Author Topic: The gloves are off  (Read 21661 times)

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
The gloves are off
« on: August 24, 2010, 09:14:07 PM »
I just found out the moronic, incompetent, clueless, imbeciles, explicative, explicative, explicative, jackwagons who wrote our township wind ordinance made stand alone monopoles the ONLY allowable tower type for wind turbines, I've absolutely had it with these aholes, I'm gonna find a hungry ambulance chasing lawyer and sue the township and each member of the board individually for blatant wealth discrimination, if you are wealthy enough to afford an eighty foot monopole, a twenty ton concrete foundation, crane service for erection and installation of the turbine, then on going crane service for maintenance you can harvest wind power on your own land, if you can't afford any of that you are out of luck, if that is not defacto wealth discrimination I don't know what is, the gloves are off, I'm going to war over this, I'm thinking of suing the county which drew up the model and the township which adopted it for five million each, and each member of the township and county planning commissions for two million dollars each.
I'll find a lawyer that will work on contingency and tell him I'll take ten percent of whatever he can get.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

FishbonzWV

Re: The gloves are off
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
Daggone Fab,
Hate to hear this bad news, but go for it! Sue the boogers.
Teach them a lesson or three.
I guess the fellow that stopped by didn't get anywhere with the council.
In the mean time, put some larger outriggers on that hay wagon and keep spinning.
Side note: I couldn't help chuckling at your avatar! It seems pretty appropriate now.
The smoke is rolling.
Bonz
"Put your brain in gear before you put your mouth in motion"
H.F.Fisher 1925-2007

John68b

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 10:55:20 PM »
I think they just made you a debtor against your will.

Pilot

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 05:39:31 AM »
They hear the click far too late!

So sad the way money has replaced freedom as the bottom line in "our" government.

Not much here for "rules" and if there were I have a "right to farm" that would trump them when the structure is involved in livestock raising or other farming.

Best of luck

Tom

defed

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 05:49:51 AM »
did you actually take the case to the board for a variance and were denied due to this monopole rule?  or did you just find out that that is the rule w/o going to a hearing and presume that you will be denied?

if you haven't gone to a hearing for a variance, just because that IS the rule, doesn't mean that the zoning board won't grant a variance based on your circumstances.  if you have gone to the board and they denied you based on that rule, then that is a different matter.

Volvo farmer

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 07:29:15 AM »
If you are going to play with the court system anyway , wouldn't it be easier to just erect the turbine and wait for them to come after you? At least you are making power while the thing is in litigation... and there's always the possibility that they wouldn't come after you.
Less bark, more wag.

dlenox

• PowerDashboard monitoring/logging software for RE systems
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 08:58:41 AM »
Dale,

I have to agree with VF, a well known quote comes to mind "sometimes it's best to ask for forgiveness than permission".

But first I would find a person within the largest newspaper in your area, get them to come out and make it a local issue.  With the story you can bring out the differences between small wind and commercial wind as well as the current legislation.  Getting a good paper behind you as well as educating the general public would be your best offense.

I think that educating the general population and getting them to *potentially want* to install a residential wind turbine on their property, and letting them know how limited their options are.

Once established then if you still feel the need then go ahead with the lawsuit.

Perhaps if the Dan's here are planning on having a seminar some where near your area, you can integrate this with your offensive plan and perform some additional coordination to get the public involved would also help.

One last question: do these restrictions also apply to a coop?  If not then form a single member coop which is nothing more than forming an LLC.

Dan Lenox
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 09:05:35 AM by dlenox »

jarrod9155

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 10:20:10 AM »
I put mine up and said  ,ow I need a permit  :D   Cost me 70 buck for a permit and a slap on the rist .

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 11:28:37 AM »
I served for several years on our local ZBA (Zoning Board of Appeals) for the express purpose of helping land owners get approval of land use prohibited by ridiculous zoning laws.  I don't know your situation with respect to your ZBA (what the general board attitude is about land owner rights), but this would normally be your first course of action.  As a ZBA board member, we also received regular updates of cases that went beyond the local ZBA, in a state wide publication documenting how the cases went in court.  It was surprising how many times the land owner won in these trials.  I suggest you use a lot of the ideas above (contacting press, rallying more support, etc), but also start the process with the ZBA as well.

Tom Sullivan

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 11:41:09 AM »
Fabricator,

I just looked up your information and discovered you are in Michigan.  I'm in Michigan as well.  Let me know if you want me to get copies of the trial case outcome reports they publish quarterly.  When you are empowered with knowledge on how the system works, it changes the attitude of the Planning Commission and ZBA. 

On a brighter note, we found fairly often (the ZBA) the writers of zoning laws were not as informed as they thought they were.  Often someone would present a case where you had to wonder where the Planning Commission had therir heads when they wrote the ordinance.  That's the beauty of the ZBA.  They have the opportunity to correct a wrong (or get their decision reversed in court, with clearly some embarassment).

Keep us posted.

Tom

U.P of Michigan

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 11:54:19 AM »
the writers of zoning laws were not as informed as they thought they were

Some kids never grow up: only the shiniest & most expensive items from the toy catalog are remembered thus those are the only ones that 'should' be allowed!

Tritium

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 02:26:14 PM »
This reinforces strongly the reason I live in the middle of "nowhere".  My county has no zoning ordinances or building permits, boards of idiots (wait there is the school system) or any thing like them.

Thurmond

freejuice

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 03:12:46 PM »
If you are going to play with the court system anyway , wouldn't it be easier to just erect the turbine and wait for them to come after you? At least you are making power while the thing is in litigation... and there's always the possibility that they wouldn't come after you.

Yep,
" You mean I need to have it approved by the  zoning board...when its well inside these several acres I own and there is not a neighborhood restriction?"

A low profile about this might do the trick. It might be flying for years before they even saw/said anything. Then the person who was in charge of ram-rodding the ordinance might just say to themselves "What the heck, its not an eyesore and I'm not going to stir the pot about nuking someone's green energy plan....the fallout from a potential media circus...groan...I'll just let it be"

defed

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 03:33:07 PM »
i'm on the my town's ZBA now, that's why i was wondering if he was rejected by them, or if he just read the law and thought it was hopeless.  the ZBA has the right to override the law and grant a variance.  heck, i need one for my tower...i already discussed it w/ my fellow board members and they said it would be fine.  but then again, the votes aren't in YET!

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 05:07:18 PM »
They want me to go to the ZBA, the process here is a ZBA application costs 250 bux, then you have to deposit 500 bux in an escrow account for the ZBA to use in investigating your appeal, so that is 750 non refundable bux on a gamble.
The other thing that enters into this is every person who wants to put up a small wind system will have to go this route if they cant afford a monopole tower, this thing is WRONG and needs to change, I'm not in it just to get my tower up, I want to see lots of other wind towers out there, with this ordinance that wont happen, right now
I'm looking for hungry ambulance chasers that will work on contingency, if I sue each member of the county and township boards individually they cannot use public funds to defend themselves, these morons need to be taught a lesson and made and example of, I would love to financially destroy each one of them along with the county and the township.
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

David HK

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 05:18:55 PM »
Surely you need to look at the written words very carefully.

What is a mono pole mast? 

Whats wrong with a guyed mast of any form or construction and any height providing that last six to ten feet at the top of the mast is a single pole (monopole) ?

All the mast below the pole could be part of the foundation?

David in HK

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 05:30:34 PM »
The ordnance expressly forbids guy wires,

David HK

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 05:36:30 PM »
Is wire defined?

Go back to my comment suggesting everything below the monopole at the top is part of the foundation.

Foundations often protrude out of the earth.

Keep looking for alternative meanings and arguments. That's what lawyers do.

David in HK

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 05:48:12 PM »
Here is the actual ordinance.

defed

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 06:29:49 PM »
They want me to go to the ZBA, the process here is a ZBA application costs 250 bux, then you have to deposit 500 bux in an escrow account for the ZBA to use in investigating your appeal, so that is 750 non refundable bux on a gamble.

$750!?!?!  that's insane!  no fee here, unless it has to go to county planning 1st, in which case they charge (2) $30 fees for putting an ad in the local paper and something else i forget.

there is an ad in the classifieds selling a rohn freestanding tower, except he's in colorado.  or, you can let me borrow your 10' to use on my freestanding tower!  altho, mine hasn't actually been approved either! 

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 07:03:40 PM »
The rohn wouldn't fly, it the only tower allowed is a free standing monopole.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 07:04:49 PM »
How can I link a damn word document to here?

David HK

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 07:14:42 PM »

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
No, I'm in ottawa county, robinson township, I copied and pasted it here, but now it's gone.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 07:34:03 PM »
Draft Date
07/29/09
ORDINANCE NO. 2009-09-05

ZONING TEXT AMENDMENT ORDINANCE

AN ORDINANCE TO AMEND CERTAIN PORTIONS OF THE ZONING ORDINANCE OF ROBINSON TOWNSHIP, OTTAWA COUNTY, MICHIGAN, BY STATING THE REQUIREMENTS FOR WIND ENERGY TURBINES AND BY PROVIDING FOR AN EFFECTIVE DATE.

ROBINSON TOWNSHIP, COUNTY OF OTTAWA, AND STATE OF MICHIGAN, ORDAINS:

Section 1. Anemometer: The definition of anemometer shall be inserted as Section 3.9A (the existing Section 3.9A shall be renumbered as Section 3.9B) of the Robinson Township Zoning Ordinance.

Section 3.9A      ANEMOMETER.

A temporary wind speed indicator constructed for the purpose of analyzing the potential for utilizing a wind energy turbine at a given site. This includes the tower, base plate, anchors, cables and hardware, wind direction vanes, booms to hold equipment, data logger, instrument wiring, and any telemetry devices that are used to monitor or transmit wind speed and wind flow characteristics over a period of time for either instantaneous wind information or to characterize the wind resource at a given location.

Section 2. Anti-Climbing Device:  The definition of anti-climbing device shall be inserted as Section 3.9C of the Robinson Township Zoning Ordinance.

Section 3.9C      ANTI-CLIMBING DEVICE.

A piece or pieces of equipment which are either attached to the supporting structure of a wind energy turbine, or which are free-standing and are designed to prevent people from climbing the structure. These devices may include but are not limited to squirrel-cones (i.e., a plastic or metal disc cone around a pole which impedes climbing), the removal of climbing pegs on the pole, or other approved devices, but excluding the use of barbed or razor wire.

Section 3. Condominium Development:  The definition of condominium development shall be inserted as Section 3.23A of the Robinson Township Zoning Ordinance.

Section 3.23A      CONDOMINIUM DEVELOPMENT.

A development that is created under the Condominium Act, being Act 359 of Michigan Public Acts of 1978, as amended.
Section 4. Decibel:  The definition of decibel shall be inserted as Section 3.25B of the Robinson Township Zoning Ordinance.

Section 3.25B      DECIBEL.

A unit of measure used to express the magnitude of sound pressure and sound intensity. Decibels shall be measured on the dB(A) weighted scale as defined by the American National Standards Institute.

Section 5. Decommissioning:  The definition of decommissioning shall be inserted as Section 3.25C of the Robinson Township Zoning Ordinance.

Section 3.25C      DECOMMISSIONING.

The process of terminating operation and completely removing a wind energy turbine and all related buildings, structures, foundations, access roads, and equipment.

Section 6. General Common Element:  The definition of general common element shall be inserted as Section 3.47A of the Robinson Township Zoning Ordinance.

Section 3.47A      GENERAL COMMON ELEMENT.

An area designated for use by all owners within the condominium development.

Section 7. Medium Wind Energy Turbine:  The definition of medium wind energy turbine shall be inserted as Section 3.77A of the Robinson Township Zoning Ordinance.

Section 3.77A      MEDIUM WIND ENERGY TURBINE (MWET).

A tower-mounted wind energy system that converts wind energy into electricity through the use of equipment which includes any base, blade, foundation, generator, nacelle, rotor, tower, transformer, vane, wire, inverter, batteries, or other components used in the system. The MWET has a nameplate capacity that does not exceed two hundred fifty (250) kilowatts. The total height does not exceed one hundred fifty (150) feet.

Section 8. Nacelle:  The definition of nacelle shall be inserted as Section 3.81A of the Robinson Township Zoning Ordinance.

Section 3.81A      NACELLE.

The encasement which houses all of the generating components, gear box, drive tram, and other equipment in a wind energy turbine.

Section 9. Net-Metering:  The definition of net-metering shall be inserted as Section 3.81B of the Robinson Township Zoning Ordinance.

Section 3.81B      NET-METERING.

A special metering and billing agreement between utility companies and their customers, which facilitates the connection of renewable energy generating systems to the power grid.

Section 10. Occupied Building:  The definition of occupied building shall be inserted as Section 3.84A of the Robinson Township Zoning Ordinance.

Section 3.84A      OCCUPIED BUILDING.

A residence, school, hospital, church, public library, business, or any other building used for public gatherings.

Section 11. Operator, WET:  The definition of operator, wind energy turbine, shall be inserted as Section 3.86A of the Robinson Township Zoning Ordinance.

Section 3.86A      OPERATOR, WET.

The entity responsible for the day-to-day operation and maintenance of a wind energy turbine.

Section 12. Owner, WET:  The definition of owner, wind energy turbine, shall be inserted as Section 3.86B of the Robinson Township Zoning Ordinance.

Section 3.86B      OWNER, WET.

The individual or entity, including any respective successors and assigns, with equity interest in or ownership of a wind energy turbine.

Section 13. Rotor Diameter:  The definition of rotor diameter shall be inserted as Section 3.97A of the Robinson Township Zoning Ordinance.

Section 3.97A      ROTOR DIAMETER.

The cross-sectional dimension of the circle swept by the rotating blades of a wind energy turbine.

Section 14. Shadow Flicker:  The definition of shadow flicker shall be inserted as Section 3.97B of the Robinson Township Zoning Ordinance.

Section 3.97B      SHADOW FLICKER.

The moving shadow, created by the sun shining through the rotating blades of a wind energy turbine. The amount of shadow flicker created by a wind energy turbine is calculated by a computer model that takes into consideration turbine location, elevation, tree cover, location of all structures, wind activity, and sunlight.

Section 15. Small Structure-Mounted Wind Energy Turbine:  The definition of small structure-mounted wind energy turbine shall be inserted as Section 3.99A of the Robinson Township Zoning Ordinance.

Section 3.99A      SMALL STRUCTURE-MOUNTED WIND ENERGY TURBINE (SSMWET).

Converts wind energy into electricity through the use of equipment which includes any base, blade, foundation, generator, nacelle, rotor, tower, transformer, vane, wire, inverter, batteries, or other components used in the system. A SSMWET is attached to a structure's roof, walls, or other elevated surface. The SSMWET has a nameplate capacity that does not exceed ten (10) kilowatts. The total height does not exceed fifteen (15) feet as measured from the highest point of the roof, excluding chimneys, antennae, and other similar protuberances.

Section 16. Small Tower-Mounted Wind Energy Turbine:  The definition of small tower-mounted wind energy turbine shall be inserted as Section 3.99B of the Robinson Township Zoning Ordinance.

Section 3.99B      SMALL TOWER-MOUNTED WIND ENERGY TURBINE (STMWET).

A tower-mounted wind energy system that converts wind energy into electricity through the use of equipment which includes any base, blade, foundation, generator, nacelle, rotor, tower, transformer, vane, wire, inverter, batteries, or other components used in the system.   The STMWET has a nameplate capacity that does not exceed thirty (30) kilowatts. The total height does not exceed one hundred twenty (120) feet.

Section 17. Structure:  The definition of structure in Section 3.103 of the Robinson Township Zoning Ordinance is restated as follows.

Section 3.103      STRUCTURE.

As used with wind energy turbines, structure means any building or other fixture, such as a municipal watertower, that is a minimum of twelve (12) feet high at the highest point and is secured to frost-footings or a concrete slab. As used in this Ordinance other than with wind energy turbines, structure means any constructed, erected or placed material or combination of materials in or upon the ground, including by way of example but not limitation buildings, mobile homes, modular homes, pre-manufactured homes, towers, sheds, signs and storage bins, but excluding sidewalks and paving on streets, driveways, parking areas and patios.

Section 18. Total Height:  The definition of total height shall be inserted as Section 3.105A of the Robinson Township Zoning Ordinance.

Section 3.105A    TOTAL HEIGHT.

The vertical distance measured from the ground level at the base of the tower to the uppermost vertical extension of any blade, or the maximum height reached by any part of a wind energy turbine.

Section 19. Tower:  The definition of tower shall be inserted as Section 3.105B of the Robinson Township Zoning Ordinance.

Section 3.105B   TOWER.

A freestanding monopole that supports a wind energy turbine.

Section 20. Wind Energy Turbine:  The definition of wind energy turbine shall be inserted as Section 3.109A of the Robinson Township Zoning Ordinance.

Section 3.109A   WIND ENERGY TURBINE (WET).

Any wind energy conversion system that converts wind energy into electricity through the use of a wind generator and includes the nacelle, rotor, tower, and pad transformer, if any.

Section 21. Districts Where Small Tower-Mounted Wind Energy Turbines (STMWETs) and Small Structure-Mounted Wind Energy Turbines (SSMWETs) Are Allowed. Section 6.2(O) for the A-1 Agricultural Zoning District; Section 7.3(I) for the A-2 Agricultural Service Zoning District; Section 8.2(M) for the RR Rural Residential Zoning District; Section 9.2(E) for the E-1 Lowland Resource Conservation Zoning District; Section 10.2(F) for the R-1 Residential, One-Family Zoning District; Section 11A.2(E) for the R-3 Mobile Home Park Zoning District; Section 12.2(H) for the B-1 Neighborhood Commercial Zoning District; Section 13.2(Z) for the B-2 General Business Zoning District; and Section 14.2(L) for the I-1 Industrial Zoning District concerning allowing STMWETs and SSMWETs as permitted uses in those respective zoning districts, shall be added to state in their entirety as follows.

Small tower-mounted wind energy turbines and small structure-mounted wind energy turbines.

Section 22. Districts Where Medium Wind Energy Turbines (MWETs) Are Allowed. Section 6.3(E) for the A-1 Agricultural Zoning District; Section 7.3(I) for the A-2 Agricultural Service Zoning District; and Section 15.3(F) for the I-2 Industrial Zoning District, concerning allowing MWETs as Special Land Uses in those respective zoning districts, shall be added to state in their entirety as follows.

Medium wind energy turbines.

Section 23. I-1 Zoning District Where Medium Wind Energy Turbines (MWETs) Are Allowed.  Section 14.3 for the I-1 Industrial Zoning District shall be expanded by the addition of the following language to allow MWETs as a Special Land Use.

. . . and medium wind energy turbines.

Section 24. Uses in Planned Unit Developments. Sections 20.2(A)(8), 20.2(C)(3), and 20.2(D)(3) for uses permitted in planned unit developments, concerning allowing STMWETs and SSMWETs, shall be added to state in their entirety as follows.

Small tower-mounted wind energy turbines and small structure-mounted wind energy turbines.

Section 25. Wind Energy Turbines (WETs) - General Provisions. Section 4.51 of the Zoning Ordinance, concerning the general provisions related to WETs, shall be added in its entirety as follows.

Section 4.51   WIND ENERGY TURBINES (WETs).

(A)   Purpose: The purpose of this Section is to establish guidelines for siting wind energy turbines (WETs). The goals are as follows:

(1)   To promote the safe, effective, and efficient use of a WET in order to reduce the consumption of fossil fuels in producing electricity;

(2)   To preserve and protect public health, safety, welfare, and quality of life by minimizing the potential adverse impacts of a WET; and

(3)   To establish standards and procedures by which the siting, design, engineering, installation, operation, and maintenance of a WET shall be governed.

(B)   Applicability: This Section shall apply to the following:

(1)   This Section applies to all WETs proposed to be constructed after the    effective date of this Section.

(2)   A small structure-mounted wind energy turbine (SSMWET) and a small tower-mounted wind energy turbine (STMWET) shall be considered a permitted use in all zoning districts and shall not be erected, constructed, installed, or modified as provided in this Ordinance unless appropriate Township permits have been issued to the WET owner(s) or operator(s).

(3)   All WETs constructed prior to the effective date of this Section shall not be required to meet the requirements of this Section; however, any physical modification to an existing WET that materially alters the size, type, equipment or location shall require a permit under this Ordinance, in compliance with the standards of this Section.

(C)   Siting and Design: All SSMWETs and STMWETs must be sited and designed in accordance with the following:

(1)   Visual Appearance:

(a)   A SSMWET or STMWET, including accessory buildings and related structures shall be a solid, non-reflective, non-obtrusive color (e.g. white, gray, black).  The appearance of the turbine, tower, and any ancillary facility shall be maintained throughout the life of the SSMWET or STMWET.

(b)   A SSMWET or STMWET shall not be artificially lighted, except to the extent required by the FAA or other applicable authority, or otherwise necessary for reasonable safety and security.

(c)   A SSMWET or STMWET shall not be used for displaying any advertising (including flags, streamers, or decorative items), except for identification of the turbine manufacturer.

(2)   Ground Clearance: The lowest extension of any blade or other exposed moving component of a SSMWET or STMWET shall be at least fifteen (15) feet above the ground (at the highest point of the natural grade within thirty [30] feet of the base of the tower) and, in addition, at least fifteen (15) feet above any outdoor surfaces intended for human use, such as decks, balconies or roof gardens, that are located directly below the SSMWET or STMWET.

(3)   Noise: Noise emanating from the operation of a SSMWET or STMWET shall not exceed, at any time, the maximum permissible sound levels outlined in Section 4.30 of this Ordinance.

(4)   Vibration: Vibrations shall not be produced which are humanly perceptible beyond the property on which a SSMWET or STMWET is located.

(5)   Guy Wires: Guy wires shall not be permitted as part of the SSMWET or STMWET.

(6)   Height: The total height of a SSMWET shall not exceed fifteen (15) feet as measured from the highest point of the roof, excluding chimneys, antennae, and other similar protuberances. The total height of a STMWET shall not exceed one hundred twenty (120) feet.

(7)   Setback: The setback for a SSMWET shall be the minimum required by the applicable zoning district, but not less than fifteen (15) feet from the lot line, street or private road, or overhead utility lines. The setback shall be measured from the furthest outward extension of all moving parts.

The setback for a STMWET shall be at least one hundred fifty (150) feet from any front lot line, and shall be setback a distance equal to or greater than the total height of the STMWET, as measured from the base of the tower, from all other lot lines, streets or private roads, public casements, or overhead public utility lines

(8)   Separation: If more than one (1) SSMWET is installed on a lot, a distance equal to the total height of the highest SSMWET must be maintained between the base of each SSMWET.

(9)   Location: The SSMWET shall not be affixed to the wall on the side of a structure facing a street or private road. A STMWET may only be located in a rear yard of a lot that has an occupied building. A STMWET may be located in a side yard or front yard of a lot has an occupied building, provided that it is set back at least one hundred fifty (150) feet from the front lot line, as measured from the base of the tower.

(10)   Quantity: No more than three (3) SSMWETs shall be installed on any lot of residentially zoned or used property. The Township Board may allow more SSMWETs on agriculturally, commercially or industrially zoned properties if appropriate. No more than one (1) STMWET shall be installed on any residentially zoned or used property. The Township Board may allow more STMWETs on agriculturally, commercially or industrially zoned or used properties if appropriate. The Township Board shall consider the size of the lot, the use of the lot, the location of the proposed WETS, the use of and impact upon adjoining lots, and other relevant factors in determining if additional WETs are appropriate. No more than three (3) SSMWETs, or one (1) STMWET shall be allowed on any single lot of residentially zoned or used property, unless specifically approved by the Township Board.

(11)   Electrical System: All electrical controls, control wiring, grounding wires, power lines, and system components shall be placed underground within the boundary of each lot at a depth designed to accommodate the existing land use to the maximum extent practicable. Wires necessary to connect the WET to the tower wiring are exempt from this requirement.

(12)   Anemometers: If an anemometer is to be installed prior to, or in conjunction with a SSMWET or STMWET, it must be done so in accordance with the following provisions:

(a)   The construction, installation, or modification of an anemometer tower shall require a zoning permit and applicable building, electrical or mechanical permits and shall conform to all applicable local, state, and federal applicable safety, construction, environmental, electrical, communications, and FAA requirements.

(b)   An anemometer shall be subject to the minimum requirements for height, setback, separation, location, safety, and decommissioning of this Ordinance that correspond to the size of the SSMWET or STMWET that is proposed to be constructed on the site.

(D)   Application requirements: In addition to the standard information required on a zoning permit application form, applications for SSMWETs and STMWETs shall also include the following information/ documentation:

(1)   A site plan (drawn to scale) showing the proposed location of all components and ancillary equipment of the SSMWET(s) or STMWET(s), lot lines, physical dimensions of the lot, existing building(s), setback lines, right-of-way lines, public easements, overhead utility lines, sidewalks, non-motorized pathways, streets and private roads, and contours. The site plan must also include adjoining lots as well as the location and use of all structures.

(2)   The proposed number, type, and total height of SSMWET(s) or STMWET(s) to be constructed; including the manufacturer and model, product specifications including maximum noise output (measured in decibels), total rated generating capacity, dimensions, rotor diameter, and a description of ancillary facilities.

(3)   Documented compliance with the noise requirements set forth in this Ordinance.

(4)   Documented compliance with applicable Township, county, state and federal regulations including, but not limited to, all applicable safety, construction, environmental, electrical, communications, and FAA requirements.

(5)   Evidence that the utility company has been informed of the customer's intent to install an interconnected, customer-owned generator and that such connection has been approved.  Off-grid systems shall be exempt from this requirement.

(6)   For STMWET applications, a description of the methods that will be used to perform maintenance on the STMWET and the procedures for lowering or removing the STMWET in order to conduct maintenance.

(7)   Verification that the SSMWET or STMWET shall not interfere with communication systems such as, but not limited to, radio, telephone, television, satellite, or emergency communication systems.

(8)    Other relevant information as may be reasonably requested by the Township.

(E)   Safety Requirements: All SSMWETs and STMWETs must be designed to meet the following safety requirements:

(1)   If the SSMWET or STMWET is connected to a public utility system for net-metering purposes, it shall meet the requirements for interconnection and operation as set forth in the public utility's then-current service regulations meeting federal, state, and industry standards applicable to wind power generation facilities, and the connection shall be inspected by the appropriate public utility.

(2)   The SSMWET or STMWET shall be equipped with an automatic braking, governing or feathering system to prevent uncontrolled rotation, over-speeding, and excessive pressure on the tower, rotor blades and other wind energy components unless the manufacturer certifies that a braking system is not necessary.

(3)   A clearly visible warning sign regarding voltage shall be placed at the base of the SSMWET or STMWET.

(4)   The structural integrity of the SSMWET or STMWET shall conform to the design standards of the International Electrical Commission, specifically IEC 61400-1, "Wind Turbine Safety and Design" or IEC 61400-2, "Small Wind Turbine Safety," IEC 61400-22, "Wind Turbine Certification," and IEC 61400-23, "Blade Structural Testing," or any similar successor standards.

(F)   Decommissioning: Any SSMWET or STMWET that is to be decommissioned shall be done so in accordance with the following requirements:

(1)   The WET owner(s) or operator(s) shall complete decommissioning within six (6) months after the end of the useful life. Upon request of the WET owner(s) or WET operator(s) of the SSMWET or STMWET, and for a good cause, the Township Supervisor, or the Township Supervisor's designee, may grant a reasonable extension of time. The SSMWET or STMWET will be presumed to be at the end of its useful life if no electricity is generated for a continuous period of six (6) months. All decommissioning expenses are the responsibility of the WET owner(s) or operator(s).

(2)   If the WET owner(s) or operator(s) fails to complete decommissioning within the period prescribed above, the Township Board may designate a contractor to complete decommissioning with the expense thereof to be charged to the violator and/or to become a lien against the lot.   If the SSMWET or STMWET is not owned by the lot owner(s), a bond, security deposit or bank letter of credit must be provided to the Township for the cost of decommissioning each SSMWET or STMWET.

(3)   In addition to the decommissioning requirements listed previously, the STMWET shall also be subject to the following:

(a)   Decommissioning shall include the removal of each STMWET, buildings, electrical components, and any other associated facilities. Any foundation shall be removed to a minimum depth of sixty (60) inches below grade, or to the level of the bedrock if less than sixty (60) inches below grade.

(b)   The site and any disturbed earth shall be stabilized, graded, and cleared of any debris by the WET owner(s) or its assigns. If the site is not to be used for agricultural practices following removal, the site shall be seeded to prevent soil erosion.

Section 26. Medium Wind Energy Turbines (MWETs) - Special Land Uses. Section 4.52 of the Zoning Ordinance, concerning Special Land Use standards for Medium Wind Energy Turbines, shall be added in its entirety as follows.

Section 4.52   MEDIUM WIND ENERGY TURBINEs (MWETS).

(A)   In addition to the materials required for all special use permits, applications for MWETs shall include the following information/documentation.

(1)   General Information: In addition to the detailed information required on the site plan, the following general information shall be included in the application materials:

(a)   The contact information for the WET owner(s) and WET operator(s) of the MWET as well as contact information for all lot owners on which the MWET is located.

(b)   A copy of the lease, or recorded document, with the landowner(s) if the applicant does not own the land for the proposed MWET.   A statement from the landowner(s) of the leased site that the landowner(s) will abide by all applicable terms and conditions of the use permit, if approved.

(c)   In the case of a condominium development, a copy of the condominium development's master deed and bylaws addressing the legal arrangement for the MWET.

(d)   The proposed number, representative types and height of each MWET to be constructed; including the manufacturer and model, product specifications including maximum noise output (measured in decibels), total rated capacity, rotor diameter, and a description of ancillary facilities.

(e)   Documents shall be submitted by the developer/manufacturer confirming specifications for MWET tower separation.

(f)   Engineering data concerning construction of the MWET and its base or foundation, which may include, but not be limited to, soil boring data.

(g)   Anticipated construction schedule.

(h)   A copy of the maintenance and operation plan, including anticipated regular and unscheduled maintenance. Additionally, a description of the procedures that will be used for lowering or removing the MWET to conduct maintenance, if applicable.

(i)   Documented compliance with applicable local, state and national regulations including, but not limited to, all applicable safety, construction, environmental, electrical, and communications. The MWET shall comply with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requirements, Michigan Airport Zoning Act, Michigan Tall Structures Act, and any applicable airport overlay zone regulations.

(j)   Evidence that the utility company has been informed of the customer's intent to install an interconnected, customer-owned generator and that such connection has been approved. Off-grid systems shall be exempt from this requirement.

(k)   Following the completion of construction, the applicant shall certify that all construction is completed pursuant to the special use permit.

(l)   A written description of the anticipated life of each MWET; the estimated cost of decommissioning; the method of ensuring that funds will be available for decommissioning and site restoration; and removal and restoration procedures and schedules that will be employed if the MWET(s) become inoperative or non-functional.

(m)   The applicant shall submit a decommissioning plan that will be carried out at the end of the MWET's useful life, and shall describe any agreement with the landowner(s) regarding equipment removal upon termination of the lease.

(n)   The Township reserves the right to review all maintenance plans and bonds under this Ordinance to ensure that all conditions of the permit arc being followed.

(o)   The Township must be notified of a change in ownership of an MWET or a change in ownership of the lot on which the MWET is located.

(p)   The Township reserves the right to inspect any MWET in order to ensure compliance with the Ordinance. Any cost associated with the inspections shall be paid by the WET owner/operator.

(2)   Vibration: Verification that the MWET will not produce vibrations humanly perceptible beyond the lot on which it is located.

(3)   Shadow Flicker:  The WET owner(s) and/or operator(s) shall conduct an analysis on potential shadow flicker at any occupied building with direct line-of-sight to the MWET and at the buildable area of any vacant adjacent lot with direct line-of-sight to the MWET that could accommodate an occupied building. The analysis shall identify the locations of shadow flicker that may be caused by the project and the expected durations of the shadow flicker at these locations from sun-rise to sun-set over the course of a year. The analysis shall identify situations where shadow flicker may affect the occupants of the buildings for more than thirty (30) hours per year, and describe measures that shall be taken to eliminate or mitigate the problems. Shadow flicker on a building shall not exceed thirty (30) hours per year.

(4)   Guy Wires: Guy wires shall not be permitted as part of the MWET.

(5)   Noise: Verification that the noise emanating from the operation of an MWET will not exceed, at any time, the maximum permissible sound levels outlined in Section 4.30 of this Ordinance.

(6)   Electrical System: All electrical controls, control wiring, grounding wires, power lines, and all other electrical system components of the MWET shall be buried underground at a depth in accordance with the applicable electrical code. Wires necessary to connect the WET to the tower wiring are exempt from this requirement.

(7)   Signal Interference: Verification that the MWET will not interfere with communication systems such as, but not limited to, radio, telephone, television, satellite, or emergency communication systems.

(8)   Anemometers: If an anemometer is installed prior to, or in conjunction with an MWET, it must be done so in accordance with the following provisions:

(a)   The construction, installation, or modification of an anemometer tower shall require a zoning permit and applicable building, electrical or mechanical permits and shall conform to all applicable local, state, and federal applicable safety, construction, environmental, electrical, communications, and FAA requirements.

(b)   An anemometer shall be subject to the minimum requirements for height, setback, separation, location, safety, and decommissioning of this Ordinance that correspond to the size of the MWET that is proposed to be constructed on the site.

(9)   Other Information: Additional details and information as required by the special use requirements of the Ordinance, or as requested by the Planning Commission or the Township Board.

(B)   All MWETs must be sited and designed in accordance with the following.

(1)   Design: The design of an MWET shall conform to all applicable industry standards, specifically including without limit the design standards set forth in subsection (C)(6) below.

(2)   Visual Appearance:

(a)   Each MWET, including accessory buildings and other related structures shall be a non-reflective, non-obtrusive color (e.g. white, gray, black). The appearance of turbines, towers and buildings shall be maintained throughout the life of the MWET.

(b)   No MWET may be artificially lighted, except to the extent required by the FAA or other applicable authority, or unless otherwise approved by the Township Board.

(3)   Use for Display Purposes: No MWET shall be used for displaying any advertising (including flags, streamers, or decorative items), except for reasonable identification of the turbine manufacturer or WET operator(s).

(4)   Location:  If an MWET is located on a lot with an occupied building, it shall only be located in the rear yard in accordance with this subsection. However, an MWET may be located in a side yard or front yard of a lot that has an occupied building only if it is set back at least one hundred fifty (150) feet from the front lot line, as measured from the base of the tower. The MWET shall only be located in a general common element in a condominium development, or open space in a planned unit development.

(5)   Setback and Separation:

(a)   Occupied Building Setback:  The setback from all occupied buildings on the applicant's lot shall be a minimum of the total height of the MWET.

(b)   Property Line Setbacks: With the exception of the locations of streets or private roads (see below), drain rights-of-way and parcels with occupied buildings (see above), the internal lot line setbacks shall be equal to the total height of the MWET as measured from the base of the tower.

(c)   Street or Private Road Setbacks: Each MWET shall be set back from the nearest street or private road a distance equal to the total height of the MWET.

(d)   Communication and Electrical Lines: Each MWET shall be set back from the nearest above-ground public electric power line or telephone line a distance equal to the total height of the MWET, as measured from the base of the tower, determined from the existing power line or telephone line.

(e)   Tower Separation: MWET tower separation shall be based on industry standard and manufacturer recommendation.

(6)   Height: The total height of an MWET shall not exceed one hundred fifty (150) feet.

(7)   Ground Clearance: The lowest extension of any blade or other exposed moving component of an MWET shall be at least fifteen (15) feet above the ground (at the highest point of the grade level within fifty [50] feet of the base of the tower) and, in addition, at least fifteen (15) feet above any outdoor surfaces intended for human occupancy, such as decks, balconies or roof gardens, that are located directly below the MWET.

(8)   Quantity: No more than one (1) MWET shall be installed for every two and one-half (2.5) acres of land included in the lot. The Township Board may   allow   more MWETS in a condominium development or planned unit development if appropriate. The Township Board shall consider the size of the lot, the size of the condominium development or planned unit development, the use of the lot, the location of the proposed MWETS, the use of and impact upon adjoining lots, and other relevant factors in determining if additional WETs are appropriate.

(C)   All MWETs must be designed to meet the following safety requirements:

(1)   Net-Metering: If the MWET is connected to a public utility system for net-metering purposes, it shall meet the requirements for interconnection and operation as set forth in the public utility's then-current service regulations applicable to wind power generation facilities, and the connection shall be inspected by the appropriate public utility.

(2)   Automatic Braking System: The MWET shall be equipped with an automatic braking or governing system to prevent uncontrolled rotation, over-speeding, and excessive pressure on the tower, rotor blades and other wind energy components unless the manufacturer certifies that a braking system is not necessary.

(3)   Prevention of Unauthorized Access: Security measures must be in place to prevent unauthorized trespass and access. Each MWET shall be enclosed by security fencing not less than six (6) feet in height and shall also be equipped with an appropriate anti-climbing device; provided however, that the Township Board may waive such requirements, as it deems appropriate. All access doors to MWETs and electrical equipment shall be locked as appropriate, to prevent entry by non-authorized persons.

(4)   Removal of Hazardous Materials: All spent lubricants, cooling fluids, and any other hazardous materials shall be properly and safely removed in a timely manner.

(5)   Signage: Each MWET shall have one (1) sign, not to exceed two (2) square feet in area, posted at the base of the tower and on the security fence if applicable. The sign shall contain at least the following:

(a)   Warning High Voltage;

(b)   Manufacturer's and WET owner/operator's name;

(c)   Emergency contact numbers (list more than one [1] number).

(6)   Structural Integrity: The structural integrity of the MWET shall conform to the design standards of the International Electrical Commission, specifically IEC 61400-1, "Wind Turbine Safety and Design," IEC 61400-22, "Wind Turbine Certification,'" and IEC 61400-23, "Blade Structural Testing," or any similar successor standards.

(D)   Any MWET that is to be decommissioned shall be done so in accordance with the following requirements:

(1)   Any WET owner(s) or operator(s) shall complete decommissioning within six (6) months after the end of the useful life. Upon request of the WET owner(s) or operator(s), and for a good cause, the Township Supervisor, or the Township Supervisor's designee, may grant a reasonable extension of time. Each MWET will be presumed to be at the end of its useful life if no electricity is generated for a continuous period of six (6) months; the end of its useful life may also be established by other facts and circumstances determined by the Township Supervisor or the Township Supervisor's designee. All decommissioning expenses are the responsibility of the WET owner(s) or operator(s).

(2)   Decommissioning shall include the removal of each MWET, buildings, electrical components, and private roads to a depth of sixty (60) inches, as well as any other associated facilities. Any foundation shall be removed to a minimum depth of sixty (60) inches below grade, or to the level of the bedrock if less than sixty (60) inches below grade. Following removal, the location of any remaining WET foundation shall be identified on a map as such and recorded with the deed to the lot with the County Register of Deeds.

(3)   All private roads of access to the MWET shall be removed, cleared, and graded by the WET owner(s), unless the property owner(s) requests, in writing, a desire to maintain the private road.

(4)   The site and any disturbed earth shall be stabilized, graded, and cleared of any debris by the WET owner(s) or the assigns of the WET owner(s).  If the site is not to be used for agricultural practices following removal, the site shall be seeded to prevent soil erosion.

(5)   If the WET owner(s) or operator(s) fails to complete decommissioning within the period prescribed above, the Township may designate a contractor to complete decommissioning with the expense thereof to be charged to the violator and/or to become a lien against the lot.  If the MWET is not owned by the lot owner(s), a bond, security deposit, or bank letter of credit must be provided to the Township for the cost of decommissioning each MWET.

Section 27. Effective Date. This amendment to the Robinson Township Zoning Ordinance was approved and adopted by the Township Board of Robinson Township, Ottawa County, Michigan on September 21, 2009, after a public hearing as required pursuant to Michigan Act 110 of 2006, as amended.  This Ordinance shall be effective on October 8, 2009, which date is the eighth day after publication of a Notice of Adoption and Posting of the Zoning Text Amendment Ordinance in the Grand Haven Tribune, as required by Section 401 of Act 110, as amended. However, this effective date shall be extended as necessary to comply with the requirements of Section 402 of Act 110, as amended.

____________________________         _____________________________
Tracy Mulligan,   Jackie Frye,
Township Supervisor   Township Clerk

RB090950
CERTIFICATE

I, Jackie Frye, the Clerk for the Township of Robinson, Ottawa County, Michigan, certify that the foregoing Robinson Township Zoning Text Amendment Ordinance was adopted at a regular meeting of the Township Board held on September 21, 2009.  The following members of the Township Board were present at that meeting: Tracy Mulligan, Jackie Frye, Bonnie Hayward, Bernice Berens and John Kuyers.  The following members of the Township Board were absent: None. The Ordinance was adopted by the Township Board with members of the Board Mulligan, Frye, Hayward, Berens and Kuyers voting in favor and members of the Board nonevoting in opposition. Notice of Adoption of the Ordinance was published in the Grand Haven Tribune on September 30, 2009.

frepdx

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 07:51:02 PM »
The other thing that enters into this is every person who wants to put up a small wind system will have to go this route if they cant afford a monopole tower, this thing is WRONG and needs to change, I'm not in it just to get my tower up, I want to see lots of other wind towers out there, with this ordinance that wont happen, right now
I'm looking for hungry ambulance chasers that will work on contingency, if I sue each member of the county and township boards individually they cannot use public funds to defend themselves, these morons need to be taught a lesson and made and example of, I would love to financially destroy each one of them along with the county and the township.

I like the idea of calling the local media. Make the case that the appeal fee and escrow are a genuine hardship for you and everyone else who wants to do this. Be ready to explain in simple terms why a monopole is an expensive and unnecessary hardship. And then give them a tour of your magnificent turbine - it's a real beauty (if it's the picture I'm thinking about).

Some people might not be too sympathetic if you bypass the normal process of appeal and head straight to court, so let everyone know that the fees and escrow are a genuine financial obstruction.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 07:54:38 PM by frepdx »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 07:55:40 PM »
... if I sue each member of the county and township boards individually they cannot use public funds to defend themselves ...

But what are you going to sue them over?

I'm not sure how it works in Michigan, but normally a suit against a government officiasl personally (rater than against them as the holders of an office) must be based on evidence that they acted improperly in passing and/or enforcing the ordinance.  If they're elected to make a decision and make a not-provably-dishonest decision using proper procedure, it's part of their job description and they're not personally liable if the decision was a poor one.  In particular, the recourse against bad legislatORS is the ballot box and against bad legislatION is new legislation or a suit to strike it on its merits, not a suit targeting the personal finances of the individuals who voted for it or enforce it.

If they did it as part of their normal process and you don't have some evidence that their decision was based on wrongdoing (such as a bribe by a turbine company or a conflict-of-interest in which they didn't recuse themselves), the suit gets instantly thrown out as frivolous - costs to you and with prejudice, i.e. you can't start over suing them over the same thing.

Or at least that's how I understand it.  IANAL, so take this opinion with an appropriate amount of salt.

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2010, 08:13:47 PM »
Looked at the ordinance:  Looks like there's a lot more than just the monopole tower issue, especially for a homebrew turbine.  Nameplate ratings?  A basket pf IEC standards covering such aspects as structural testing of the blades?  Egad!

Pity.  I was going to suggest you look into getting a used traffic signal plus streetlight pole for your monopole mast.

(Hmmm...   "Nameplate ratings" argue for a motor conversion with the windings left intact so the relevant items on the nameplate are still applicable.  B-)  )

Doesn't  Michigan have initiative and referendum?  Why not put together a model wind power ordinance with reasonable and homebrew-friendly terms (such as "Must be farther from the property line than its height." as the main safety criterion) and first present it to the board as a proposed substitute and if they don't bite put it on the ballot as a voter initiative?

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2010, 08:29:04 PM »

I like the idea of calling the local media. Make the case that the appeal fee and escrow are a genuine hardship for you and everyone else who wants to do this. Be ready to explain in simple terms why a monopole is an expensive and unnecessary hardship. And then give them a tour of your magnificent turbine - it's a real beauty (if it's the picture I'm thinking about).

Some people might not be too sympathetic if you bypass the normal process of appeal and head straight to court, so let everyone know that the fees and escrow are a genuine financial obstruction.

I have emailed every major media outlet, print and they don't seem to give a crap, must be because it has nothing to do with Lynsey Lohan or Sara Palin.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2010, 08:32:30 PM »
... if I sue each member of the county and township boards individually they cannot use public funds to defend themselves ...

But what are you going to sue them over?

I'm not sure how it works in Michigan, but normally a suit against a government officiasl personally (rater than against them as the holders of an office) must be based on evidence that they acted improperly in passing and/or enforcing the ordinance.  If they're elected to make a decision and make a not-provably-dishonest decision using proper procedure, it's part of their job description and they're not personally liable if the decision was a poor one.  In particular, the recourse against bad legislatORS is the ballot box and against bad legislatION is new legislation or a suit to strike it on its merits, not a suit targeting the personal finances of the individuals who voted for it or enforce it.

If they did it as part of their normal process and you don't have some evidence that their decision was based on wrongdoing (such as a bribe by a turbine company or a conflict-of-interest in which they didn't recuse themselves), the suit gets instantly thrown out as frivolous - costs to you and with prejudice, i.e. you can't start over suing them over the same thing.

Or at least that's how I understand it.  IANAL, so take this opinion with an appropriate amount of salt.

Discrimination on the basis of wealth, it is simple, if you can afford a system that is high end everything you can harvest wind power on your own land, if you can't afford a Cadillac system you are out of luck, in my book that is not equal opportunity under the law.

Beaufort

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2010, 09:31:10 PM »
Thanks for posting the ordinance...that thing is nuts!  We're looking to move to Michigan but will stay away from that township.  Is this a very populated area, or rural with farms?

Volvo farmer

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2010, 09:33:49 PM »
Quote from: fabricator

Discrimination on the basis of wealth, it is simple, if you can afford a system that is high end everything you can harvest wind power on your own land, if you can't afford a Cadillac system you are out of luck, in my book that is not equal opportunity under the law.

You might want to talk to a lawyer. I have never heard of a law protecting anyone from discrimination based on wealth in the United States.  Capitalism is sort of based on discrimination on the basis of wealth, if you know what I mean.

Less bark, more wag.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2010, 10:01:45 PM »
Thanks for posting the ordinance...that thing is nuts!  We're looking to move to Michigan but will stay away from that township.  Is this a very populated area, or rural with farms?

Totally rural, I have 80 acres with no visible neighbors