Author Topic: What do you get when you mix Ghurd with Olsen? ..another dump system.  (Read 2606 times)

drew4justice

Four parts: Hacked up metal enclosure (motor control box?), Aubry multi function unit (originally purchased a hall effect to be used as a tachometer with axial flux machine never flown), Ghurd controller,  contactor ala Oslen style.

Aubry setup as countdown timer closing internal relay upon RESET signal.  Output relay within Aubry closed during 'reset' (+5v) accomplished by shorting 'reset' terminal to 'com' (ground) via ghurd control set at 29.8V (4 Tojan T105's in series @ 24VDC).  Precautiously inserted half megohm electron resistor in series (for her pleasure) from the Aubry reset (+5v) pin to to drain leg of FET and grounded FET source leg at common terminal on Aubry to limit current draw.

The countdown timer closes a relay integrated within which closes a circuit and is wired to send 24VDC to a heavy duty Olsenite contactor.  Contactor coil is then energized and closes normally open contacts to complete AC circuit from inverter through AC outlet, returning electrons to ground.  Actually, I believe in theory the electrons flow in reverse.  AC load turns on and consumes cosumes power.

Simply, ghurd sends logic, aubry counts, relay closes energizing contactor, load activates.  If ghurd sends logic DURING countdown, aubry resets and begins from set value avoiding relay chatter, keeping load energized.

Nothing is mounted for safety yet.  Is good?

Below: Aubry display with LED feedback.  Bottom number is preset "on time" value.  Top number will populate with bottom number during trigger and count down to zero.

Below left: Aubry.  Strapped to Aubry = ghurd control.  Upper right: FET on heat sink (heatsink prolly not necessary), lower center: contactor.  Lower right, outlet in series.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:26:03 PM by drew4justice »

OperaHouse

I always look at pictures first and thought you were using a FUGI temperature controller knockoff and not a timer.    Just wanted to mention that these temperature controllers would make a great dump load controller.  With a voltage divider even the thermocouple only input can be converted to display volts and the fuzzy logic would do a nice job of controlling some dump fets if controller had DC out.  I can find these now and then on ebay for only $20 shipped.  I used two of these on a friends argon co2 gas mixer for monitor and alarm.  Sure saved a lot of breadboarding.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Looks Great!
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

drew4justice

Thanks!

I do have a correction.  I wrote that it was an Aubry timer.  That is wrong.  It is an Auber timer.  It was $34.50.
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=115

Drew