Author Topic: FANUC SERVO MOTOR HELP NEEDED  (Read 4404 times)

Isaiah

FANUC SERVO MOTOR HELP NEEDED
« on: August 14, 2010, 11:27:39 PM »
Bub's has a fanuc servo motor with a tapered shaft and wants me to turn it straight!
 Can this be done by taking the armature out of the motor and put it in the lathe  and turn a section of the shaft straight to fit a hub for wind mill blades without the magnets going dead??
  I understand if you were to take the armature and turn it at hi rpm's in the lathe the magnets may become dislocated.
 Dose any one have any input on this ?
Dose anybody know what thread and pitch is on the shaft it looks to be 12 mm something fine?
 any help will be appreciated.

12AX7

Re: FANUC SERVO MOTOR HELP NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 01:44:07 AM »
Hello..

I've read posts here from others that have claimed that removing a rotor from a servo motor will result in loss of magnetism. 
I have a kollmorgen servo motor that had it's rotor removed for close to a year (that's the way I pulled it from the junk pile).  Before installing it I checked it with a steel ruler and found that the magnets had plenty of pull.
Upon installing the rotor and spinning it I found that there was plenty of power coming out of it.  shorting any of the phases makes it very hard to turn,  all three phases shorted makes it VERY hard to turn.
Spinning it by hand and touching the phases together makes a impressive spark.

I've had the rotors out of a number of Allen Bradlys  with the same results.

I've NEVER played with a Fanuc so I can't say what you'll find.

About turning down the shaft,  not sure how you would chuck it in the lathe,  would depend on the rotor.
What might be a problem is the encoder/reslover  Some are very very tricky!   if the intentions are to TOTALLY give up on the "SERVO" part of the motor and use it ONLY for an alternator the encoder can be trashed when the rotor is removed.
On another note,  I recall ZUBBLY once talking about running a three phase motor and using a file to "square" up a tapered shaft.  It's been a number of years..   I think Zubbly filed down the shaft and then brotched (SP??) a key way on the shaft.
I don't know about holding tolerance!   Taper locks can be very fussy!
Depending on the motors voltage rating,  you may be able to apply three phase power to the main power leads and spin the rotor.      One would have to be VERY careful and know what kind of trouble they could get themselves into!!
I'm sure that anyone who knows how to use a lathe could handle it.  But this isn't for someone with out the proper skills!!   both to file down the shaft and to hook up the power!   
The larger the power rating...  the larger the risk!
Also,  be aware that many servo motors have internal brakes!   make sure the shaft spins freely!!

Good luck!

ax7
Mark

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 04:37:47 AM »
You are opening a whole can of worms by trying to remove the rotor and machine the taper.

I strongly suggest that if you are prepared to do machining that you make an adapter with a taper to suit the shaft and make that fit whatever he needs to drive it with.

Dismantling servo motors is not something to be undertaken lightly without suitable equipment and you may loose some magnet performance depending on the magnet type used in it. If you do attempt it then be very careful, the forces will be large and fairly uncontrollable, think each step carefully and still you will probably get a surprise.

Depending on the taper you will also weaken the shaft if you turn it parallel so be sure there is enough meat left for the job.

Flux

jeraklidis

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 04:53:31 AM »
Bub's has a fanuc servo motor with a tapered shaft and wants me to turn it straight!
 Can this be done by taking the armature out of the motor and put it in the lathe  and turn a section of the shaft straight to fit a hub for wind mill blades without the magnets going dead??
  I understand if you were to take the armature and turn it at hi rpm's in the lathe the magnets may become dislocated.
 Dose any one have any input on this ?
Dose anybody know what thread and pitch is on the shaft it looks to be 12 mm something fine?
 any help will be appreciated.

Not a good idea... I used to work for a servo motor company and they inserted the shafts (with neo magnets) hydraulically... they warned us that since the tolerances were so tight that a misalignment + your hand can spell the end of a finger or hand... thankfully I didn't work on the manufacturing floor...

Before you touch the shaft have you thought about a coupler?
http://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-couplings/=8etgxk

or attaching a large gear to the rotor and welding one to the shaft of the motor(or some other type of arrangement)?
http://www.mcmaster.com/#gears/=8ethwp

machining flats on the shaft would be my last option but still a good one... there are a lot of choices to try... find a "least effort" choice that works with your RPM and specific vibration characteristics...

freejuice

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 07:18:49 AM »
Off th top of my head there are about three metric sizes for a 12 mm thread... unless you are running into a  propietary thread. If you dont have a thread pitch guage you need to count the number of threads from the crest of one thread to the next with a scale or ruler to deterimine your thread pitch....say over a 10 mm length...or 1/2 inch and convert.

you have out there as a common thread pitches for the 12 mm: 12x1 , 12x1.25 and that corase beast at 12x1.5

DragonFly III

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 11:11:24 AM »
While turning (if this is a good idea)  why wouldn't you put a collar around the mags to hold them in place.

DFII

PS. I don't have a lathe or have ever used one but I have had mags hit me at high velocity.  I now where a face shield during testing.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 11:42:10 AM »
I do not believe the problem is with the magnets coming loose.
It is either the physical reassembling, or loss of power after it is reassembled.

With what I have done (smaller units) the problem is they lose a lot of power.
One of mine went from possibly usable to definitely useless.
I 'won' one on ebay that was previously disassembled and the output was near 0VAC.
A young member here disassembled his small unit for a couple minutes and the output dropped ~25% IIRC, could have been more than that.
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

DragonFly III

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 03:11:50 AM »
I'm curious.  Why do they lose power???

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 03:32:10 AM »
i've got a fanuc.  you can remove the brake by cracking the back half of the case without removing the stator or rotor.  i don't know much of how much you may or may not lose in magnet strength by separating the two.  they do seem to be very robust units!  mine is a 2000 rpm,  140v,  20amp, three phase unit.  do not try to spin these up with a three phase mains.  these motors run on special power of some sort...  don't really know.  my motor has become an almost complete 8.5' hawt.

hoping to get it flying before the summer ends!

adam