Author Topic: Used solar hot water panels ,  (Read 18493 times)

jarrod9155

Re: Used solar hot water panels ,
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 10:45:03 AM »
Actually talked with him last fall and shared info in the end he didn't believe the efficiency of my panels heating 370 gallons to 150 deg in the fall he said no way with the basis of for every square foot can only heat so many gallons and so on  ,point blank he said I was some how fudging my results or my temp gauge was wrong and he stated the system would freeze first winter . Just yesterday the high was only 40 deg outside sunny and my tank raised from 100 deg to 144 deg in 7 hours so not sure if me him are seeing eye to eye .
    I have found my problem to be steam , my flow rate is on the low side and the head pressure is 28 feet so a bigger pump is in my future for now I turned my max temp down to 150 deg it starts flashing over when the tank gets over 145 in the middle of a sunny day and the panels start running at 190 deg to hot . As for glcol I like the idea of just water and it seams to be more efficient than glcol.

Thanks for the link anyways

Jarrod
 Maine

watermanhfl

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2011, 12:42:43 PM »
Jarrod,
I have run a plain water drainback in cold upstate NY for over 2 years without problems.  Yes, water is more efficient and less hassle vs glycol.  For peace of mind I have 2 DeltaT controllers in series.  Better one with display upstairs is on all the time, powering cheaper one when conditions are right.  Both have independent thermocouples.  My system is balanced so that when pump is on the water temperature difference is only about 15/20 degrees so never see high temp or steam in panels.
On a one story roof with Taco 009 in basement and with outlet of pump restricted with a 1/2 closed ball valve.  Qty 2 4x8 panels and water flow low to keep from eroding the copper in elbows.  Cutting back flow also lowers pump amps.   Tank is 120 gallons.  Works great for family of 3, 9 months of year.  Back-up on a lot during Dec-Feb.
Anthony
10' axial on 50' tilt-up.  3.4k solar grid tied. Upstate NY

jarrod9155

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2011, 01:19:46 PM »
On my system the last two panels make the water namer noise or steam sound only so far when the sun is at it's hottest and the tank is above 140 deg . My pump can't feed 6 panels enough to keep them cool is my thoughts I would like to have the shut off at 160 deg but that will have to wait on a bigger pump .