Author Topic: is icorporating hydraulics into the mill possible  (Read 1157 times)

johnyb

is icorporating hydraulics into the mill possible
« on: July 29, 2010, 09:34:52 AM »
Just for grins and giggles. If you took the the pmg out of mill axle, and put a 15" pulley connected to 3" pulley, a 5 to one racial. With that 3" pulley connected to a hydraulic pump, of course connected to a compatible hydraulic motor. which spins the pmg the torque and force from the blade would be captured by the hydraulic circuit, considering hydraulic circuits have very little loses from input to output. could u gain rpms and inturn more energy? may also have to balance the mill with a flywheel some where in line before the tail just throwing this idea out there see if it sticks.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 10:14:21 AM by DanG »

Perry1

Re: is icorporating hydraulics into the mill possible
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 11:56:40 AM »
Hydrostatic drive lines won't increase the energy. Nothing ever will. Think of it as a simple transmission between your blades and your generator. The more stuff you add the more losses you will have. Unless this setup buys you something in the way of solving other implementation/design issues it probably won't go anywhere.
Perry

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 09:33:27 PM »
In the power transmission game every step you take away from direct drive means lost energy
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 10:11:03 PM »
Though you'll lose some energy you could in principle use a hydraulic motor that will turn with far more RPM than the hydraulic pump that drove it to make a hydraulic replacement for a gearbox.  Higher RPM means you can design a genny with less magnets and copper for a given amount of electricity generated.

I probably wouldn't do it that way, since I understand hydraulic systems lose more power than gearboxes.  But if you're comfy with hydraulics, why not try it?