Author Topic: Passive solar heating - small scale.  (Read 1999 times)

gotwind2

• ben[at]gotwind.org
    • Gotwind - The Renewable Energy Resource
Passive solar heating - small scale.
« on: October 30, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
As winter is drawing in, I thought I would take a look at passive solar heating.
This may be over simplistic, rather than insulate an external 'box' and pump warm air in (as with the blackened soda can idea) I decided to just have an alluminium sheet painted matt (flat) black behind the double glazed window.

The panel absorbs the solar radiation and then simply radiates any heat into the room - well thats how I see it  :-\
Admitedly the amount of heat is small, but if every south facing window in a home had a similar 'panel' it may help some.

Thought I would toss the idea out for discussion, It's very cheap..

gotwind2

• ben[at]gotwind.org
    • Gotwind - The Renewable Energy Resource
Re: Passive solar heating - small scale.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 04:50:17 PM »
Another thought.
Maybe in an unused room or shed/cabin, the whole (double glazed) window could have a sheet of blackened alluminium covering the window and sealed.
And a 1.5w solar panel could provide power to a muffin fan (PC brushless fan) to extract the heated air to keep the damp out.

Might be an idea for RV's also.

Just thinking out loud really  :)

TimS

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 06:24:40 PM »
So simple.  I like simple.

GoVertical

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 10:36:10 AM »
Greetings, great idea. Is there away you could increase the surface area. I am going to try a louver blind configuration and maybe add a Fresnel lens.  I think your idea has real merit. You use the house as the insulated box, you do not have to run any cold or hot air vents. The heat is just released into the house. You save on material cost. Brilliant! I don't see a down side. Thank you.
Learn from the past, live in the present, plan for the future
kilroyOdin is not here ;)
SEMPER FEROX

hydrosun

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 05:47:17 PM »
I don't see where you gain anything from having the dark object in the window . That places the heat close to the window and conducting the heat out. By keeping things light colored the light is reflected into the room and absorbed and radiated further away from the window. Little of the light is reflected back out the window. The angles of bounce are into the room. The reason people add exterior glassed areas and duct heat into a house is to increase the capture area.  Your method uses the same window area so there can be no gain, only more heat losses out the window.
Chris