Author Topic: Obtaining a listeroid engine  (Read 26053 times)

Biohazard

Obtaining a listeroid engine
« on: August 07, 2010, 05:36:43 AM »
I've really really wanted to have a slow speed lister of my very own ever since the first time I saw one. Years ago it seemed like they were almost a dime a dozen on ebay and various other websites, but I know the EPA put an end to that.

So my question is, where, if anywhere, can I purchase a brand new listeroid engine today? Is there any way to get one inside the US besides smuggling it across the border myself?  ;D

As a side note, I'm interested in running the lister on mostly natural gas. This seems to make the EPA's "evil dirty diesel" arguement null and void. Is it possible to buy one as a "natural gas engine" rather than a "diesel engine"?

luv2weld

Re: Obtaining a listeroid engine
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 11:40:22 AM »
Have you tried using a search engine??   Such as Google, dogpile, etc??
Have you looked at eBay, Craigslist, etc???
Couple of sites that I know of right off---Central Maine Diesel http://www.generatorsales.com/
Diesel Electric Services http://www.diesel-electric.us/
And there are a lot more

Ralph
The best way to "kill time" is to work it to death!

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 02:59:47 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lister-HR3-G-Industrial-Natural-Gas-Engine-Good-Runner-/120509214593?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

you mean like this NG Lister conversion? Don't search ebay using "listeroid" use "lister diesel" or "lister engine"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lister-Petter-LPSW3-New-Diesel-Engine-/150469950579?pt=BI_Generators  new Lister Petter

http://www.centralmainediesel.com/order/yanmar_4kw.asp?page=yanmar_4kw   Yanmar Diesel that has fuel economy equivalent to a Lister

Biohazard

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 05:57:11 AM »
Have you tried using a search engine??   Such as Google, dogpile, etc??
Have you looked at eBay, Craigslist, etc???
Couple of sites that I know of right off---Central Maine Diesel http://www.generatorsales.com/
Diesel Electric Services http://www.diesel-electric.us/
And there are a lot more
Interesting, did the EPA not ban importation of these in 2009 like I have read on more than one website? There are NO "listeroids" on ebay, only parts, that's why I assumed they were no longer available. The only listers on ebay are real listers, that are real old.

Yes I found that natural gas engine but it could already have 10,000 hours on it for all I know...

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 06:49:09 AM »
i have available 4 indian engines

all are petteroids, twin cylinder with waterpump/fan/radiators
two are 20hp twins and the other two are 28hp twins
they are all new, all still in the crate, all preban 1999 engine's
so i guess these would be called NOS (new old stock) engines

that is the hp rating at 1800rpm, although they can be slowed to about 1000rpm as well

pm me if you have any interest

bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

Biohazard

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 04:47:15 PM »
i have available 4 indian engines

all are petteroids, twin cylinder with waterpump/fan/radiators
two are 20hp twins and the other two are 28hp twins
they are all new, all still in the crate, all preban 1999 engine's
so i guess these would be called NOS (new old stock) engines

that is the hp rating at 1800rpm, although they can be slowed to about 1000rpm as well

pm me if you have any interest

bob g

Unfortunately I'm looking for something more in the 6/1 range.

The diesel electric website posted above tells me the price has gone up to $1875 from the $1295 listed on the website and they ONLY come in as parts....confirming they are no longer available available for import. (convenient that they forgot to change the price huh?) I also find their $550 shipping price pretty ridiculous. I'm surprised more people on this board don't know about the new laws and near impossibility to get a new listeroid...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 04:50:30 PM by Biohazard »

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 07:12:49 PM »
anybody that imports one of the non compliant engine's whether in parts or complete is risking a seriously ugly fine from the epa.

i have been around this stuff for a very long time, and have read reams of regulations from the epa
there is no way to import them for use in straight up power generation under any circumstances.

btw, the 20/2 will derate to about 10 hp at 1000rpm
fwiw

good luck on your quest

bob g
aka "mobile_bob"

;)

research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

Biohazard

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 02:58:10 AM »
anybody that imports one of the non compliant engine's whether in parts or complete is risking a seriously ugly fine from the epa.

That's interesting, they asked me if I wanted to be put on a list for the next shipment coming in. Would you happen to know if it is possible to import one strictly as a natural gas machine?

Is there any possibility that these engines could be adapted to be "compliant" in the future? Or are we at the end of the line here?  :-\

luv2weld

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 10:49:39 AM »
I may be poking a hornet's nest with a short stick, but it sure looks to me like something is wrong here.
I hear a lot of excuses and double talk about why the options offered are no good.
And since I'm a retired heavy equipment mechanic, I don't know much about using natural gas
in a diesel engine. I do think that for long engine life and lots of torque, you use diesel.
In defense of Diesel Electric's faux pas of not updating their website the instant they had to raise prices----
Like a lot of other businesses, they are probably struggling just to stay alive. Updating the website
was probably on the list of things to do, just not at the top of the list.
By the way, I have to attachment to DES other than I have done business with them in the past, and find
them to be honest and efficient.
Also they have no control over shipping prices. They call a freight company and get a quote based on their
zip code and your zip code. They don't get any of the freight charge.

The people that inhabit this website are people that get things done, no matter what roadblocks or
problems pop up. We are not whiners or government shills looking to cause trouble.
Are you one of us or one of them????

Ralph

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 11:04:34 AM »

Also they have no control over shipping prices. They call a freight company and get a quote based on their
zip code and your zip code. They don't get any of the freight charge.

Ralph

Ralph;

You sure hit the nail right on the hammer there!

I sell stuff on Feebay much  of it freight level shipping due to size or weight.

Its not my idea to charge $600 to ship a 1000# 100 HP motor 475 miles that is what it takes to convince the shipper to do it.

I don't charge more than the cost, either but I sure get flak for it  :(.

Anyway just how it is on freighting items. International is even worse with customs etc. I simply do not ship interrnational myself.

Sorry for the topic drift but shipping was menioned.

Tom

Biohazard

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 10:39:48 PM »
Hmm, well, I've shipped iron V8 engines and outboard boat motors before for much less than $0.50/pound. That's outrageous, I don't care who's profiting off of it. It's a definate deal killer. Specifically I have a business address with a loading dock to deliver to, so I should get an extra discount for that...

luv2weld

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 09:59:59 AM »
I've shipped iron V8 engines and outboard boat motors before for much less than $0.50/pound.

Key word in that statement is before.
You do know that prices for everything are completely through the roof??
If you think they are exaggerating the freight charges, call some freight companies yourself.
Diesel Elec. Services are located here---Chase, Kansas 67524
Give the freight company your zip code, tell them you want 880 pounds on one pallet shipped from 67524
to your zip and see what you get. I'd be surprised if you get
a quote even close to what they gave you. Since they ship all the time, if anybody
gets a discount, it's the one that ships every day. A once in a lifetime shipment
doesn't rate a discount.

One more thing, would you haul 880 pounds that far for $550??
If the answer is "Yes", load up and go pick it up. Save the freight charge.

Ralph

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 10:52:17 AM »
Ralph;

Yeah, the weight shipped  and how far Kind of like watts vs watthours. Both factors are needed.

freightquote.com is a good way to find relative costs.

I am speaking from current experience like last week. Costs to ship freight items have gone up a lot the last few months.

Tom

Biohazard

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 06:36:07 PM »
Give the freight company your zip code, tell them you want 880 pounds on one pallet shipped from 67524
to your zip and see what you get. I'd be surprised if you get
a quote even close to what they gave you.

Well, I can guarantee you that engine got shipped to the US from India (illegally) for less money than they want to ship across a small part of the US.

I stand by what I said before. I'm not dumb, this isn't the only time I've ever shipped something heavy. This is not a "once in a lifetime" shipment, why do you think I have a business address with a loading dock? ::)

And would I haul it for $550? yeah, if it was on a truckload of other crap headed the same way also being paid for. One pallet only takes up a very, very small portion of a truck. Also you only have to count the fuel one direction that way...

language - keep it G rated please?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 06:56:03 PM by DanG »

luv2weld

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 11:45:43 AM »
why do you think I have a business address with a loading dock?

And how do we know this?? Next question, do we care?
Looks to me like you have a mind like a steel trap.

Ralph

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 07:04:08 PM »
I pic and pak for a living. Fifty cents a pound isn't real unless it's inside a state so the carrier doesn't have as many rules to follow. UPS freight hundredweight for a large bulk shipper like where I work is 60 cents/pound and that's after a huge discount because of the bulk we ship.

If you know someone who sends and receives a lot of truck freight and doesn't mind doing you a favor, they could ship it on their account and you reimburse them.

That's how we do personal packages at work. I only pay about 55% of the casual rate for shipping UPS packages because I can use our corporate account.

Biohazard

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 10:21:34 PM »
And how do we know this?? Next question, do we care?
Looks to me like you have a mind like a steel trap.
Did you even bother to read my post?  ::) And, if you knew anything about shipping, you'd know business addresses get cheaper rates, and those with loading docks even cheaper. Sounds like your "trap" needs some oil...

if you guys cannot play nice i will lock this thread.
Kurt

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 08:29:57 AM by kurt »

comp

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 10:46:08 AM »
never heard about this ban,,,anybody have a short reason ?

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 10:52:35 AM »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller