Author Topic: charge controller  (Read 2514 times)

Devo2

charge controller
« on: September 23, 2010, 08:41:41 PM »
Finally going to get a charge controller next week, I am undecided between the xantrexc series & morning star. If you are using wind power can you use it for charging the batteries (pwm) or just diversion & load control?  Also is there a
 decent mppt available for wind for a 48 volt cut in windmill.

Thanks for any help before I buy.

Devo

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: charge controller
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 09:08:13 AM »
I think most people like the TS series better than the C series.
The C series can be slow to react and runs at a slower frequency.

The TS series dumps in PWM too, so it is still working in PWM when dumping.
Here is a video by 'fused' of a TS with an LED light connected in parallel with the dump load.  Can see how the PWM is working.
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm249/Southbuck7/?action=view&current=MVI_0210.mp4

G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

hydrosun

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 02:12:18 PM »
Other people would know more about the unit for wind, but check out Midnight solar for the Classic mppt. It should be available about now. I haven't used it yet but am interested in it's higher voltage range.
I've used both the C series and TS.  The C series seems a simpler, easier to understand to hookup and set with rheostats. The TS seems to work well once installed with the right settings (the diversion mode is different than solar, unlike the C series). Yeah I learned that by experience and 120 mile round trip drive. The C series seems to be a little lower cost too.
Chris

boB

• boB
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 02:38:30 PM »
Other people would know more about the unit for wind, but check out Midnight solar for the Classic mppt. It should be available about now. I haven't used it yet but am interested in it's higher voltage range.

Chris

Yes, should be starting to ship within a month now.

Unfortunately, this does not mean that enough will be available at first to satisfy all of the
orders, so there will still be some time to wait at first for many.

We will bust our butts as best we can of course, but must be careful with quality at the same time.

boB

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 03:00:58 PM »

We will bust our butts as best we can of course, but must be careful with quality at the same time.

boB

boB;

Good to know you won't just pump them out fast and use end users as your beta testers!

Tom

boB

• boB
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 04:46:20 PM »

boB

boB;

Good to know you won't just pump them out fast and use end users as your beta testers!

Tom

Yep, absolutely !   We've been beta testing the hardware for quite some time now and  this seems very solid.
Several revisions of hardware as well now.

That being said, software may not be exactly 100%, (is software ever 100% ?), but at least one
won't have to send the unit back to the plant every time it gets better and closer.

This is really exciting to see it getting so close to shipping now.   It's been way too long !

boB

Tritium

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 07:14:18 PM »

boB

boB;

Tom

Yep, absolutely !   We've been beta testing the hardware for quite some time now and  this seems very solid.
Several revisions of hardware as well now.

That being said, software may not be exactly 100%, (is software ever 100% ?), but at least one
won't have to send the unit back to the plant every time it gets better and closer.

This is really exciting to see it getting so close to shipping now.   It's been way too long !

boB

Buggy software from Washington State is the norm for many (pretty much expected that is) since micro$oft rules the world.  ::)

Thurmond
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:40:31 PM by Tritium »

Devo2

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 08:27:33 PM »
I will read up on Midnight Solar before I buy. We had huge wind in Ontario today. I was seeing 30 - 40 amps at 54 volts on an 11" prop. Unfortunatley one of the connections I had to the battery melted & when the mill free wheeled it burned up one of the 3000xl ups's I was using to power the TV's... Dang it!!

Guess I better double up on that wire-I knew it was to thin but left it..It's always harder when you know it's your fault  :'(.

Got my sub panel hooked up for the listeroid today now I need to get the dreaded inspector.

Devo