Author Topic: Is there a market for retractable towers?  (Read 4022 times)

TheEquineFencer

Is there a market for retractable towers?
« on: May 16, 2016, 07:47:18 PM »
I've been working for a company near Raleigh,NC ,USA on some solar light towers. I've been wondering if there's a niche market for retractable towers? The towers they build you have an option of hand crank or 24VDC winch power to raise and lower them. They collapse into themselves sort of like an "old school car antenna." They use a cable system that when one cable is operated it'll send the entire stack up at one time until fully extended up to around 25-30 feet. They also have the LED lights on them and also an optional Air40 wind turbine on the same mast. I've watched the guys over in that section build them and the parts they get it from the company that builds the sub assemblies looks repeatable here at home with a little bit of work. It's just an idea I'm kicking around. I may try to build a tower like they use to see what it would cost and work. They have some previous versions they no longer use I may try to buy one of those at a "deal" if I can. I figured I throw this out and see what people think. 

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Is there a market for retractable towers?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 07:08:45 PM »
US Tower makes them along with 1 or 2 other companies. This is my 33 foot heavy duty tower before I mounted the antennas. Model is TMM433-HD

Extended about 2/3 of the way...

TheEquineFencer

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 11:58:08 PM »
The ones I'm talking about are a LOT more compact and go up just about as tall. Do you have a link or idea on the cost of one? I'll try to Google it and see when I get another minute.

TheEquineFencer

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 12:14:49 AM »
Here's where I was working before I had to take off for surgery. http://www.progresssolarsolutions.com/index.html
Hopefully I'll have a job when it's all over with.
The light towers used are two different configurations. One lays down and is cranked upright by one winch, then is cranked up by another. Then the other is already upright and is just extended up with one crank.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 07:12:54 PM »
A crank up tubular tower is not strong enough to hold a wind turbine of any size, US Tower makes those too! Mine is rated at 30 square feet of wind loading fully extended. The tubular towers are rated MUCH lower!

TheEquineFencer

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 08:38:08 PM »
I understand. I'm not sure what the one are rated or if they were ever rated on the light towers we build. I'm think of use for smaller wind mills like a small "hobbyist" would build. They the Air40 on them with it mounted on the same tower as the lights. I'm thinking about making an offer on the obsolete ones and see who they work for a small turbine and also to take it apart to see exactly how to build one.