Author Topic: Speed of Banki Turbine  (Read 26098 times)

hydrosun

Re: Speed of Banki Turbine
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2010, 01:10:20 PM »
Again I ask why a kaplan instead of turgo or pelton. A kaplan is great if you are using 100s of gallons of water. At this head and gpm you could use a turgo mounted directly to the alternator. The pelton or turgo cups in the size you need can  be purchased separately from h-hydro.com The pelton or turgo will work efficiently down to 10 feet head. At 30 feet head you can easily use 60 gpm with a 4 inch pelton and over 100 gpm with a turgo.
  I can  understand wanting to experiment and make your own turbine but for the highest efficiency out of the box it's hard to beat a manufactured wheel.
Chris

Harold in CR

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2011, 08:48:56 PM »

Thank You HV. This project fizzled  ::) ::)  These people just don't get it, that you CAN make usable electricity.

On another note, the 17 year old kid that helps me part time, does NOT know how to focus a magnifying glass on paper to start a fire, using the suns rays ???

Just HOW do these people get by ???  I thought ALL kids in the world knew this.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2011, 01:23:20 AM »
So many kids know how to play a game, but are idle most of the time and they have very little imagination used. If things are not handed to them they get lost. I like to take kids up to my cabin and they are lost for the first day and by three day you have to go find them.  I have no TV reception or cellphone reception, two radio stations you can get in the afternoon only. I get them splitting wood, fixing fence, and clearing brush. Painting and even learning to cook on a wood stove is a learning something. We play cards at night or board games and they are facinated with the simple games. One of mans cruses is that great missused thing called TV that is used to intertain kids.  Just my $.02.
MntMnROY 13

rossw

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2011, 02:05:50 AM »
On another note, the 17 year old kid that helps me part time, does NOT know how to focus a magnifying glass on paper to start a fire, using the suns rays ???

Just HOW do these people get by ???  I thought ALL kids in the world knew this.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Perhaps you asked the wrong question. Did you try him on "Here, go burn some ants!" ??

Harold in CR

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2011, 09:49:43 AM »

Actually, like most guys down here, he's into rooster fights. I'm trying to get him interested in electricity projects. These people are scared to death of electrikery.  ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

Had him watch a video of E-bicycle racing, yesterday. He saw them blasting past 2 stroke and 4 stroke "Stink Bikes'. I'm trying to get one finished up and put him on it. They all think I'm crazy down here.  ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

keithturtle

• Things that fly
    • aftertherapture
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2011, 01:27:23 AM »
It must be a cultural thing.   Do they all run outside and point to the sky when an airplane flies over?

If you can get into the head of that kid, you might be able to start a change for the better

Turtle
soli deo gloria

Harold in CR

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2011, 09:02:07 AM »
 Keith, that's exactly what I am trying to do.

I'm WAYYYY over due to start building my first Solar Panel.  ::) ::)  Oztules has probably given up on ever seeing my results.  ::) ;D

I have plans for him to HELP me build the oven and do the cells. He will be out of school real soon, so, maybe I can get him to come by more often. I don't pay him for this learning stuff, but, If-when he uses it, I emphasize that, "Now, you are gaining some skills, that make you more valuable". He thought he was doing great, when the other guy he works for, part-time, gave him 50 colonne raise. That's about .10 cents US. per hour  ::) ::)  I tell him what I used to make, and, I don't think he believes me  ::) ::)

This kid works for 800 colonnes or $1.60 per hour. I keep trying to tell him that is NOT good wages. Might be cutting my own throat, but, I really want to make SOME progress with one of these kids. They school, mostly 1-2 class rooms and 1-2 teachers, for 10 years. A LOT of them quit school in year 7-8 and work on the farms. Imagine cutting high pasture grass-weeds with a stinky Weed Whacker, for the rest of your life. Milking cows in still done BY HAND in a lot of farms. I'm talking ACRES of grass-weeds, not house lots.

Most people in the country, either work FOR a farmer (Dairy), or some other meaningless task. These kids are not stupid or dumb, they are just turned off to learning by the boring teachers.

When this kid comes over, I try to schedule a few minutes to show him a good video on the Internet, so he can SEE what's going on. Talking just doesn't get their attention. There mind wanders from the boredom factor.

EVERY time he comes over, I get "do anything new on the Bike" ???   ;D ;D ;D  I think I see a light starting to come on.  8) 8) ;D

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 09:08:18 AM by Harold in CR »