Author Topic: My Projects - Update Fall 2010  (Read 4419 times)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
My Projects - Update Fall 2010
« on: October 30, 2010, 02:12:36 AM »
I felt like making an update, because I've added and finished off quite a few things, but haven't mentioned them before:

http://www.sparweb.ca/Diary/Baldor+8footer_Installed3.jpg

This is my "Baldor" motor conversion installed on the tower, and the blades on.  The blades are only 8 feet so a little under-sized for the load of this motor/generator.  I deal with this with switches I show below.  I pulled an extra bundle wires through the tower, so now I have 6 power wires and two strands of Cat-3 phone cord for electronics.  No actual electronics up there yet...

The old turbine control box had become very crammed, and I found a much larger enclosure for my stuff.  A new much more tidy layout was possible.

http://www.sparweb.ca/6_Power/Wiring/Control_Box_s.jpg

http://www.sparweb.ca/6_Power/Wiring/Control_Box_inside_s.jpg

The rectifiers and bridges are on the left side, the 6 turbine wires come in the conduit on the left (I left a coil of wire at the bottom because I suspect I will want to move the control box location sometime).  Then it's all connections and bus-bars to keep stuff organized.  To make sense of it all I have a schematic, too:

http://www.sparweb.ca/6_Power/Wiring/System_2010Oct.gif

Updating this diagram I realized how much it's changed - sometimes I think "wow".  You can see that there's a new charge controller in there.  The Tristar TS-60 required a little learning curve - mostly getting used to the difference with the C40, not because they are incompatible or it's hard to use.  The two play together nicely, now that I have the settings just right.

The solar panels went up in February (it was warm last February, go figure) and they have proven to be the BIGGEST improvement for the summer / fall seasons.  There has been very little wind aside from storms for 4-5 months between May and Sept and the solar have topped up the batteries every single day.  Not that the power gets used much at all in the summer.  But they're definitely in fine condition for the heavier use this coming winter.  Winds are coming back so the turbine is starting to pull its own weight.

Now I did mention that the 8-foot blades are mis-matched to the generator.  I put in a Star-Jerry switch to get around that.  Most of the time I leave it in Star, which cuts-in at about 160 RPM, but the blades just can't get the speed up so they wallow about in stall.  So I rigged up this switch, see...  With 6 wires in the tower I can switch to JERRY and rectify the phases separately.  The cut-in speed for that is over 300 RPM but the power curve is very steep.  So when it's windy and the blades are kinda ticking away in Star, I flip the Jerry switch!  They immediately accelerate, and suddenly the ammeter jumps up over 10 amps.  It's a lot of fun watching the ammeter jump when I flip.  Look at the schematic diagram if you want to see how it works.

I don't leave the thing in Jerry because the cogging and start-up torque seems higher, so when the wind stops it simply won't start again until the next storm blows in.  In Star it's a bit easier for the 8-foot blades to get started (but they certainly aren't right) so there are opportunities to get power in lighter winds.  There is some slow progress on making a set of larger blades to better suit the generator.  But the past few months have been busy with many other projects so there are three glued blanks of cedar just waiting to go under the knife...
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Janne

• Turbiini
    • My image gallery
Re: My Projects - Update Fall 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 11:24:14 AM »
105 views, and no replies.. I guess people are just owerwhelmed by the quality of your system :) Nice work in every level.

That wiring schematic of the whole system & the extra wires going to the tower, they're a nice insurance policy to the future. Just in case..

I also buried an extra set of 4 control wires, when I made the connections for my axial mill. Of the 4 wires, all are currently in use, when at the time of burial I had no idea what i would do with them.

As for the blade matching, go forth with an mppt controller. That ought to keep you busy for a while, while keep it interesting :)
Nothing's as easy as drilling a hole in the wrong place

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 01:20:05 AM »
The best thing (for me) about posting a diary entry is not the hit count  :D   it's really to focus on what to do "next".  Without taking a moment to look back, it's hard to think clearly about what's ahead.

Got all this cedar sitting in the garage...   So today I finished the glue lamination of the third blade blank.  (sorry took a picture but it's buried in the camera with 100's of others). 
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 12:48:20 AM »
Woohoo.  Very windy this evening.   :o  Have just seen 1096Watts flash by on the PicLog.  Winds are maybe 60 kph gusting 80 at tower height (35/50 mph or 15/20 m/sec depending on preferences).  Not bad for an 8-footer!  I had it flipped to Parallel-Jerry, just about as low a winding resistance as possible so no wonder there's lots of amps coming.  Spinning too fast for my liking even in Star so I shut it down.  Satisfied.
www.sparweb.ca

bj

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 07:01:49 AM »
  Not bad indeed. Don't blame you for shutting it down either, it would be a shame to waste all the good/hard work.

"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 07:32:56 AM »
Sparweb,

I looked at your project right after you posted it and was very impressed.  Wish I knew how to draft up wiring schematics (or plumbing ones) like that!!

Tom Sullivan

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 02:02:16 PM »
Was a draftsman for a very long time.  Got squeezed into engineering but still run the CAD a lot.

I haven't gone over the data from last night, yet, but I expect some high RPM's so a tweak in furling may be in order.  There were a lot of 800-900W readings.  Safe enough for the motor-conversion according to the bench-tests I did in June.  It's the blades I don't want going so fast (>700 RPM?).  I have a big counter-weight to keep the tail down that can be reduced.

I haven't calibrated my shunt with loads over 20 Amps so I don't know how accurate the power readings are.
www.sparweb.ca