Author Topic: rotor question  (Read 2447 times)

artv

rotor question
« on: May 07, 2010, 08:47:25 PM »
Hello everyone ......(that is that reads this)....If you have dual rotors ,can you keep one stationary while the other spins....or would this create major cogging..........Reason for asking ....is if it makes no diference then we could load the idle side with lots of mags increasing the flux........sorry...lol.....artv

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: rotor question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 08:56:55 PM »
The flux issues are irrelevant.
The thing would not turn.
You can not imagine the cogging that would create.

I tried to fix a disk (with magnets) in place, with a threaded axle, then tried to screw the other disk (with magnets) on, in an attempt to make an easily adjustable gap.
And before the disks got anywhere near close enough together, could not turn it with small wrenches.
Magnets broke free from the disk while trying.

It was a small one.  Disk diameter was maybe 4"?
Little tiny HD neos.
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

artv

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 09:24:35 PM »
thanks for the reply ghurd....I never realized that these neo's were that strong......I'm  only using ceramics for now till I understand ...just another thought passing through................artv

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 06:42:32 PM »
The usual method for this type of genny is to have a Dual Rotor machine, but put all the magnets on only 1 rotor. One rotor would have the magnets, the other rotor is only there to Channel the magnetic flux to complete the magnetic circuit. But both must rotate at the same speed.

foogimicester

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 07:45:44 PM »
I'm a little confused about why you need the dual rotors. Can't you just put another disk on the other side of the coils (without rotors attached) that is connected to the actual rotors through the hole in the middle of your coil set up?

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 10:08:35 PM »
disk = rotors

both disks (sometimes called rotors) are fixed to a common drive as you suggest for a single set of blades (which are also sometimes called a rotor)

in this cases they are referring to disks or more specifically rotating magnetic elements

:)

bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

foogimicester

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 09:45:47 AM »
Okay. That is what I thought would make sense... I thought they were talking about two back to back rotors with the blades to catch the wind attached... thanks.

WindJuggler

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 04:36:19 PM »
The dual rotors means you have 2 discs connected to the blades that spin. The stator (coils) is sandwiched in between.

If you want to make one stationairy, you will have to make it laminated in the correct direction (like a transformer) and without magnets.
Preferably the coils over this laminated steel. This will complete the flux circuit. Nobody has tried this yet but it should be doable if you have the right tools and connections for the steel.

This setup will give a lot more cogging.

The normal setup is pretty well documented on otherpower.com in the upper right corner of this page is the link.
Wim

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 05:24:36 PM »
thanks for the reply ghurd....I never realized that these neo's were that strong......I'm  only using ceramics for now till I understand ...just another thought passing through................artv

The magnets on my mill are 3x1.5x.75 neos and they are scary strong, they can easily cause extreme bodily injury, two neos slamming together could shatter and fill your eyes with shards, and the two discs with 16 magnets each could easily take fingers off, these things need to be treated like a loaded gun.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

luv2weld

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 11:10:09 AM »
What fabricator said!!!

Warning: Real life changing accident documented in following link
DanG!
scienceblogs.com/sciencepunk/2009/03/how_to_remove_a_finger_with_tw.php

:o

Ralph
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 08:38:18 PM by DanG »
The best way to "kill time" is to work it to death!

artv

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 12:04:44 AM »
Sorry for the old thread......... Woofer you said, the laminated core must rotate at the same speed as the mag rotor.....In a motor ..the laminations don't rotate......what am I missing?.............artv

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 06:55:31 PM »
I am understanding that this thread is about a dual rotor machine with the magnets only on one side or on a single rotor. This has nothing to do with laminated cores, there is no way to rotate a core separate from the coil. But with the magnets on just one rotor, if the rotor without the magnets does not rotate you will get drag from eddy currents, However if the rotor without the magnets rotates along with the magnets you still get the magnetic return circuits without the Eddy Current drag and there would be no need for laminations.

In a Motor the second rotor is fixed and can't rotate with the magnets, so the second rotor is made from laminations to reduce the Eddy Current drag as much as possible.