Homebrewed Electricity > Solar

Panel ventilation

<< < (4/5) > >>

Mary B:
You want silver solder for higher temps.

Bruce S:

--- Quote from: rain1224 on March 28, 2012, 09:16:12 PM ---To lower temperature? I always think that it will increase the temperature.

--- End quote ---
Please explain your statement a little deeper. Not following what you're trying to say.

richhagen:
Wow, melting the solder, I've not had that problem on the two panels I have soldered.  I would worry about the EVA scorching at temperatures hot enough to melt the solder.  The first panel I built was an attempt at a sealed air space, which did not work satisfactorily.  I took that one down after water built up inside.  The solder junctions were still in tact though.  The second was laminated in a small laboratory vacuum oven.  I heated it a little too warm and gas bubbles formed in the laminate on that one though.  I have used it for various temp stuff but generally for no more than a week at a time, but again, the solder connections have not melted or failed.  I used common 60/40 solder on both panels.

synovialbasher:
I think it mostly depends on what area you're in. If you live in a humid climate with frequent rainfall, then I wouldn't try to ventilate it. Instead, if you can, use z-brackets that keep the panel slightly off the surface in which it's mounted. That will increase air circulation under the panel. If it's a significantly dryer climate, then it probably wouldn't hurt to ventilate the panel. Moisture and bugs could easily be an issue, but it all depends where you are.

eco007:
In the New Jersey we use a solar chimney as a passive solar ventilation system composed of a vertical shaft connecting the interior and exterior of a building. As the chimney warms, the air inside is heated causing an updraft that pulls air through the building. To increase the performance we use glazing and thermal mass materials.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version