Author Topic: What do you do when your turbine is done  (Read 9280 times)

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
What do you do when your turbine is done
« on: November 30, 2010, 04:00:42 PM »
Can't let any dust settle on the boots, so started my next project.  Not truely RE, but sure is getting back to nature stuff anyway.  It's going to be relocated at my lake front property when done.  Size is 28' x 32', with 3 courses done (12 logs) and I'm 4' high.  Log 13 in the back is getting set for pre-notches, then final scribing and cutting.

We're having fun.

Tom

jlt

Re: What do you do when your turbine is done
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 06:51:39 PM »
Looks great .please keep us informed ,as you build. I always wanted to try one my self.S o please more pictures.

bj

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 11:08:27 PM »
   Bout 900 SF?  Should be really nice.  You have interesting ways of relieving boredom.  Good luck with the build.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 08:28:29 AM »
You have interesting ways of relieving boredom.

Sounds like WAY too much coffee to me!

Have fun with it.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 03:34:19 PM »
nice logs for building. looks like a good project to keep a person busy. Are you going to trailer it in two pieces or take it apart and reassemble at the new site? 
MntMnROY 13

riahserf

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 03:51:10 PM »
Looks GREAT!! I've built one myself... (though not from scratch). Wish this sight was around back then.... (heck, even a computer lol)

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 08:30:11 AM »
   The logs came off my property.  A lot of them were not the straightest, so the doorways were decided before the build started to enable me to "straighten" those crooked ones by cutting them at the doorways.  The current course, at the gable ends (where the door openings are), are full length logs so I now have the gable walls tied to the corners.  I built a cabin back in the 80's for my dad as a camp, but used a rather crude method adopted from an old, but reputable, log builder.  This time I wanted to get away from chinking, so attended a 10 day log building course at the Great Lakes School of Log Building, in Isabella MN, a year ago.  I'm using the saddle and notch system with full scribe of the laterals.  Between that school and the great book by Robert Chambers the process is becoming pretty efficient and rewarding.

I plan to number every log and disassemble the entire structure when it's time to relocate it to the lake front property.  I will have to haul the logs on a flat bed trailer, as the short wall logs are 32 1/2' and the long wall logs are 36 1/2'.  My perlins and ridge pole will be longer yet, as the roof will extend as a "fly" on each gable too.  In all honesty, this is the easy part.  The draw knife peeling process last winter was the real work.

Tom

12AX7

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 11:31:17 AM »
You have interesting ways of relieving boredom.

Sounds like WAY too much coffee to me!

Have fun with it.
G-

I NEED to find out what kind of coffee he drinks!
It must be flowing in his veins!

Tom,  where abouts are you located?

ax7
Mark

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 01:31:24 PM »
I am located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (the U.P.), in Iron Mountain (the tropical section of the U.P.) ;).  

We are 100 miles straight north of Green Bay WI, just across the WI border.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 02:03:21 PM »
The draw knife peeling process last winter was the real work.

They used to build them like that where I fly-in fish in QC.
They cut the trees in the early spring, and the bark peels off like poorly stuck tape.  It is a job the children do.
Guessing it is 250~300 miles more north than you are.  Guessing they have the same kinds of trees.
They use something I would call a pine tree... or it looks like a "pine tree" to me!

A little too late now, but I could probably find out specifically what kind of tree they use if you like.
G-

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 03:49:51 PM »
G.

Ron, the instructor at the log home building school, said it's common for builders to use the species native to your area.  My logs are a mix of Norway (Red) Pine and White Pine.  The Red is harder, stronger, and generally uniform along it's length.  The white has more "R factor"  per inch, as it's softer.  They are less consistent along the length though.  Most my Red Pine were over 70' with an 10" top.

My two boys got to see the working end of a draw knife, and my wife even helped. 

Tom

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 04:11:56 PM »
My understanding is they do it without any tools.
Grab a piece of bark at the cut, then pull off a strip all the way to the other end.
I believe it is one of their FAQs, because someone told us before we asked.

Gosh.  You couldn't find any "Full Sized" trees to work with?  LOL
The last pic shows the scale much better.
Very Impressive undertaking.

Red squirrels will pull out any non-semi-solid chinking during birthing season.  A determined mother can steal it faster than 2 people can replace it.  Just my experience.
G-

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 06:41:06 PM »
Maybe Pickster will chime in.

He used to build them but not sure he still does.

Tom

12AX7

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 10:46:06 PM »
G.

Ron, the instructor at the log home building school, said it's common for builders to use the species native to your area.  My logs are a mix of Norway (Red) Pine and White Pine.  The Red is harder, stronger, and generally uniform along it's length.  The white has more "R factor"  per inch, as it's softer.  They are less consistent along the length though.  Most my Red Pine were over 70' with an 10" top.

My two boys got to see the working end of a draw knife, and my wife even helped. 

Tom
(Attachment Link)

Looking at that picture (from this angle) lets one know how much WORK is involved!
Heck,  I don't think I could keep up with keeping an edge on the tools!

I heard you've gotten snow up that way,   we're (about 55 miles South of GB) expecting a couple of inches this weekend.  (and I'm NOT ready!)

I'd love to see more pics!

ax7
Mark

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 10:58:50 AM »
A little more progress over the last week or so.  Now working on log 17, shown below, with final scribing done.  I took a picture of one of the larger logs with a tape measure on it (shows 23" on the butt).  I have 3 logs left at 18" or larger and then start dropping down to 17" and 16" ones.  It was a bit brisk outside while working during the evenings this last week, seeing several nights just above zero (not counting wind chill).  Thank god for the indoor hot tub!!

Tom

12AX7

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 11:34:54 PM »
Hi Tom...

It doesn't look like you were hit by the last snow storm to pass through the upper midwest.
We were lucky enough to receive about 8 inches of snow, followed by temps in the single digits.
If you feel cheated on the snow I'd be more than happy to send more up your way.

I was wondering how you convince your kids and wife to help (outside) with your brisk winter temps?
I'm also curious how you plan on heating your cabin?  Will your site have grid power?  ummmm   and how do you keep your hot tub hot?

Keep  warm!

ax7

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 04:54:37 AM »
We got 8 1/2" of snow Saturday.  As far as the help from family, that was mostly during the peeling project.  My wife has horses, so is out in the cold twice a day, every day, regardless of the weather.  I guess she thought if she could peel logs, they (the boys) could too.  For the current build process, that's pretty much been a solo project.

The cabin will be on a 200 acre lake, about 35 minutes from home, with grid power access (yes, I will tie into grid power).  As far as other utilities, specifically heat, I will be doing solar with wood heat backup.  I have experimented extensively with solar for the express purpose of using it for this project.  I have a website for my solar and wind projects that shows my 336 sq foot collector and how I heat my hot tub with solar; www.aluminum-solar-absorbers.com  .

I think I will do a sauna at the cabin.

Tom

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 01:30:16 PM »
I know a few of you are interested in this project.  I documented the notch and lateral chain saw cutting process this weekend.

Enjoy.

Tom

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 01:33:23 PM »
Heres the rest of the notch cutting.

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 01:37:37 PM »
And here are the pictures cutting the laterals.

Janne

• Turbiini
    • My image gallery
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 02:42:02 PM »
A very interesting project you have here.
What is the purpose of the lateral cut, is it just to prevent the logs from cracking?
Nothing's as easy as drilling a hole in the wrong place

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 08:45:05 AM »
A very interesting project you have here.
What is the purpose of the lateral cut, is it just to prevent the logs from cracking?

The lateral cut is for a scribed fit between the logs, eliminating the need for chinking the logs.  The logs sit on top of each other with a very tight "log to log" fit.

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2010, 08:20:27 AM »
Man I love this stuf too . I hope you keep posting the progress . What about a circular saw on the joining rip ?

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2010, 08:39:50 AM »
The lateral cuts eliminate drafts between the logs, right? The thinnest part of the structure is where the logs rest on each other. The original americans didn't have chain saws and diesel powered construction equipment. I guess that's why they build long houses and shared or built tents of animal skin.

As long as the roof can handle it, the more snow the better for insulation. Enough snow and you have a snow cave with nice square walls.

How long will a log cabin last? In south Florida the humidity and bugs would eat it up in a short time.

Do you intend to panel the inside/drop ceiling so it looks like a regular house?

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2010, 12:38:47 PM »
How long will a log cabin last? In south Florida the humidity and bugs would eat it up in a short time.

If properly maintained, i'd say at least 300-500 years; even longer... ;)

Take a look at these panorama views at The Norwegian Museum of Cultural History site:
http://www.norskfolkemuseum.no/en/Experience/Panorama-views/ Several of these log cabins/houses are 200-700 years old; the 'stave church' are over 800 years... ;)
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2010, 12:49:21 PM »
I'm interested in how to bring the logs to the build stage is there something that is done to keep them from splitting ? Wood preservative  etc ?

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2011, 09:16:38 AM »
Man I love this stuf too . I hope you keep posting the progress . What about a circular saw on the joining rip ?

The chain saw works best, as the depth of the cut varies by the width of the lateral, which is changing all the way down the log. 

Tom

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
The lateral cuts eliminate drafts between the logs, right?

Do you intend to panel the inside/drop ceiling so it looks like a regular house?

Yes, the lateral cut is for the fit and seal between the logs.  Older build practices would fit the logs to within a 1/4" or so, and then use sill seal or some other type of seal, and then chink the area to seal it.  This system eliminates the need for chinking.

Since I love the rustic look of log homes, all the outer walls will have the logs exposed on the inside too.  Internal walls will be conventional construction.  The ceiling in the open areas (there will be a loft above half the cabin) will have the log perlins exposed and roof sheeting, which will be 2" x 8" tongue and groove paneling (custom planed).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 09:26:56 AM by Tom Sullivan »

klsmurf

• "Damn it Jim, I'm a carpenter, not an electrican"
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2011, 10:05:21 AM »
Hi Tom,

Great project, thanks for sharing. Being a carpenter by trade, I would consider a project like this, Hard Work, but Fun. Years ago when I lived in Denver, I got to help out a couple weekends on a similar project. What type of foundation are you going to set the cabin on? Are you planing to have your windows and doors custom made? Sliding bucks for attachments? Again, thanks for the share.    Kevin
" A man's got to know his limitations " ------ Harry Callahan

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2011, 11:23:37 AM »
Hi Tom,

Great project, thanks for sharing. Being a carpenter by trade, I would consider a project like this, Hard Work, but Fun. Years ago when I lived in Denver, I got to help out a couple weekends on a similar project. What type of foundation are you going to set the cabin on? Are you planing to have your windows and doors custom made? Sliding bucks for attachments? Again, thanks for the share.    Kevin

There will be a full basement, which will be exposed with a walk out patio door to the lake (the cabin will move to a 4 acre lake front parcel I have on a 200 acre lake).  The building site is perfect for that type of construction, as it tapers down hill towards the lake.  I will be using the "Robert Chambers" method of window and door construction, with overlapping trim and slots with insert boards that the doors and windows attach to.  That allows conventional doors and windows, but also allows for settling and shrinkage.  His log building manual is getting many pages worn out in the areas I've needed to study for the building process.  It's been an excellent resource for this project, as well as Ron Bronigan from the Great Lakes School of Log Building in MN, where I attended his 10 day course last fall.

Tom

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2012, 08:48:25 AM »
It's been a while since I've posted on this project so thought an update would be nice.  We poured the cement floor on August 14th and have been pretty busy since.  I finished up, as far as I will go this year, last weekend.

Tom Sullivan

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2012, 01:11:31 AM »
I always love the look of log houses.
Do the large windows face directly South, or just in the most panoramic direction?
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Tom Sullivan

• U.P. Solar Solutions
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2012, 08:01:52 AM »
The large windows and exposed basement face west towards the lake.  Both pictures are from the south (south east and south west).  I hope to add solar hot water collectors on the south side later.  Not sure if I can get them on the hillside and still get decent winter sun.  Otherwise may consider them on the south facing roof.

Tom