Author Topic: Once upon a time … or our WW test lab  (Read 3728 times)

Juris

• Sail turbines with shaft parallel to wind
Once upon a time … or our WW test lab
« on: September 26, 2010, 05:29:01 PM »
Once upon a time… at my first visit to this forum I was ipressed with this photo in the center of the main page

Years had gone and now I have come to the same – here is our
Windwheels movable test lab

Details here http://sites.google.com/site/sailhawt/home/ww-test-lab
Video of the first work day - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdmu8nDq2Lc

We continue to be in the process with our sail windwheel.
Good luck @ good wind to everybody

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
Re: Once upon a time … or our WW test lab
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 05:34:50 PM »
Hey look kids! There goes one of those new hybrids!
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 08:50:46 PM »
Hello Juris,
It has been a while since your last update, and good to see your recent progress.  Is that a "Unimog" truck? 
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Juris

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 04:36:36 AM »
Hello Steven
Glad to see you!
The truck is from “MAN”. Take a look.
1190-0  1191-1

Have seen your home page – real scientific work with generators and nice workshop!

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 08:39:23 AM »
 Well I gota say would like to have one installed next to my septic tank also .
" Yeeeeah it just runs the radio Loretta." . "But Franky we cain"t use no more truck art ". Are you kiddin me it can remove all those feimminum devices annaad  work th radio too. ".All right let's see you make it work ." We'er just playin with the radio now sweety." Yo stannLy come in boy " 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 08:55:24 AM by tecker »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 10:45:44 AM »
Here is one of my favorites . . .

and lets not forget this one . . .
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 10:50:08 AM by wooferhound »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 01:24:56 AM »
Gee mine looks so small in comparison...

;)
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 08:00:07 AM »
I always try to do things a bit different than normal,
so decided to try a downwind version on a smaller vehicle.   8)
G-

www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 04:11:56 AM »
I really like this rotor by the way

Juris

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 02:45:33 AM »
would like to have one installed next to my septic tank
You WILL get it!
Now I have morning at my place, so I'll continue in the evening. Hope to get from you answer for the main question – what wind speeds during the year you have over your septic tank? If you do not know please send me your location (address or coordinates from Google Earth) – I'll see it myself in wind maps.

Juris

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 06:34:45 PM »
Hey tecker!
Let me explain mine today's situation. This sail windwheel was designed specially for experiments to get construction with the best possible performance. (At the same time we consider it as prototype of portable wind generator for hunters, fishermen, picnic, camps etc.
). The truck and measuring equipment, shown in the first post here, were prepared to succeed this aim.   We are in the very beginning of wheel optimization. So I am sure only in what I see today. From other hand I am also sure that the wheel will not be worse than today. Now it has 2 meter diameter and consists of hub, 12 spokes each with boom and sail, and the rim: weight - less than 3 kg. (Pic.1). The wind head without hood is shown on Pic.2. (As scale – spoke thickness is 10 mm). Its frame holds transmission (step-up gear with ratio 1:16) with the sail wheel mounted on its shaft (slow side) and the generator on opposite side.   Weight of the head without wheel - 3.8 kg. Measured starting torque is 5.8 N-m without electrical load. You can see on video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VutJp0J53DM ) that this torque wheel produce at wind speed about 1.0÷1,5 m/s (start-up wind speed), and starts to load the battery under the wind speed about 2 m/sec (cut-in wind speed) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyUI90r21C0 ).
The best wheels variant power curve for today is shown on Pic.3. (wind - m/s)
So, consider your experience in small wind energetic and especially your skill in electricity and electronics, I can offer you any set you want, starting with the wheel itself with the hole in the hub according the size of your shaft and till complete wind head with  charger according your battery voltage.
Any questions?
Please choose.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 07:12:00 PM by Juris »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 07:21:12 PM »
Excellent device for lift pumps or in my case a emulsifier to a digest er . These are fun times for people of little means and solid ideas everyone is so consumed with the White collar manifesto . I love your work . 

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 07:26:39 PM »
Give me a p[rice on the rotor with out the genset and I 'll couple it up to am axile I have ready . These would be prefect for some folks at the lake .just decoative enough to fit the dock there.

Juris

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 03:47:35 AM »
Excellent device for lift pumps or in my case a emulsifier to a digest er . These are fun times for people of little means and solid ideas everyone is so consumed with the White collar manifesto . I love your work . 
Hey!
The use of sail windwheel as the straight drive of air-compressor is known. One example is at this forum http://www.fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,138951.html .
But your second idea – to use sail windwheel as the beacon (pharos) on a lake shore is very fresh and unusual- you are the first with it!  ::) ::) ::)
I agree – blinking of rotating coloured sails will be seen well and from a long distance at day time, but at darkness – sure your will easy intall a light just on the wind head.
During 2-3 days I'll check today's prices for materials and order parts and then send you compleat list of everything.

Juris

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 06:24:38 AM »
Hey tecker!
I had sent you e-mail at October 9!
 No reply. Please check

Juris

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 04:02:55 PM »
Hey everybody!
I began to worry about tecker!
As you see here we had conversation and he suddenly stopped. He is silent from October 7 – no posts at all. No answer to e-mail and also to personal message. I took a look in his posts – he was active at least once in two days.  Is he alive and O'K (he is not a young boy)?
May be somebody has other possibilities to connect with him? If yes – please check!