Author Topic: Help with battery bank  (Read 1967 times)

solarnevo1

Help with battery bank
« on: November 01, 2010, 07:46:48 AM »
I have 24 V battery bank from fork lift. Each cell is 2 V. MIDAC cells... 2,13 V full charged 100% and 2,06 V half charged 50%. I made ghurd controler and I dont know when to triger dump load at what  voltage??? 25,60 V or 28,2 V?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 04:39:00 PM by TomW »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Help with batery bank
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 07:50:46 AM »
Higher than 28. It depends on what the proper equalize voltage is. A forklift battery is made to be churned a bit.

30v might be a good number as long as you don't mind watering on a regular basis.

All this assumes this is a flooded battery. If it's sealed then 28v is probably safe.

solarnevo1

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 07:59:16 AM »
it is flooded batery lead acid.

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 09:47:38 AM »
28.8 is the magic number i use for a flooded lead cell, that is at 77 degree's F
so it would be higher in a colder climate and lower of course if it is much hotter.

depends on where you are at, is it hot or cold there, is the room that houses the battery climate controlled to some extent
or is the battery out in an uncontrolled shed.

the above is for normal charging, equalization will likely be up to 30volts or possibly more, so long as the batteries don't go
over about 110 degree's F they should be ok in any case, other than having to add water.

the best advice is to contact the manufacture of the battery to see what they recommend for charging voltages at various temps
forklift batteries can be made with our without antimony or calcium and to various percentages of either, as well as the electrolyte
can be 1.250 to 1.265 depending on what they spec'd it with originally, all these things have an effect on charge voltages.

its always a good idea to check with the manufacture if possible to get their recommendation, contrary to popular belief they want their batteries to last as long as possible for the user, the battery market is a dog eat dog market, with low margins. they want their batteries to give the expected service or else the user will buy the competitors product  next time.

fwiw

bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

solarnevo1

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 03:45:19 PM »
Thanks I will charge them 28,5 it is middle. golden middle... he he