Author Topic: Best time to water...  (Read 2285 times)

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
Best time to water...
« on: October 03, 2010, 09:37:16 AM »
Hey all...

I apologize if this has already been covered somewhere, but I'm still learning the new layout, so work with me here ;)

After learning a rather expensive lesson a couple years ago about watering, the question recently came up... When is the best time to water?

The last time I watered was during an equalization, theorizing that the turbulence caused by the vigorous bubbling would help reduce the chances of striation.

Am I far off here?

Steve
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

madlabs

Re: Best time to water...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 10:39:27 AM »
Well, I can't really say what is best. I can say that what I have been doing is what you suggest, when I see that I need to add water, I equalize afterwards.

Jonathan

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 08:58:57 PM »
Everything I've read says after equalization after the batteries have had chance to settle down.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

B529

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 10:18:51 AM »
During your EQ cycle only. EQ for a couple hours, shut off your charging source, add water, turn back on your charging source, EQ for another hour or two.

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 12:20:10 PM »
I can tell you when NOT to fill-up, top off with water... when batteries are COLD.

Start trickle charging if plates are covered, you really want 15-25% of the 'reserve between add-fill limits' present before starting a high rate charge - but if you top off cold batteries, once everything warms up and expands, the chances are good you'll have electrolyte overflowing by the time the charge is finishing.

Spot check them again if you wind up cooking the batteries and they are actively bubbling - once you have them warm & 80 or 90% charged you can top them off, and when equalizing you need to monitor them again.

If you're in a place that is very humid you might not loose much, if relative humidity is very low they could get thirsty.

I think you need to worry about stratification only if you can't warm the batteries up - sitting on cold concrete and only having ability to do a low-rate charge comes to mind.

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 12:19:05 PM »
Makes sense... thanks for the input. I am determined to get the most out of these things from here out. Replacing batteries every few years really gets old, not to mention expensive. :-[
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !