Homebrewed Electricity > Solar

Panel ventilation

(1/5) > >>

guruji:
In a solar panel is it good to do ventilation to lower temperature a bit?
Thanks

Ungrounded Lightning Rod:

--- Quote from: guruji on August 18, 2010, 08:39:56 AM ---In a solar panel is it good to do ventilation to lower temperature a bit?
Thanks

--- End quote ---

Yes.  If practical (i.e. not a floppy panel and you can build a support structure), mount it so air can circulate behind it, not just in front of it.  That lets it lose heat from both sides.

If it's not mounted facing straight up you'll get convection helping the circulation.  (Even if it's flat to a horizontal roof, a little space lets wind blow heat out from behind it.)  If you're mounting it over a roof you just need a couple inches clearance and the passage will act as a chimney.  If you're mounting it near a roof but hinged for optimum angle, mount the hinge a bit over the roof rather than right against it so air can come in under the hinge.

Most of the light the panel absorbs turns to heat in the panel so you have plenty of heat to drive convection.  When the panel gets hot its voltage drops and the resistance of its internal conductors rises, so keeping it cool is good for power generation as well as reducing deterioration.

DanG:
But ventilation of the PV wafer section themselves is an absolute no - when doing homebuilt some have done pinhole vents to try to minimize or eliminate condensation forming behind glass  panels they built with an airspace but that is seen as the lessor of two evils - liquid water in the panel vs. air, fresh moisture from humidity and dirt damage over time...

guruji:
DanG so in my panel you're saying no?! cause mine is built with solarcells and I did not do any holes in it but the stun connections are melting everytime with this hot summer.
Any help please?

Ungrounded Lightning Rod:

--- Quote from: DanG on August 18, 2010, 01:08:53 PM ---But ventilation of the PV wafer section themselves is an absolute no

--- End quote ---

Yikes!  Thanks, Dan.  I didn't realize he might be talking about venting the cells themselves.  B-b

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version