabricated two identical PMA's. The only difference was one with metal rotors and one using the plastic deck material for the rotors.  After testing I found no difference between the outputs.
When people started making their own PMA's, using auto parts was a good source for prefabbed parts. Fabricating parts using the plastic deck material is just easier for me.  If you glue two magnets to a piece of Plexiglas and sprinkle metal shaving on the other side it will show the lines of flux between the two magnets with out the need for a piece metal.  I am sure many will disagree. 
Best regards
SEMPER FEROX

Tritium

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 08:50:16 PM »
Yes in your instance the flux follows the iron filing path but the flux lines will not do the same without the iron filings. Any iron in the path causes channeling of flux.

Thurmond

GoVertical

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 08:04:16 AM »
Greetings, yes some designs do require the presents of metal to redirect the lines of flux to work. This one does not.
Best regards
SEMPER FEROX

None54

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2010, 09:01:09 AM »
Drilling or machineing needed at 90* or what ever degree for that matter can be done by first checking the level of the drill press/boreing machine...then simply level the piece to be worked in the chuck/vise in both axis. After the first bore is compleated - rotate it 90* and relevel the 1st bore again, in both axis. This will assure the piece is correctly positioned.
None54

GoVertical

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 06:01:27 AM »
Greetings, based on the suggestions I fabricated a jig consisting of 4 blocks with the centers bored out to accept the PCV pipe. The blocks are held in position by 4 threaded rods and the 90 degree holes where drilled in the appropriate locations. A bolt is placed in the first hole to hold the pipe in its location as the other 90 degrees holes are drilled. I will post pic's after the camera is repaired. Yes, I broke it.  On the bright side, magnets are glued in the rotors and today I should find out if the vertically stacked stators will work for the PMA.  The PMA has been fabricated so the stators can be wired for series, Delta, or Star.
Thanks for all the help received. Cheers
SEMPER FEROX

GoVertical

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 10:26:25 AM »
 Greetings, completed assembly of vertically stacked multiple stator PMA. It works. Spinning by hand with no load at very low RPM output was approximately 24 volts AC. ;) Cheers
SEMPER FEROX

GoVertical

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 10:41:08 AM »
Apparently, Vertically stacked stators for a air gap axle flux is not a new idea. Patent Storm has a few patents listed going back a couple of years.  Oh well, the idea is new to me. Cheers.   8)
SEMPER FEROX

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2010, 11:01:27 AM »
Search the board for " multiple stators ".
It's generally not considered the best use of materials.
http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,144082.0.html

Tritium's concern is valid and proven.  Output will suffer without a complete flux path behind the magnets on the outer rotors.

I do look forward to the testing of the PMA.
Interesting design using common materials, and I love that.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

GoVertical

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 05:44:20 PM »
Greetings, I was reading the wind speed for wattage rating for wind turbine in the USA is about 28 miles per hour. Any ideas on what load they are using???
SEMPER FEROX