Author Topic: Measure RPMs?  (Read 2603 times)

JMaris

Measure RPMs?
« on: October 10, 2010, 09:07:13 PM »
I was wondering if any of you have set up a way to measure realtime RPMs of your wind generators? Do any of you with more experience think it would be beneficial?

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Measure RPMs?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 03:49:42 AM »
If you use an alternator it is fairly easy to measure frequency to determine rpm.

If you are interested in performance and want to optimise the loading it is useful. Unlessyou want to go down this route then it may be of little value although it is useful during bench testing to get a good starting point.

Flux

jarrod9155

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 08:09:57 AM »
Go to controls and there is a big post on rpm s , I use the hz to get he rpms for tuning .

imsmooth

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 08:41:24 AM »
I use a Sigma bicycle computer.  They are very cheap.  I used it for bench testing, but you can keep it on your axial and run the wire down for a real-time measurement in the field.  I've inlcuded the calculation on the page.

http://www.mindchallenger.com/wind/wgpage5a.html

JMaris

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 10:17:25 AM »
I completely overlooked the controls section. I will have to go check it out.

taylorp035

• Stressed spelled backwards is Desserts
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 02:51:54 PM »
On my supermileage car, we built a homemade rpm counter, using a piece of sheet metal, a 6" OD PVC pipe and some zip-ties.  We then made a simple computer with a screen and an interrupter sensor.  Of course, this only helps if you know how to make the computer.  The whole set up cost less than $100. 

As you hinted though, it may not be necessary to build one / need one.

BrianSmith

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 11:29:16 PM »
I built a little board that measures RPMs of a wind generator and provides an alarm output based on RPMs.  I am currently retooling it to add an external wind sensor input, volt, current, and power monitoring.  Probably be a few months before its ready to test.  There is some good info this about how its done below if your interested.

https://sites.google.com/site/rpmmeter/

JMaris

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 10:53:06 AM »
That's what I was thinking about. Using it kind of as a safety system. I have access to rpm setups already. All I would have to do it to mount it on my turbine when I build it.