Remote Living > Transportation

Diesel Hybrid truck (consumer class)

(1/3) > >>

Rover:
I'm just wondering why  no commercial  outfit (major auto manufacturer ) hasn't  made a diesel hybrid truck yet?   or maybe they have?

Seems an easy way to get to the CAFE standards proposed in the US.

DamonHD:
Google suggests for "diesel hybrid truck", just for example, way back in '06, while Lehman Brothers was still a force to be reckoned with rather than wrecked:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/07/milestone_hybri.php

Rgds

Damon

Bruce S:
Damon;
Great minds think alike and find the same links :)

Rover;
To further damon's post; even in the world of RE and battery power vehicles. Diesel is right up there. biggest problem I see: When someone goes about building a vehicle that gets better mileage and the diesel's are brought in; the mileage is soo good they find adding electrics can add much un-needed / unwanted weight and complexity.
That commercial sector has the knowledge to do this BUT they must go through tons of red tape to put them into use. The red tape is for the most part and good thing.

A good read is over in "mother" and the on-going saga of the 3-cylinder diesel he's using and how well it's coming along.

Good question that needs to be asked !
Cheers
Bruce S

ghurd:
You mean a pick-up or a semi?
It would take a lot of battery and electric motor to make a dent in propelling 80,000 pounds.  LOL

CAFE is basically for cars?
I think most diesel pick-ups are purchased with the same idea as a semi and would have the same issues as a semi, except on a smaller scale.  It would probably be too expensive to be retailed.

Smaller trucks (Tacoma, Ranger, S-10 sized) have not been made with diesels that sold very well.  Not sure who made what.
Last one I can think of was the VW Rabbit diesel pick-up, which I would love to have one of those with a hybrid package!
Between the diesel and hybrid, pretty sure it would be too expensive to sell.
G-

Rover:
I was thinking of consummer trucks ~ 3/4 ton . .(f150 up, my Tacoma , etc) (makes me boil that they don't do smaller trucks in diesel to start with, I don't need a f250 350 etc ) .

I thought CAFE included fleet, (I could be wrong.. didn't go look) .

As far as larger vehicles .. not Semi, but buses, they are already doing it , I see my city's new buses which are hybrid, but I'm pretty sure its NG/electric

Yep, I see the sea of red tape too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version