Author Topic: question about hugh 8 and 10 turbine design  (Read 1340 times)

snake21

question about hugh 8 and 10 turbine design
« on: October 18, 2010, 02:45:02 PM »
hi friends,can someone tell me what is th maximum power i can get from each design at full furl

and what is the minimum power i can expect in a 10mph wind speed?

if i build a 24v turbine and i connect it in a 12v system,will it work?

what will happen if i add some more turns per coil for a low wind area?

thanks

Tritium

Re: question about hugh 8 and 10 turbine design
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 09:24:49 PM »
Hugh's book (2009 version) rates the 8' at 700W and the 10' at 800W. This is from a chart on Page 4 of the English units version. The chart gives estimated monthly energy production in kWh. He doesn't state 10mph figures but does state 11mph as 8'  89kWh/month and 10' as 139kWh/month. I am sure YMMV. I will leave your other questions up to another more experienced poster.

Thurmond

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 08:57:25 AM »
"if i build a 24v turbine and i connect it in a 12v system,will it work?"
It will stall.

"what will happen if i add some more turns per coil for a low wind area?"
More than a couple extra turns, and it will stall.
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 09:39:04 AM »
Much will depend on your site and the obstructions in the vicinity.

The best you are likely to get at 10mph is something like 75W for 8ft and 115 for 10ft. That is for 10mph actual wind speed,( not the same as 10mph average).

There is no power in light winds and these machines are optimised to start producing at about 7mph. If you try any tricks to produce in lower winds you will gain very little as there is nothing there in the first place. These attempts will cost you very dearly in the higher winds where you can expect reasonable power.

Using a 24v machine on 12v will give poor results to the point of being practically useless.

Adding a few turns to an existing winding will almost certainly give you a TINY improvement below 10 mph and cost you so much in higher winds that you will most likely end up opening up the air gap to get back to near the standard winding.

Unless you are using low grade neo magnets or for some reason you can't maintain the normal air gap there is nothing to be gained from adding extra turns.

Flux