Author Topic: Newbie says hello  (Read 1758 times)

Dutch John

Newbie says hello
« on: August 22, 2010, 10:49:44 AM »
Hello group,

I am new to small windturbines, but determined to build one. Glancing through this forum, I realize I've got a lot of reading to do.... Ultimate goal is to have a small windturbine in combination with a few solar panels and a battery pack in order to feed part of our home. Additional a small backup generator powered by woodgas. The later one is ready. You can read about it on my website: AGGRESSIVE AD SITE REMOVED under "Microgasifiers".

Meanwhile I started the turbine build, using Hugh Piggott's plans. 3 m diameter, 800 Watt, 24 Volt. Height 10 meters. The frame, the easiest part, is almost done. Now a question that comes up: between stator and rectifier will be about 20 meters. I have this 25 meter flexible cable with 5 wires of 6 mm2 hanging around. 5 wires fit very well; 3 for the turbine and 2 for the panels. I presume it is on the small side, but copper is expensive at the moment. What do you think?

Regards,
DJ
Netherlands
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 11:38:56 AM by TomW »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Newbie says hello
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 11:25:50 AM »
Not sure where you intend to put the solar panels.

If they are intended to go near the base of the tower I suggest you fit the turbine rectifier there in some sort of box and run the dc to the battery for both turbine and panels via the cable connected as a pair with 3 cores on one side and 2 on the other.

Flux

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 11:37:41 AM »
Welcome to the board, John.

As Flux says you can share the DC line with the turbines if they are located near each other.

I am interested in woodgas but your websight is not being very friendly with popups and slow loading.

Once it gets here it is just ads for greencards.

Unacceptable.

Tom

Dutch John

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 02:40:11 PM »
Flux, thanks, that clears the fog.

Group, I apologize for messing up in my very first post. Sorry.

Regards,
DJ

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 12:17:28 PM »
DJ;
 I am always interested in reading more about woodgas.
Not to worry about the post. Link was removed because of the ad-stuff.
DO come back is the "other" area and post more info there for the woodgas information.

AND WELCOME aboard.

Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Dutch John

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 01:00:07 AM »
Hello Bruce,

Thanks for the encouragement. There are a lot of websites on behalf of woodgas. Mine is the most wide about DIY. I ordered my webdesigner to remove the webstats counter. Probably that causes the addons. I don't make money with my site, nor with woodgasification in general. Just want to share my experience. Some blame me for giving that away for free, but I don't mind.

Another question. The yaw bearing of a 3 m Hugh Piggott style turbine is a 1 1/2" pipe in a 2" pipe. Lot of slack. I suppose a bearing made of 1.5 mm sheet wrapped and fixed on top and the downpart of the 1 1/2" pipe would lessen the slack and keep the grease in much better. And on top of course a teflon or nylon bearing that takes the weight. On the other side: we need some damping to reduce gyroscopic forces?

Regards,
DJ

Rover

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 06:36:44 AM »

Another question. The yaw bearing of a 3 m Hugh Piggott style turbine is a 1 1/2" pipe in a 2" pipe. Lot of slack

On my last pipe over pipe yaw of the same dimesions I used a thrust bearing on the top of the 1 1/2 , and also contact cemented a piece of Delrin around the 1 1/12 pipe to take up the slack.
(cut out sides of a bleach bottle) and grease. I think I increased the friction with the delrin, but it still yaws as needed.

Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>