Author Topic: A different approach to windmill control.  (Read 1950 times)

gizmo

• The Back Shed
A different approach to windmill control.
« on: May 09, 2012, 10:05:24 PM »
This was posted on my forum and I thought I would share it with this forum. Build by Phill, Pete and Gordon, its a windmill controller that uses liquid resistors.

Its a very sophisticated set up, but there may be a few idea's in there that members could use for their own windmills.

Basically its a system that monitors several sensors, like RPM, stator temperature, etc, and uses this data to control a liquid resistor. The system will regulate or shut down the windmill if the RPM is too high, stator gets too warm, etc. And its even set up so Phill can access the controller with his mobile phone and shut down the windmill remotely, like if there is a storm front approaching.

The bit I find most interesting is the liquid resistor, basically a servo controlled set of stainless steel plates that move up and down in a small salty water tank. It gives very precise and quick control of the dump current.

http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4940&PN=1

Like I said there is a bunch of clever idea's working together in the system and members might get a few idea's for their own projects.

Glenn