Remote Living > Transportation

diesel hybrid

(1/3) > >>

WindriderNM:
I just picked up a 3 cyl diesel 10kw generator mounted on a trailer $75. I am thinking of trying to make a diesel/vegi/electric hybrid out of it. I am wondering if i should use ac or dc motors?  Inverter vs diodes. Any ideas?

Bruce S:
Will need to know a few more details  ;)
Who is the engine made by & Liter size will be good.
There can be a few gotcha's with some of the TDI and direct injection types that you'll need to watch out for.
Does sound like a great find.

For power that needs long distance I prefer AC from generator to where inverter will be then rectify the output to DC.
AC tends to have less loss over a longer distance, this would be the way I would go.
However, that does not mean DC is out, it can truly be whatever you have laying around and works.

IF this is to be a vehicle then there's a whole bunch of ways to go.

More details plz  ;D
Bruce S

Rover:
I'm also interested in what your plans are, please give more detail.

Hybrid.. hybrid what? ... power source (battery charging, grid tie?) , vehicle? , etc.

I'm guestimating the diesel at ~ 25 -  30 hp... close?

I'm also curious about your inclusion of motors,  sounds like you are going for mobility

WindriderNM:
I am thinking about transportation I have a 1958 Anglia car with a bad motor. I'm not sure  what size the diesel is it says  Tokya Roki on some of the filters and Toyo on the radiator and Phillips Diesel 18 HP  10kw Los Lunas  New Mexico on the generator. It is probably 18 HP. 

Rover:

--- Quote from: WindriderNM on September 03, 2010, 09:31:36 PM ---I am thinking about transportation I have a 1958 Anglia car with a bad motor. I'm not sure  what size the diesel is it says  Tokya Roki on some of the filters and Toyo on the radiator and Phillips Diesel 18 HP  10kw Los Lunas  New Mexico on the generator. It is probably 18 HP. 

--- End quote ---

I 'm not familiar with the Anglia so I did a little research, 36 bhp? roughly 1700 lbs?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Anglia

So let's take stock on what you have.  18 hp diesel generator as a replacement power plant. What is the output voltage , 110?

Kind of a small power plant to use in the vehicle, you are starting with 1/2 the hp, then the losses to get to 10KW AC

Probably more efficient to just use the diesel as power plant directly, even then you may need mount a mast on the Anglia and hoist a sail.

Probably doable , but efficient hyrid? , probably not . Wouldn't really be a hybrid per say , more like a diesel electric, unless you plan on mounting batteries, and coming up with an engine stop start , motor stop start controller etc... An if you mount batteries, well you just upped the vehicle weight . You would also want some form of regenerative power generation , say from braking, Otherwise you are operarting everything as a net loss when compared to just using the diesel output.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version