Author Topic: Ebikes are now "DUI scooters"  (Read 6030 times)

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Ebikes are now "DUI scooters"
« on: October 03, 2010, 10:32:08 PM »
http://www.tampabay.com/news/transportation/article1124224.ece

Just great. Now if you ride an ebike people will think you're a drunkard.

Kind of expensive, too.

freejuice

Re: Ebikes are now "DUI scooters"
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 05:32:55 AM »
dnix71,
 around here for the longest of time, people have refered to mopeds as DUI-cycles or Liquor-cycles.
 Indeed unfair, I know several folks who have mopeds and only use them for around town...they dont touch a drop.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 11:40:06 AM »
I'm glad the two gents have helped those who need the help.
The advertisement is kind of a bummer though,could put a stigma on those who have one for other reasons  ???.

I do like the fact the guys pointed out they can still get a ticket for driving/riding a bike drunk too. ;D

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 12:04:44 PM »
It's been a long time, but a local guy in an electric wheelchair got a DUI.
There was no sidewalk for a few yards, so he went on the road, as he had done Very frequently, and for years, between his home and his favorite pub.
IIRC,
He would have been OK if he did not go onto the road.
Or if he went onto the road with a NON electric wheel chair.
But the combination of a motor and on the road got him a DUI.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 02:38:22 PM »
There have been six bicyclists killed in the Tampa area in the last month. There is a story about that on the same page. People are giving up their cars but it has been costly.

The last victim was Diane Vega, who was on the sidewalk waiting for a light to change when someone ran a red light and slammed another car then rammed her into a brick wall.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 03:15:21 PM »
There have been six bicyclists killed in the Tampa area in the last month. There is a story about that on the same page. People are giving up their cars but it has been costly.

The last victim was Diane Vega, who was on the sidewalk waiting for a light to change when someone ran a red light and slammed another car then rammed her into a brick wall.
Did not see that on there, read most of the replies until they went into rant mode.

My wife's scooter in now fixed, having had to lay it down for some 9000 yr old lady who just didn't see her ???. The scooter metallic RED that shines like no tomorrow and has all the bells and whistles plus extra lights on it. Nice BIG 150cc. We carry full coverage on all 3 bikes (including Amy's e-bike) plus DOT approved Helmets from HD. Her's paid for itself in the blink of an eye.

Cost the lady $400.00 to fix the 150cc. $250.00 for new helmet.
I requested they leave the scratches on the side to show others what can happen.
IMO that if they're selling these to known DUI's; the offender's should carry full coverage. But that's me.
I'll still ride, much too nice not too, plus 88mpg is hard to beat.
I figure in a year's time the newer 3-wheelers will be down to a price I want to pay. Can't justify 3Gs when the 150cc is running so nice.

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard