Author Topic: Wind & solar power distribution center, just supply the turbine & panels  (Read 3159 times)

Beaufort

OK, technically this is a commercial post for a company I'm associated with.  Mods, please correct or delete if it doesn't meet standards but I felt this is something the home-built community may benefit from.  If nothing else, maybe it will provide some ideas.

The product is a power distribution box for portable wind & solar; this contains everything typically found nailed to a piece of plywood next to your circuit breakers.  We've taken all those components and packaged it into a vented, weatherproof box.  For the homebuilt crowd, you can build a wind turbine using the plans provided by the owners of this site and simply plug the cable into this box.  With the included inverter, your 110VAC comes out of the other side of the box.  This is meant to be used off-grid and includes a battery bank plug.  All cables are terminated with plugs, allowing the system to be transported for weekends up to the cabin/caravan/boat.  Here is what's included:

• Double NEMA 3R fiberglass enclosure, latching front and lift-off back
  • Removable legs, ball and detent requires no tools
  • Battery port:  In-use enclosure, pair of 75A rated Anderson Powerpole connectors
  • Wind/Solar port:  In-use enclosure, GFCI outlet grounded to inverter, floating neutral
  • Clear deadfront panel
  • DC-rated circuit breakers:  15A solar, 50A wind, 60A Charge Controller, 60A Battery, 60A inverter
  • Inverter:  Wagan 700W continuous, 1800 peak, modified sine-wave (some appliances may not work or be damaged by a modified sine wave including some refrigerators, freezers, dehumidifiers, or other phased motor appliances.  Check with the manufacturer before buying).
  • Morningstar/Tristar TS-45 charge controller
  • Pair of 300W, 0.8 ohm power resistors wired for dump load
  • Cooling fan

Options for the box include battery monitors to see power flowing from the battery bank and power flowing to it.  We're using a pair of Watt's Up meters for this and they're working quite well at the lower power level for this system. We are also using a battery box from Minn Kota that includes a battery monitor, fuses, and 12VDC car adapter sockets.  2-3 of these boxes makes a manageable battery bank for a small cabin in a good wind area (about 300 Ah).

The benefits for such a system include:
1)  All the technical work has been done for those not comfortable with electronics or power
2)  The self-contained system can be located in an out-building and not in the main residence; this may have electrical code/insurance benefits for some individuals
3)  Having a portable system allows the owner to take the system when moving, ensuring payback for their investment instead of leaving it for someone else

We're offering these online at www.electricpinwheels.com/Juice_Box.html

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Wind & solar power distribution center, just supply the turbine & panels
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 01:55:04 PM »
Golly that is an expensive bit of gear.

I do not see  any warranty information?

How long have they been producing these?

How many have been in service and for how long?

No, it is not generally acceptable to pimp for 3rd parties here but I will leave it at that.

Classifieds are for users to sell their stuff.

Just my first thoughts.

Might be useful to someone with deep pockets.

Tom

Beaufort

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 03:00:47 PM »
Hi Tom, Dan's forum guidelines says "Commercial operations can post classified ads- ONCE for each individual item"....So I guess this will be the only listing for one of the boxes.  I'm making these myself after seeing that nobody offers a turn-key package line this.  I was more interested in experimenting with blades and alternator matching and wanted a safe, portable box that was plug-and-play.  So I developed it and began selling them through EP.

The warranty is 1 year, mfg. warranty applies to the commercial components.
We just launched these in October and are shipping now.  We've had the prototype in use for about a year.  It's been tested for thermal concerns and taken around to several different sites as part of our demos.  It's pretty nice to be able to not mess around with screwdrivers and wiring when taking stuff around, so the price premium is focused around portability and ease-of-use.  If someone is just putting wind/solar into their home, doesn't need it to travel, and has the technical expertise to do it all themselves....this is more expensive (agreed!). 

Thanks for tolerating the posting; I'm less concerned about the commercial aspect of this compared to providing people a safe and easy alternative if they just want to build a wind turbine and use power from it.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 04:49:54 PM »
Fair enough.

Hope it is a success.

Really.

Tom