Author Topic: New Construction Grid-tie  (Read 5111 times)

pwhipple

New Construction Grid-tie
« on: March 05, 2014, 03:21:51 PM »
Hello,

I'm starting construction next month on my house and when its all finished I would like to add a grid-tie system with micro-inverters.  I'm pulling my own electrical permit and I have an electrician consulting for me but I figured I should ask the experts here with the PV experience.

My transformer is about 200 feet from the house and the PV array will be at the base of the transformer pole, with that in mind what is the best setup to put in now.  I figured put the meter socket and main disconnect in near the base of the pole (power company doesn't allow it to be mounted on the pole) and that would allow me to tie in the PV.  Any insights or recommendations would be appreciated. 

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
Re: New Construction Grid-tie
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 09:16:37 PM »
First off I suggest you be sure to brush up on your local electrical codes to learn what will be acceptable and what is not .
 I don't know about Canada but in the US but meters mounted on their own pole always must have a weather tight breaker disconnect panel as well and with the exception of RV or mobile home parks are considered as temporary power poles to be used for construction purposes only.
 This may be what you are talking about  You mentioned you will have an electrician as a consultant  are we to assume that this person is licensed as well? If so they would be your best source for code info in your area. 
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 09:34:44 PM »
I would have everything inside a power shed or at least a leanto. A lot depends on the type of weather you have. Will there be a battery back up system in the house or out at the PV panels? Do you already know how much power you will need for your house usage. You may have already figured everything out just thought I would ask. 13
MntMnROY 13

pwhipple

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 09:53:02 PM »
The electrician I have lined up is licensed and he will be a valuable source of information regarding code compliance.  I think the code allows for your meter socket and disconnect to be mounted on a post outside as my other neighbour down the way has his this way.  I'm thinking micro inverters will be the way to go as I can expand my system which will be easier to slip by the warden! A shed makes sense to keep things out of the weather.

Frank S

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 01:56:54 AM »
  Just some thoughts to ponder
 Micro inverters are nice providing you can locate all of them near your bank other wise having to run a large DC trunk line from your bank  can be costly.
 IF this were strictly an off grid set up things would be simpler, however treating the grid as an auxiliary power source rather than the primary has its advantages
 Setting up  your shed with the meter  bank and controllers as close to your house panel room with your rack of inverters can shorten the length of the main DC trunk line from the bank.

I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 05:19:42 PM »
Micro-inverters mount on each panel Frank, so if one goes down you only lose one panel.

Frank S

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 09:43:10 PM »
Some how I had this vision of dozens of tiny inverters scattered around his house which would have required a DC trunk line.
 because my set up goes from the inverter to a transfer switch or the generator to the transfer switch then to the panel . It will go automatic from inverter to generator but since I don't have a 220 split ph inverter it will not return automatically.
 I guess micro inverters may be a way to go, in my situation I can only think of needing a 1000w for the fridge or a 1200w for the microwave/ coffee pot plug and a pair of 300w for the TV/ and computer plugs and a 1200 w for anything else. But as long as my 1800w with 3600w overload cap AT&T PSW can handle everything and my 3000 Zantrex can handle the outside use I'll leave it as is as long as the wife doesn't try to brew coffee and use the nuke at the same time, because the 21 cf fridge/freezer may cycle during that time 

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 05:31:51 PM »
I don't know of any stand alone off grid microinverters, might be a new market.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 03:15:22 PM »
I don't know of any stand alone off grid microinverters, might be a new market.

you just need one psw inverter as a synch source then synch the enphases to that. then you can do the micro gti system in an off grid system
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 10:03:52 PM »
you just need one psw inverter as a synch source then synch the enphases to that. then you can do the micro gti system in an off grid system

The psw inverter will have to be a very low impedance output as the enphase micro inverter will try to 'pull' the frequency of the reference supply. If they can shift it then they'll shut down...
Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 09:00:45 PM »
not so finnicky as one would imagine I lost the link but there was a guy with a supurb write up on it. not really an interest to me but wa spointing out it could be don.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

cardamon

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 06:37:19 PM »
I am an electrical contractor in the States so your codes, methods and equipment may be different, but If I was doing that here:  Set a couple posts next to the pole to set your equipment on.  Almost everyone here makes it out of treated lumber but I prefer to use metal pip/rigid conduit and unistrut cross members fastened to the pipe with strut clamps for a more permanent install.  Mount your meter and a 3R main breaker panel with feed thru lugs.  The feed thru lugs will feed the house, and you will have some breaker spaces in it to tie the PV into and have temp work power.  Not sure if they have a bussbar rating requirement up there like they do here, but you should look into that so the equipment will be sized properly and ready for the PV connection

pwhipple

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 11:33:47 PM »
Thank you Cardamon, thats exactly the advice I was looking for!