Author Topic: beginner questions  (Read 1324 times)

glennc

beginner questions
« on: October 03, 2010, 08:17:16 PM »
Hi! I'm new at building generators and was hoping for some help. I was able to put together a small three phase generator from information that I've collected from the internet, but my knowledge of electricity is so limited I'm not sure how to test it. Can I hook it up directly to my multimeter (having three wires instead of two throws me off), do I have to hook it up to some lights, or do I have to build a rectifier circuit? Its really a testament that someone with very little electrical know-how can actually put one of these together! I'm sure that this is all elementary to you guys, but I feel that if I can get past this, it would help me take further steps to completing this project. Thanks.

Bub73

Re: beginner questions
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 09:11:30 PM »
 You can test the ac output by measuring any two of the three phases at a time with your multimeter set to ac.
If you get your desired ac output you will then need a 3 phase rectifier or three single phase rectifiers to covert the output to DC if battery charging is your goal.
 Others here are better qualified to help than I am but the more detail and info you can post the better they will be able to help you and don't be afraid to use the forums search function there is a wealth of answers already posted in past post.

Hope this helps
Bob

willib

• SuperHero Member
Re: beginner questions
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 11:45:26 PM »
Hi glenn ,
as bob said you can test the AC Volts with your AC meter.

You can also test it on the DC setting by using individual diodes .
you will need at least four to test two wires comming from your alternator.
and six diodes to properly test all three wires comming from the alt.

as a side note just one diode will rectify the output , but this will just be half wave rectification.
as opposed to full wave rectification from four diodes and six.

if you google half wave rectification  and full wave rectification wikipedia has a good explanation i'm sure.
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)