Remote Living > Transportation

Run flat bicycle tires

<< < (2/5) > >>

zap:
Over 30 years ago I used my 10-speed for everything and rode it anywhere.  I got tired of always repairing flats and installed the solid tubes and they worked like a charm but I haven't had any experience with them lately.

I run Slime in all my bikes now.
After somewhere around 2500 miles, the only puncture the Slime hasn't sealed was from a 3/8" hardened tack like the type used to fasten carpet tack strip to concrete.
The tack entered between the tread and side wall and then got twisted/bent and caused a "V" type cut that the Slime couldn't seal.  This was Slime designed for bicycles, the Slime designed for autos or ATVs might have sealed it up.

You could try tire liners but they can be problematic and if not correctly installed can cause more flats.
You can make liners out of old tires and/or old tubes... similar concept to thorn proof tubes... they're thicker

Any solution will most likely add some weight  :(

dualsport54:
You might look at these. Little hard to install, but works very well for my dirtbikes.

http://www.tireballs.com/index.php

ghurd:
Only ran a hybred with Slime.
Only had one flat... not sure if it would have had a flat but the Slime sealed it.  How can you know?

The flat was not a big hole.
It looked like a fluorescent green pinwheel.  Slime went everywhere.
G-

hydrosun:
I rode a bike from coast to coast and back in 1980 with flat free inner tubes. The ride was a bit harder than with normal tubes and I broke a few spokes.  I don't know how well the newer airfree tubes work.
. On my bike now I bought a self sealing tube that has a product similar to slime but the bike store claimed was better. I have replaced it once when a large hole caused a continued slow leak.  I thought I had a problem last summer but found the filler valve wasn't screwed on tight enough.  I've got a 1 hp gas motor on the bike with an extra chain that makes it a lot harder to take the wheel off to repair a flat.  Trying to find the leak and repair along the road one night motivated me to find a way to decrease the times it goes flat.
Chris

dnix71:
DualSport, that looks interesting. I have a coworker who raced dirt bikes and still would except his spine just can't take the beating anymore. I'll ask him.

I had another blowout today. I had just done some wash when I heard a BANG and a loud hissssss. This time it was the front tube. Just sitting there and bang.
The valve core assembly itself actually blew out. The tube was molded with a nipple and the core assembly inserted into that. At least it's the front tire. That's not so much work to remove.

I also had the controller get weird on me Saturday. One the way home from the bank it just quit. The lights on the handlebar control showed full voltage, but nothing worked. After removing and reseating the battery pack a few times it seems to work again. I have to ride off road and off sidewalk a lot and the pounding may just be too much.

I have bought Slime before but was afraid to use it. If I got a big hole it would just make a bright green mess.

Sometimes I wonder if it's just me. I had a new bike at home and popped a wheelie and the rear axle snapped right there. I was skinny way back them. In college I went off a curb one time too many and had the front forks shear off. Another bike in college (French made, I blame them) broke off at the crank assembly swage and had to be discarded.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version