Author Topic: just noticed something worrying  (Read 7081 times)

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
Re: just noticed something worrying
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 06:22:34 PM »
hichris,
 just found a UK supplier of por-15 so i will give it a go. the top of the tower definitely needs doing so will do that first. i have used moisture  curing sealants before now. if you dont use all of the tin straight away the contents go hard and useless in a couple of months. does POR-15 do that? this will determine what size tin to buy. most of the tower is stainless except the top 10 foot or so. sounds like good stuff.

Yes, if it's humid out when you open the can, use it all or the moisture that's in the air is trapped in the can when you put the lid back on and it thickens it to the point where it won't pour.  One drop of sweat in the can when you're handling it and the stuff is no good.

For big jobs like semi trailers I get two gallons and spray it all on until it's gone.  For small jobs like a wind turbine I get it in pint cans from a local auto restoration shop.  I have all the parts ready and spray everything - gen rotors, turbine head, tail boom - and use the whole can, putting it on in two coats about 15 minutes apart.  I get the black stuff but they got other colors too - I think white and maybe silver or something.

You can brush it on but it doesn't apply exceedingly smooth with a brush.  Spraying it is the best.  There is a solvent, PPG code DX-696, that will keep the stuff from setting up and clean your gun.  I run a quarter pint of DX-696 thru the gun after spraying POR-15, then immediately completely disassemble the gun and throw all the parts into an old ice cream bucket with a couple quarts of DX-696 in it.  After a day or so you can pull the parts out of there, spray them clean with carb cleaner and wipe them with a shop rag, put the gun back together and it will still work for the next time.  If you don't take your gun apart the air regulator, needle and metering passages will be welded solid and/or plugged and the gun will be junk.
--
Chris

bob golding

Re: just noticed something worrying
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2010, 07:30:28 AM »
dont have a spraygun or compressor so will be painting it. i will get the smallest size tin i can find then. says it is not uv proof so will need to overpaint it. they are painting the forth bridge in scotland with something that is supposed to last 25 years. for those who don't know the story this bridge is famous for never being finished. by the time the painters have  got to the end the first bit need doing again. it takes 7 years to paint it all apparently.think it is some sort of epoxy they are using.
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.