Author Topic: Woody goes shopping.  (Read 7250 times)

zap

• There's an app for that
Woody goes shopping.
« on: September 05, 2010, 12:38:09 PM »
Woody's about a year old with 150 or so miles on him.  Most things are holding up well so I figured it's time for a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMOlKoqCD3I

Here's the story on Woody.
http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,130246.0.html

Volvo farmer

Re: Woody goes shopping.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 01:17:58 PM »
Extremely well done!

Does that camera of yours do the time lapse or is that some software trick?

Less bark, more wag.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 01:32:38 PM »
Very good!

(And supermarkets may be the same the world over...!)

I do really like taking the trailer into the store as a trolley.  That alone is an excellent reducer of aggravation IMHO.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 05:59:54 PM »
Nice. Will it fit an insulated box for buying frozen goods? Maybe stick a styrofoam box inside the plasic one.

12AX7

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 06:30:18 PM »
Hello..

I understand that "Woody" is suppose to push your bike,  but the video looks like you're doing a lot of peddling?

ax7

zap

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 08:13:20 PM »
Extremely well done!

Does that camera of yours do the time lapse or is that some software trick?

Thanks Vf...the camera will do time lapse with a software hack and it does it very nicely.  The time lapse on this video was done in editing because I wasn't sure if I wanted to slow things down to show the trailer being hooked up and unhooked so I filmed everything in 640x320 15fps.

Just about all the Canon "A" series can use the CHDK (Canon Hack Development Kit).  http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK  It would do a nice time lapse of your tracking panels ;)
If you look at craigslist or fleebay you can sometimes pick up very nice deals.  Last week I saw a Canon A560 on craigslist "used very little, works like new" still in box and complete for $40!

Very good!

(And supermarkets may be the same the world over...!)

I do really like taking the trailer into the store as a trolley.  That alone is an excellent reducer of aggravation IMHO.

Rgds

Damon
Thanks Damon, it's pretty easy to hook/unhook which was the main consideration when I started building him.

Nice. Will it fit an insulated box for buying frozen goods? Maybe stick a styrofoam box inside the plasic one.
Right when I get the trailer outside in the video you can see a Rubber Maid 30gal. tote to the right of the trailer.  I found that a few weeks ago in a dumpster when I was out riding.  I came home and grabbed Woody and went back and strapped it on and it barely fit.
The deck is 28"x 16" wide and I would feel comfortable with... maybe 60 to 70lbs on top...
I have an insulated bag I'll toss in when I think I need to keep something cool but a Styrofoam box or cooler would work well.  I just haven't found the right one yet ::)  Thanks dnix!

Hello..
I understand that "Woody" is suppose to push your bike,  but the video looks like you're doing a lot of peddling?

ax7
Woody will push me along on level ground for 12 miles without any pedaling at around 17mph... faster if you want but then range decreases.  I pedal all the time, mostly as a habit, but it's about the only kind of exercise I like :)  so I always try to pedal.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 09:53:12 PM »
I have this Canon camera: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/SX100   I'll read up on the hacks they have. Thanks for the reference.

zap

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 11:12:48 AM »
I have this Canon camera: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/SX100   I'll read up on the hacks they have. Thanks for the reference.
I'm not sure what features you'll get with a SX100IS but mine seemed like a whole new camera... "kid in candy shop" kinda thing ;D

The features approach superfluous for me but the histogram and zebra stripes can come in darn handy.

Volvo farmer

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 04:50:01 PM »
Quote from: zap

Just about all the Canon "A" series can use the CHDK (Canon Hack Development Kit).  http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK  It would do a nice time lapse of your tracking panels ;)

Hey! How did you know what I wanted to shoot in time lapse?  :P

Thanks for the tip on that camera. I'll keep my eyes open for one, they certainly seem affordable!
Less bark, more wag.

zap

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 11:07:58 PM »

Hey! How did you know what I wanted to shoot in time lapse?  :P
[/quote]
I really don't know how... but it scares me sometimes. :o

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 12:15:04 PM »
ZAP;
 Cool vid. ;D
Woody sure looks like you got more than your monies worth  :).
Do you still have the bottom hinged for easy access? How's the hinges holding up?

Cheers
Bruce S

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

zap

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 09:17:59 PM »
ZAP;
 Cool vid. ;D
Woody sure looks like you got more than your monies worth  :).
Do you still have the bottom hinged for easy access? How's the hinges holding up?

Cheers
Bruce S

Thanks Bruce.
For what I have in it I think it was a pretty good bargain... money and time well spent.

I'm not sure what you mean by "bottom hinged".  The deck lid is hinged at the front, the full width of the box and is holding up fine.

Woody's holding up quite well actually with a few small exceptions:
The hinge that allows the trailer arm to pivot over and become the cart handle broke at a "reception" in Boulder when a well intentioned stranger pulled it off to the side and snapped it.  Luckily I have a few spares and it was a quick fix once I got it back home.

The home made knife switch was arcing badly from vibration and was trying to weld itself in the ON position so I've done a quickie fix by moving the outsides of the switch to one side and now the "knife" drops on the side of the two and pushes them together... so far so good.

The lock is taking some abuse from all the vibration but it's still holding up although at times it does act up and requires some jiggling.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 09:43:59 AM »
Yep;
 Should've said top hinged  :-\
Does look like its holding up.
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

madlabs

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 11:31:16 AM »
Great project and vid, enjoyed both very much!

Jonathan

zap

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 11:30:35 PM »
Thanks Jonathan.  It was actually pretty fun doing the video.