Author Topic: Good thing I ordered more than one dump controller...  (Read 2720 times)

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
Good thing I ordered more than one dump controller...
« on: December 07, 2010, 09:37:14 PM »
Tonight, I got a call from my step-dad, he knew of the location of two 30W solar panels... Guess it's a good thing that I don't intend to use my first build of ghurd's controller in anything but the 8W panel's system (which today proved to work flawlessly!). Handles the 8 watts great. But these units are a bit more ballsy... well, one is anyway:

The good panel. Appears to put out proper voltage, although that whole moon reflection thing gave me nothing. 3MCP HID showed promise for it being usable. We will see tomorrow. :)

The 'bad' panel. There is one cell (and part of another) that has been exposed to some kind of corrosion (likely salt water given that they came from yachts). Such a shame. Good news is, the other half of it can be wired independently albeit at a cut in output; 6V nominal. :(

The bad cell(s) up close and personal. The damage is pretty much permanent; the way these panels are designed is without a removable glazing, so I can't even get to the individual cells to bypass it. :(

But free isn't bad! They are rated at 21W nominal ea, 30W peak. The damaged one of course half that. But I'm mastering the art of buck/boost circuitry. It wont take me long hahaha....

Steve
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Good thing I ordered more than one dump controller...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 07:25:55 AM »
Is that a name brand panel?  GE maybe?
It may still be under warranty.

If not, might try peeling off the Tedlar (sp?).
The stuff under it is often the consistiency of hot glue.
A small cup shaped chisel can slowly dig throught it to get to the connections.  Go very slow.
Looks like you will need to bypass 2 cells.
I never had very high percentage of good luck with it.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Madscientist267

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 04:39:20 PM »
Unfortunately, they're some off-name brand... "Automatic Power Inc"...

But, good call on the bypass. I was beside myself trying to figure out how I could rescue the other half of the panel before you clued me in on how one might go about doing it.

I cut small slits in the back side and shunted across the 2 bad cells. There was a tiny bit of damage to the one adjacent to the 'better' of the damaged ones, but that would have meant bypassing 4 cells instead of 2.

I chanced it, and it worked out just fine. It passes the same current as the other panel, albeit at a cost of 1V OTV. So what... I'm designing a buck converter (as a cheaper alternative to MPPT) and have good results so far with my 'lite' version of the circuit.

The patch job. Figured this was the safest way to go about it.

The panels side-by-side tied in series. Collectively they produce ~39V OTV @ ~1.8A Isc. 'Bout 70W by that method, approaching 10x the output of my first real panel (8W).

Real world output looks like they will be closer to about 50W, via the buck converter. My test version has significant current limiting (~800mA out, pulling ~300mA from the panels), but this was probably a good idea. Not bad for a cheapy cell phone charger tweaked to push out 14.4 instead of 5V. It's based on the 34063A chip. Dead simple, and efficient even on it's own (with no external driver transistors, it's supposedly good up to 1.5A output according to the datasheet.)

My intent is to drive 2 44Ns in tandem with 2 toroids, as I have a few of those TO-220 10A+10A dual Schottky diodes hanging around. At those power levels, I probably won't need even the first heat sink for anything. We will see.

Thanks again G, I humbly bow to the master  ;D

Steve 

Madscientist267

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 12:54:34 AM »
I've carried this one on to the next level, the buck converter that is going to maximize my usable power from them...

http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,144628.0.html

Enjoy!

Steve