Author Topic: Sloped or steep drop  (Read 2259 times)

Harold in CR

Sloped or steep drop
« on: September 09, 2010, 07:24:21 AM »

Is it better to have a steady slope from the water source to the turbine or a slight drop and then drop nearly straight vertical into the turbine ??

I'm trying to gain every advantage I can think of ??

hydrosun

Re: Sloped or steep drop
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 11:35:46 AM »
In an enclosed pipe it doesn't make any difference as long as there isn't any place for air to get trapped. The pressure at the bottom determines the power available. The shorter the pipe the less pressure is lost.
 In larger systems, open canals or flumes are used to carry the water long distances on the level with a large pipe for the final drop. That is done to keep down  the cost of the large pipe. 
Chris

Harold in CR

Re: Sloped or steep drop
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 02:55:50 PM »

Should have added more info. I can run a 4" pipe a total of 90' in a slope that drops a total of 9'. OR, I can run that same pipe, just off level, for 85+' and drop through a sweep for that 8' or near straight down. I ruled out the sluice, because of all the debris where the water runs through the jungle before it gets to the opening I have to work in.

This is also on my own project that won't work, for lack of water and head. I'm just 'sperimenten.  ::) ;D

Other Banki Turbine thread, is a far neighbor. just WISH I had his water.  ::) ::)

Thanks for the info.