Logged in users > User Diaries

VAWT new proto-type

<< < (5/104) > >>

GoVertical:

Greetings, looking for a practical way to log accumulated amp hours. I can set up a old desk top and maybe write some VB code and use the compiler with Access to graph the real time results using a .DLL I was able to download to read the parallel port, but I still need a way to measure the values.  A low cost off the shelf item would be great, if not I maybe able to just use a ADC to measure voltage produce at the load and use code to produce the other values.

Side Project Criteria:

1. Measure wind speed
2. Measure power being generated
3. Plot Graphs on PC

VAWT project update:

Waiting for Coroplast order to arrive so new  blades fabrication can be completed. Fabricated all parts required for one 5 blade, one 6 blade VAWT, and 2 vertical stator PMA's; one 2 stator 9 coil 3 phase that is 8 inch diameter and the other is a 3 stator 8 coil 3 phase that is 6 is inch diameter. I hope to complete testing before it snows. Comments welcome. Cheers 

Bruce S:
Looks like you're setup to have way too much fun  ;D.
I am a little curious, what are your magnet hubs made of?
It looks very similar to the plastic wood sold at H.D..

looks like its very user friendly including it will not need sealant to keep it dry.

Not remembering where you are located, but around here (St Louis) there's a whole bunch of leftover political signs that could be had of the picking up.

Cheers;
Bruce S

GoVertical:
Greetings, last post correction 6 coils per phase, not 9.  Yes the rotors and end caps are plastic decks boards purchased at Lowes. I use Gorilla glue to hold the magnets in place, it works really well and if a mistake is made the magnet can still be pushed out without damage using an arbor press. Great recycling tip about the signs.  The deck boards machine nice on the CNC router.
Best regards

Tritium:
I am curious how you intend to complete the path for the magnetic flux using  plastic rotors ?

Thurmond

GoVertical:

--- Quote from: Tritium on August 23, 2010, 05:04:27 PM ---I am curious how you intend to complete the path for the magnetic flux using  plastic rotors ?

Thurmond

--- End quote ---

Greetings,  About a year ago I fabricated two identical PMA's. The only difference was one with metal rotors and one using the plastic deck material for the rotors.  After testing I found no difference between the outputs.
When people started making their own PMA's, using auto parts was a good source for prefabbed parts. Fabricating parts using the plastic deck material is just easier for me.  If you glue two magnets to a piece of Plexiglas and sprinkle metal shaving on the other side it will show the lines of flux between the two magnets with out the need for a piece metal.  I am sure many will disagree. 
Best regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version