Author Topic: coil winding technique  (Read 2821 times)

artv

coil winding technique
« on: August 07, 2010, 07:06:08 PM »
Hi all wound some coils today.....quite a mess ......after you wind the coil can you take it and spin the wires ,that are or have, more slack,...........kind of twist the wires on themselves.........to tighten them up...............to make the coil take up less space..........more compact ?  Or do the coils have to be very uniform in construction........I searched for coil design ...found some very interesting stuff...................ask a 20sec question .....get a detour that could take a lifetime.......this is the best site going.................artv

imsmooth

Re: coil winding technique
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 01:39:37 AM »
I am not an authority on coil winding, but I would think you want them all to be as close to the same as possible.  Also, you do not want any slack.  Non-uniform coils will give slightly different voltages; slack will result in vibrations, which will ultimately destroy the stator from mechanical fatigue.

I used a coil winding machine http://www.mindchallenger.com/wind/axial5.html

You can also build a simple one that is described on the Otherpower website.

I wound my coils on my form with exactly the same thickness.  I then applied superglue and used vices to compress them into solid pancakes.  I then wired these together and fixed them with the fiberglass/ATH mix.

Beaufort

Re: coil winding technique
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 09:03:55 AM »
If you twist the coils as you describe, does the middle get smaller?  I'm assuming you're talking about round coils.

Having loose wires is not good; you need more tension when winding them so they lay down next to each other.  For thicker wire, the wire should be layed into the groove between two wires laid down on the previous layer as much as possible.  Too much tension will not allow the wires to fall into place and will not track nicely for thicker wire.  Just go slowly and carefully lay the wire down in rows as much as possible.  I use a semi-automatic hand-guided machine and it takes me 15 minutes to complete a perfect 100 turn coil (including taping and removing from the winding fixture).