Author Topic: Mentor?  (Read 6748 times)

SpmP

Mentor?
« on: November 02, 2010, 05:54:23 PM »
Good Day all.
 I need to move on.
My current wind genny although fun and games simply doesn't cut it as a useful addition to the world of energy, thus this summer whilst minding the bubs, I want to go BIG (circa 10kW), and deviate from my beaten track.

Hence I am asking here if there is someone who could act as a mentor to me to guide me through the transition to... BIG.
 The reason I ask specifically for a mentor is not that this board is not amazingly functional as the hub of home wind, with all questions courtously answered with peer review etc, it is that the range of questions and things I will need to know I feel is going to be quite large, and I would rather not bog the list down with such stuff.

I would like to get as technical as time will allow. I have one more exam to go on friday before my 11 year undergrad in Mathematics and Phys is finished (ne bubs...), so, like most of you, Ime not scared of the numbers, more scared of no numbers *)

Thanks.

Jasper

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
Re: Mentor?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 07:21:50 PM »
This site has lots of mentors, just post questions and lots of them will answer, are you intending to build a machine or buy one, if you are building you will be on your own for a lot of stuff, there are guys here who have 20 foot or larger machines but not many.
A 20 foot machine may be in the neighborhood of 7-8kw, a real 10kw machine would need a rotor diameter on the order of 26 feet, a 10kw machine would also pretty much need to be a grid tie machine unless you want to buy a LOT of big batteries.
I would advise against the type of alternator generally built here, these stub axle machines with alternator offsets and gravity furling tails, have a limit and I'm pretty sure 10kw is over that.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

SpmP

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 07:31:48 PM »
This site has lots of mentors, just post questions and lots of them will answer, are you intending to build a machine or buy one, if you are building you will be on your own for a lot of stuff, there are guys here who have 20 foot or larger machines but not many.
A 20 foot machine may be in the neighborhood of 7-8kw, a real 10kw machine would need a rotor diameter on the order of 26 feet, a 10kw machine would also pretty much need to be a grid tie machine unless you want to buy a LOT of big batteries.
I would advise against the type of alternator generally built here, these stub axle machines with alternator offsets and gravity furling tails, have a limit and I'm pretty sure 10kw is over that.
  I was thinking of pos. two 5Kw (mechanical power at the hub) turbines mounted on a spar. ITs where Ive been heading with my small one anyway.

Its build and not buy. Can I build locally with price comparable to buying one in from China is the mission 8)

Poor neighbours they are already nervous of the 2m diam. machine 8)

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 08:06:24 PM »
Over on greenpowertalk.org there a several threads on the Chinese turbines, the general consensus seems to be they are mostly junk.
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

SpmP

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 09:00:51 PM »
Over on greenpowertalk.org there a several threads on the Chinese turbines, the general consensus seems to be they are mostly junk.
Cheers for the link. Wow what a can of unsuspecting worms you could open on yourself! Hence I want to make one at home. Still it is good to see sharing of experience with these things.

Wel.. with no mentoring ( 8(  ) I had better get the list of questions together. Sorry some of them will be silly. (And some may look like repeats... will try to keep them unique as pos)
 What is the best way to organise things to minimise posts/repeated info?

Jasper

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 09:35:23 PM »
# 1 What is your wind resource like.
# 2 What exactly do you expect from the machine
# 3 Will you be grid tying?
You need ask questions about the best most efficient way to build an alternator to fit these specs, I suspect a 220 volt may be a good choice, but realize you are getting into the area of commercial sized inverters meaning expensive.

Menelaos

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 06:39:06 AM »
For sure, if you are heading for a rotor diameter of more tha 6 meters, you are well adviced not to build with furling. Machines that big are no toys and due to their size the furling is pritty slow. Furthermore, if something goes wrong with the alternator, the blades will spin up and furling does not work at all anymore.

I would defenitively think about constructing a variable Pitch mechanism to limit RPM of the prop.
Also those big props have a lot of torque. I do not see the point of using an axial flux alternator. A smaller generator with lower resistance and gearing would do a lot better here.

Stator losses are lower as well as the price to purchase or build.
Max

SpmP

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 07:02:00 AM »
 v^3 average of 6.12ms^-1
 v average 4.89ms^-1
   at ~ 9m above sea level
 From Weibull distribution: k=1.9, c=5.5

#2 I am aiming at developing useful power at the average windspeed, rated power at the v^3 average. I am aiming at 10kW, prob. via two counter rotating 5kw machines downwind on a common pole, with tilt (and brake) furling.

#3 Not at this stage. No grid tie... Lucky me I happened apon a 5kW inverter... 160vdc bus (scary as hell) for 240v charging.  How would grid tying alter my requirement?

What is the best most efficient alternator to fit these specs?
Having been in the unfortunate position of having far to many F&P gens, I am fairly ignorant of Axial Flux generators.

I had imagined the design flow would go something like
Have wind speed, have o/p Power and Voltage
 Take profile Cp to figure out radius required for power at the hub,
Set TSR to get power from genny at that radius/windspeed.
 Iteratively jigger around until it all works.
Torque from the blades is something I have completely missed. Is this more a function of the profile?

Is there a Cp table for various blade profiles and construction material, and a recommendation or guide as to what profile for what condition. I have seen posts where its suggested to have a different profile at the root than at the tip for example.

I intend to use foam and fibreglass for the blades, with steel pipe  embedded  for the hub connection.

Menelaos, thank you. your post came just as I was sending this off.
 I was worried about such large blades and thier consequences, hence I was thinking two smaller machines.
I have never considered variable pitch blades. Alot of the chinese 10kW machines had some sort of `hammer' furling (sorry dont have the correct name). It looked very simple, is it effective?.
 What generator would you recommend. something that could be scavanged would be great.
 I assume this would simplify the blade/gen matching process as the gearbox can do alot of this.
 Any gearbox recomendations?

Thanks all.

Jasper

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 06:39:16 PM »
If you do come up with something that will make 10kw and hook it up to a 5kw inverter all the magic smoke will get out of it, my advice at this point would be for you to but the Dans book and read it a couple of times.
I'm not sure what you mean by counter rotating rotors on the same tower but I'm pretty sure it would be a bad idea, especially if you live somewhere that has any kind of zoning requirements, you would be hard pressed to find an engineer that would stamp a tower with two turbines on it.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 12:55:09 PM »
Hence I am asking here if there is someone who could act as a mentor to me to guide me through the transition to... BIG. The reason I ask specifically for a mentor is not that this board is not amazingly functional as the hub of home wind, with all questions courtously answered with peer review etc, it is that the range of questions and things I will need to know I feel is going to be quite large, and I would rather not bog the list down with such stuff.
Jasper

I wonder if you realize that there's a large scope to what you're asking.  You're basically asking to hire professional expertise.  I'd start the bidding at 65,000 USD per year.  I'd also ask for a travel budget and per-diems away from home - unless some other member starts bidding me down.  Estimated completion date, December 2012.  I'll require shop facilities, too (detailed list of tools later).

Yes, I'm kidding...  on a forum we do this for free because we don't have to commit beyond the questions being asked.  Since you want much more commitment, I thought I'd put it in perspective.  I do appreciate your ambition, though.

TANSTAAFL
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 02:16:13 PM »
#2 I am aiming at developing useful power at the average windspeed, rated power at the v^3 average. I am aiming at 10kW, prob. via two counter rotating 5kw machines downwind on a common pole, with tilt (and brake) furling.

I think you're asking the wrong people here if this is what you intend to do.

I'd suggest contacting these people:
http://www.windturbine.net/

They don't make the old Twin 5 Jakes anymore.  But they probably know where you can buy one of those old twin towers with a couple 5 kW Jakes on it that need repair.  In fact I know where one is up in Michigan but you'd need a crane to take it down and in the 30 years it's been standing there you now need a bulldozer to make a road to get the crane to the tower.

Good luck on your project.
--
Chris

SpmP

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 02:45:36 PM »

I wonder if you realize that there's a large scope to what you're asking.  You're basically asking to hire professional expertise.  I'd start the bidding at 65,000 USD per year.  I'd also ask for a travel budget and per-diems away from home - unless some other member starts bidding me down.  Estimated completion date, December 2012.  I'll require shop facilities, too (detailed list of tools later).

Yes, I'm kidding...  on a forum we do this for free because we don't have to commit beyond the questions being asked.  Since you want much more commitment, I thought I'd put it in perspective.  I do appreciate your ambition, though.

TANSTAAFL
;D
 So Ille start saving! I think the distance charge is a little steep, but the rest seems fair. You will need to talk to the union about lunch.

Thanks for the perspective. Yes I guess your right (esp. the time frame!). It is an ambitions aim, and the scope of a lot is currently outside my view, but i dont think its outside my ability.  I need a serious turbine, and would much rather build one than fiddle forever getting a Chinese one to do the most basic stuff.

Chris, why are you the wrong people? THanks for the thought on the tower, but then theres  sea freight to the other side of the world 8) (Ahh bring on summer). Exam in two hours... gtg

Jasper

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 09:40:40 PM »
Shipping on a 16m hydraulic tilt up tower from Shenzou China to Chicago is 550 bux.

poco dinero

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 10:04:09 AM »
Posted on: November 02, 2010, 05:31:48 PMPosted by: SpmP 

Hopefully I'm in the process of dispelling this notion that Chinese turbines are junk.  I have two chinese exmork 2 kw wind turbines flying on 56 foot towers.  They have only been up for about five months now, but have performed admirably so far.  At this point only time will tell.

I also have an exmork 5 kw waiting in the wings, will install it as soon as I have time.  If I like it I'm going to install a second 5 kw on the other tower.  They are sooooo inexpensive, can't pass 'em up.

My only complaint with the exmork 2 kw machines is that they want to work too hard.  They don't start to engage their rotor speed control until the wind hits about 45-50 mph, at which time they are putting out about 3800 watts each.  I don't want to push them that hard, so I'm going to modify them by adding a small vane sticking out from the alternator, which will (I hope) help the rotor thrust push the rotor into the "furled" position.  I got this idea from Flux, who posted on this forum that a small vane sticking out was used to furl wind turbines before somebody got the bright idea of using rotor thrust to induce furling.  The 2 kw exmork machines have a 12 1/2 foot diameter rotor, and only about 3 inches of offset, so this added vane should have the same effect as increasing their offset.  I want to get them to start reducing their output at a wind speed of about 35-40 mph.  Even though they only cost $585 each, shipped into Los Angeles, and would be cheap to replace, I want them to last.

Most of the negative comments I've read about chinese wind turbines  on this forum seem to have come from people who seem to have no direct experience with them.  I would sure like to see some comments from people who do have actual hands-on experience.

poco

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 02:57:09 PM »
Did you forget the pictures I sent a few months ago?  (Did you GET the pictures I sent a few months ago?)
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

SpmP

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 06:23:08 PM »
For sure, if you are heading for a rotor diameter of more tha 6 meters, you are well adviced not to build with furling. Machines that big are no toys and due to their size the furling is pritty slow. Furthermore, if something goes wrong with the alternator, the blades will spin up and furling does not work at all anymore.

I would defenitively think about constructing a variable Pitch mechanism to limit RPM of the prop.
Also those big props have a lot of torque. I do not see the point of using an axial flux alternator. A smaller generator with lower resistance and gearing would do a lot better here.

Stator losses are lower as well as the price to purchase or build.
Max
What are (or where can I find info on..) the practical limits of Axial flux, and the whys of it all. Is the alternative 3phase squirrel cage induction? Ive seen a few posts on converting these to permanent magnet is this necessary/advantageous.
 Again, what drives this design decision, and what parameters do we start looking for in the alternative generator?

Thanks.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »

Hopefully I'm in the process of dispelling this notion that Chinese turbines are junk.  I have two chinese exmork 2 kw wind turbines flying on 56 foot towers.  They have only been up for about five months now, but have performed admirably so far.  At this point only time will tell.

I also have an exmork 5 kw waiting in the wings, will install it as soon as I have time.  If I like it I'm going to install a second 5 kw on the other tower.  They are sooooo inexpensive, can't pass 'em up.

My only complaint with the exmork 2 kw machines is that they want to work too hard.  They don't start to engage their rotor speed control until the wind hits about 45-50 mph, at which time they are putting out about 3800 watts each.  I don't want to push them that hard, so I'm going to modify them by adding a small vane sticking out from the alternator, which will (I hope) help the rotor thrust push the rotor into the "furled" position.  I got this idea from Flux, who posted on this forum that a small vane sticking out was used to furl wind turbines before somebody got the bright idea of using rotor thrust to induce furling.  The 2 kw exmork machines have a 12 1/2 foot diameter rotor, and only about 3 inches of offset, so this added vane should have the same effect as increasing their offset.  I want to get them to start reducing their output at a wind speed of about 35-40 mph.  Even though they only cost $585 each, shipped into Los Angeles, and would be cheap to replace, I want them to last.

Most of the negative comments I've read about chinese wind turbines  on this forum seem to have come from people who seem to have no direct experience with them.  I would sure like to see some comments from people who do have actual hands-on experience.

poco

Jerry, I should have qualified that statement, that sweeping generalization was not fair, the SWG turbines are getting all the bad reviews.

poco dinero

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 08:09:16 PM »
Can I build locally with price comparable to buying one in from China is the mission  

Unless you get a lot of stuff for free, and only pay yourself 10 cents per hour for your labor, you can't compete.  On the other hand, building a wind turbine yourself is a rewarding endeaver that you cannot place a price on.   This is just my opinion, based on building one and buying three.  Others may have different thoughts on the subject.

Posted on: November 05, 2010, 12:57:09 PMPosted by: SparWeb  

Did you forget the pictures I sent a few months ago?  (Did you GET the pictures I sent a few months ago?)

No, I haven't forgotten those pictures, but it's true that I only found them and my other PMs about two months ago.  I've been meaning to thank you for the pictures and also respond with a few thoughts of my own.  I wish you would post those pictures so that everybody on the forum could see them, but I understand and respect your reason for not posting them.

For the benefit of other readers who haven't seen the pictures, they showed a 5 kw Exmork wind turbine still mounted at the top of its tower, with its tail boom lying on the ground, and all three of its rotor blades busted in half.  The inner halves of the blades were still mounted on the wind turbine rotor hub, and the outer half of each blade was lying on the ground, in close proximity to the tail, at the base of the tower.  There was no picture showing where the detached parts had landed originally.

My analysis of that failure is that it was caused by faulty installation and lack of proper maintenance.  The manufacturer Exmork was also partly to blame.  Here's how I arrived at that conclusion.

There are six 14 mm diameter Allen head capscrews that bolt the tail boom to the alternator housing casting.  These bolts are approximatelu 2 1/2 inches long, and they are arranged in an approximately elliptical bolt pattern of approximately 4 inches by 6 inches size.  Although Exmork furnished the bolts and FLAT washers with the turbine, they INCREDIBLY did not furnish LOCK washers.  (This was the case with my three Exmork wind turbines, so I feel fairly confident that it was also true with the 5 kw in the pictures).  It appears that the installer who installed the tail boom on the failed 5 kw apparently didn't have enough mechanical savvy to realize that those cap screws needed lock washers.  After four, maybe five of the cap screws vibrated loose or maybe even fell completely out, the remaining cap screw(s) snapped in the storm that wrecked the turbine.  If you look closely at the pictures you can still see one broken cap screw sticking out of the alternator casting.  Had all six of those cap screws remained tightly fastened, there is NO WAY that the tail boom would have come off.  Even as few as four of them would hold it in anything less than a Category 5 hurricane.

After the tail boom came loose, it swung into the path of the rotor blades and broke all three of them.

I do partially blame Exmork for not providing lock washers.  Further to their discredit, they also did not provide lock washers for the bolts that are used to assemble the rotor blades onto the rotor hub.  And lastly, the "Jesus" nut that holds the rotor hub onto the tapered alternator shaft was provided with a flat washer, but no lock washer.  And it was just a plain nut, not a castellated nut.  There was no hole drilled in the shaft for a cotter pin.  These inexcusable omissions undoubtedly contributed to this wind turbine failure.  However, any mechanic worthy of the name should have caught them during the installation process.  I believe primary blame is on the installer.

Proper maintenance procedures could also have prevented this tragedy.  The wind turbine should have been lowered after six months and somebody should have checked all the bolts.  People still think they can raise 'em and forget 'em.  Taint so with wind turbines, as anybody who has read the Dan's book would know.

poco

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 08:56:32 PM »
Well, for that matter you could do a search here and find any number of similar failures built right here by forum members, that is not to say actual commercial turbines sold to the general public should not be held to a higher standard, but just for what it's worth.
You can also do a simple google search and find lots of multi million dollar turbines built by companies like Vestas, utility grade machines in various stages of catastrophic failure modes, from governor failure and eventual runaway and total destruction of tower and turbine to catastrophic electrical failure and total destruction by fire.
Turbines is machines, if you can't handle maintenance of a machine you got no business having a turbine, unless you are wealthy enough to have pros come out and service it every two months or so.

SpmP

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 09:02:22 PM »
Can I build locally with price comparable to buying one in from China is the mission  

Unless you get a lot of stuff for free, and only pay yourself 10 cents per hour for your labor, you can't compete.  On the other hand, building a wind turbine yourself is a rewarding endeaver that you cannot place a price on.   This is just my opinion, based on building one and buying three.  Others may have different thoughts on the subject.
   ;D yea its the reward factor, and that when I forget to use a castle nut its all my fault. So if I give myself 5c an hour, maybe I can make a profit  :P

I'm having a pretty terrible experience with a chinese (I should qualify this... as `Chinese' is made to whatever spec is given them), a CRAP chinese hot water cylinder sold to me as if it could take pressure... which it cant. Polyurethane sealant to the rescue! (Hopefully)... fingers crossed.

Our local `Wind Flow' had a blade come off their first turbine. IT can happen to us all. Ive had all 5 ripped of by the wind. So much fun all this. I bet the Big engineers get just as much a kick out of destruction testing...

97fishmt

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 09:22:59 PM »
Hi,

This is why the advice form most folks is to build a small
turbine and be successful with it.  And then move on to a
larger one with the knowledge you have gained from what
worked and what didn't on the smaller turbine.

It's easy to see how things work when it's working
correctly.  So scaling it up from a smaller machine
also means beefing everything up.

The education is in doing it, and trying out your ideas
to come up with a masterpiece.  They are art when
you get it right. :)

Mike

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 10:20:47 AM »
There is a lot of experience on this board and I hope you can weed through those who only talk the talk instead of walking the walk besides. First of all there is a small percentage (that we are aware of here on this board) who have built 20' or larger. Locate those who have and or tried and listen to their ideas, thoughts and suggestions. Others who tell you what will not work for a size they have no experience with are only guessing. Sure, there are issues with any design but go with the odds. Bergey Excel 10K is 20+ diameter, fuling tail. How many are out there and how long have these been running ? They have a battery charging version of this also. Dave B.
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
Bergey Excel 10K is 20+ diameter, fuling tail. How many are out there and how long have these been running ?

It should be pointed out, though, that the Bergey's Powerflex rotor incorporates blade pitching technology.  And it's controller unloads the generator and rotor in normal operation.  The Powerflex blades on the Bergey are rated to run unloaded at up to 118 mph wind speed, IIRC.

The furling mechanism on the Bergey Excel is only there to protect the generator from excessive output when the controller has the machine loaded.  When the controller unloads the machine, even in extremely high winds, it unfurls, faces back into the wind and free-spins at speeds no homebrew turbine could ever take.
--
Chris

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 08:40:05 PM »
If at somepoint someone decides to take the variable pitch "leap" with these axial flux alternators, use a hydralic actuator to control pitch settings. Most likely the rotor hub would become the most expensive part over-night. When one considers "ultimate cost" and payback time, seasonal averages (wind trends) will more than stabilize cost averages.

It's the same argument as fuel shipping costs and/vs end user economy..

JW

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 12:12:41 AM »
Thank you Chris, my point exactly. Bergey has engineered their system for their components. I wasn't trying to compare apples to oranges but rather just stating that anything can be done. Dave B.

Bergey Excel 10K is 20+ diameter, fuling tail. How many are out there and how long have these been running ?

It should be pointed out, though, that the Bergey's Powerflex rotor incorporates blade pitching technology.  And it's controller unloads the generator and rotor in normal operation.  The Powerflex blades on the Bergey are rated to run unloaded at up to 118 mph wind speed, IIRC.

The furling mechanism on the Bergey Excel is only there to protect the generator from excessive output when the controller has the machine loaded.  When the controller unloads the machine, even in extremely high winds, it unfurls, faces back into the wind and free-spins at speeds no homebrew turbine could ever take.
--
Chris
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 07:51:45 AM »
Thank you Chris, my point exactly. Bergey has engineered their system for their components. I wasn't trying to compare apples to oranges but rather just stating that anything can be done. Dave B.

Hi Dave - indeed Bergey's system has withstood the test of time.  However, the Bergey Excel is not a real quiet machine when it's running unloaded.  Sometime in mid-production since 1986 Bergey changed tha airfoil on their blades to make it run quieter.  It helped a little but it's still a very noisy machine when it's unloaded.  And it has a winch at the base of the tower to crank its tail around so it doesn't run that fast in high winds.

That's one type of system used on turbines of the scale being talked about here.

Then, of course, there's the Jacobs which is the most successful small wind turbine of all recorded time.  The Jake is not "small" at 32 feet diameter and 20 kW output.  But it uses a Woodward prop governor to control rotational speed, plus a furling tail that's spring loaded both directions, the furling action created by torque on the gearbox.  And it has a mechanical disc brake in it.  I have some videos of a Jacobs 31-20 running in quite high winds and they are very impressive (and very durable) machines.

I myself have toyed with building a large turbine.  But when I studied the systems used by the two "Big Boys" in small wind it became apparent to me that I could not build one that has the same reliability level as Jacobs or a Bergey Excel.  In our area here we get winds over 80 mph at least once a year, it gets down to -30 F in the winter time, and I depend on my turbines for primary power.  So I decided the best option would be to buy a Jacobs instead of trying to build one.

This thread sounds rather far out to me - just another turbine concept that will never be built because those of us who have built them know it's not practical.
--
Chris

clintonbriley

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 06:53:11 PM »
So I decided the best option would be to buy a Jacobs instead of trying to build one.

The Jacobs you are referring to are grid tie only right Chris?
Clint

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 07:00:30 PM »

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2010, 07:06:31 PM »
The Jacobs you are referring to are grid tie only right Chris?

The UL508 inverter for the Jake is the same as what I have on my solar array.  It's designed for grid tie - we have it tied to our genset service, which is our "grid".
--
Chris