Author Topic: stator with lamination sheets  (Read 1049 times)

GreenTeam

stator with lamination sheets
« on: December 19, 2020, 02:28:27 AM »
I havent created my current project stator yet, because I am at a loss as how to build it with some lamination sheets.
I want to give this a try and see the results, whether it will be an avenue to continue, or abandon. My stator is going to be 5mm thick,
which, ironically, is the width of the hoverboard motor poles excluding the stator shoes. I think I can somehow cut them very finely with out
them developing jagged lines, but, how?
What tool? I dont really have many, a dremel, some wire clippers thats about it.
And, not sure if I am doing sheets in the coil holes or holes plus around the coils.
The stator is very low on real estate as it is,

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: stator with lamination sheets
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 11:35:47 AM »
I guess by now you're seen what Mbouwer is doing - not perfect but also not beyond reason.

There are several reasons the "Hugh Piggott" style alternators kept people away from iron laminations in the stator.  One is the cost but it's just as important to face the extra tools needed and performance penalty when not built MUCH MORE carefully.  The simplest deviations cause resistance and heating that builds up, and it demands tools that most builders wouldn't normally have.

You're right to start by looking at the tools you have.  Do you want to get a steel shear?  Punch and die set?  Nibblers?  None of this is cheap and has only specific uses.  You could also do a deep dive into "how it's made" kinds of subjects to see how motors are built and how they work to get an idea where the difficulties lie.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

GreenTeam

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 05:30:42 PM »
Those are very very good pointers and thank you . As for the tooling, im still looking. And for pricing , my next purchase I'm really hoping to be something like a 7x14 micro lathe for creating rotors, axles , mounting hubs etc.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 08:15:13 PM »
Yer welcome.

If buying a mini-lathe:
https://youtu.be/znZgT3Zmf5Y
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 03:48:35 PM »
I have designed, built and measured a small 8-pole axial flux PM-generator with only one armature sheet with magnets and a steel stator sheet with six coils. There is no iron in the coils and therefore the sticking torque isn't fluctuating. The maximum efficiency isn't very high but the maximum power is much higher than for a hub dynamo. The generator is very simple and makes use of a bicycle hub. The design and the measurements are given in my free public report KD 679.

GreenTeam

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 10:02:18 PM »
Can you explain how torque is an issue with an alternator please?
Are you saying you build an alternator aka generator and than run it as a motor
for a benchmark?
Why would this be if so?
ANd
If not, than why is torque even in the equation?

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 05:10:07 AM »
Can you explain how torque is an issue with an alternator please?
Are you saying you build an alternator aka generator and than run it as a motor
for a benchmark?
Why would this be if so?
ANd
If not, than why is torque even in the equation?

I doubt if I understand your questions correctly. In my public report KD 378, "Basic knowledge about electrical, chemical, mechanical, potential and kinetic energy to understand literature about the generation of energy by small windmills", I have explained five different kinds of energy which are used in wind turbines. You should study this report and try to find the correct answers on the questions given at the end of each chapter. So one is mechanical energy and one is electrical energy. In a generator, mechanical energy is transformed into electrical energy. If you take the energy per second, you can say that mechanical power Pmech is transformed in electrical power Pel. However, every generator has a certain efficiency eff because some power is lost, mostly because of heat in the winding and the stator stamping. Therefore it is valid that Pel = eff * Pmech.

The mechanical power is given by: Pmech = Q * omega. Q is the torque in Nm. Omega is the angular velocity in rad/s. The electrical power is given by: Pel = U * I (for direct current).  U is the voltage in V. I is the current in A. So the relation in between the electrical power which comes out and the mechanical power which goes in is: U * I = eff * Q * omega.

The angular velocity omega in rad/s can be transformed into the rotational speed in rpm by the formula omega = pi * n / 30 or n = 30 omega / pi. So if you do so, you get:
U * I = eff * Q * pi * n / 30. If you measure a generator, you will see that the current I will increase about proportional to Q and that the voltage U will increase about proportional to n.

If you use the generator as a motor, you get the same formulas except that the efficiency is at the other side. So now Pmech = eff * Pel. So now it is valid that Q * pi * n / 30 = eff * U * I.