Author Topic: Solar powered washing machine  (Read 11868 times)

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Solar powered washing machine
« on: June 25, 2010, 05:10:03 PM »
I did two loads off grid today, since it was sunny. The video here has been edited to just under 10 minutes because that's the max length Youtube allows.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uKYrp4VLyQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uKYrp4VLyQ</a>

The real time for a "normal" load is about 1 hour because of fill and drain times.

I paid $265 at Home Depot for the 12v Sunforce Pro Sine 1000 watt inverter. It barely gets warm running the Avanti washer. The washer really is almost that loud.

It does almost as much as a regular full size washer, for 1/2 the electric.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 05:11:54 PM by dnix71 »

Basil

• 3 rd shift made me this way.
Re: Solar powered washing machine
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 10:11:23 PM »
May need to check the wash machine motor temp.
Some motors don't like inverters.
Sunforce Pro Sine 1000 watt inverter is a pure sine wave inverter right?

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
It a sine wave inverter. I wouldn't even attempt that with a square wave inverter. The washing machine was $450 and it has a microprocessor controlled stepping motor.

I tried to find something simpler, but you can see how tight the fit is. There are very few machines that size and none for sale locally. I had to order the Avanti from Wally World and have them ship it to a store for me to pick up.

The Roper that's in the 2nd apt utility room is mechanical timer and plain jane motor, but it pulls 1200 watts continuous on some cycles. I can't even run that from a small generator I have, so the last hurricane, me and the neighbor in #2 had to borrow a generator to do clothes.

Basil

• 3 rd shift made me this way.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 11:41:21 AM »
That is a nice set up.  8)
You also can have lights, fans and so on when needed.
Bet you have plans to go bigger. Hard not to.

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 12:07:22 PM »
dnix71 - did you get to look at the Danby DTT-420?  I've almost leapt at one when I've spotted them discounted & no/low shipping...

I have been watching the prices on the DTT-420 for a while.. Full manual controls with a twist, it has a second drum with a 1600 RPM spin dry cycle that gets so much water extracted drying is much easier. The max power requirement is stated as 480 watts.

The online reviews run hot & cold as could be expected - 50°C maximum water temperature could be a hitch depending as well as having to hover over controls to complete every cycle, and the ten pound capacity isn't foreveryone. But being able to use rinse water as next loads' wash water, the high speed spin dry and the low power consumption put it in a category all its own - as well as a very good candidate for solar laundry washer..

http://www.danby.com/product/DTT420W/5

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
The Danby looked nice but it's too wide with twin drums. The Avanti was actually too wide, too. They put the drain hose on the left. The pictures show it on the right on the same side as the front foot leveling knob. That's where it should be, but the pump was changed and the pump outlet faces the wrong way. I almost chopped off the drain hose the first time I tried to push it into place. There is a thin metal access plate on the back of the washer held by six screws. I rerouted the drain hose out the back and put the panel back on. There is 1/2" to spare between the sink and wall now.

wdyasq

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 10:05:56 PM »
A few years ago I purchased an Equator Washer/dryer and have been very happy with it. Although it does not have a large capacity, It does what I need done well, does not use a lot of water, uses 1/2 ounce of detergent a load,  and does not need venting.  I do not use the drying cycle as it is just too simple (and inexpensive) to take the well spun clothes out and hang them on plastic hangers and let nature finish the job.

Ron

"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"