Author Topic: My first windgen finished - and the teststand collapses...  (Read 1593 times)

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
My first windgen finished - and the teststand collapses...
« on: April 08, 2011, 02:32:21 PM »
I'd finally managed to put together my first windgen, and had it on a teststand bolted to a wooden platform. The wind was good today, although a bit turbulent (due to the immense height of 15cm (tip of the blades) above ground. :D ), but it performed surprisingly well - until i turned my back to it, and a gust broke the 'mast' of the teststand...  :'(

It is completely my fault, thinking that a alu-tube with 1mm walls (that grey, bent bit, upper left of the pic.) would be good enough for winds at 6-7m/s... :P But it's what i had laying around...

The blades, at 1.1m (2.2m diam.) performed well, reaching cutin speed at 3m/s, and put out 8-10A into a fully charged 80Ah 12V battery at around 6-7m/s. The alternator have 8 magnets 20x25x50mm and 6 coils with 1.2mm wire; 70 turns.

Oh, well - now at least i have the experience of making blades... AND breaking blades...  ;D
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: My first windgen finished - and the teststand collapses...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 02:47:19 PM »
Ouch!
Sorry to see it like that.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 03:23:44 PM »
Yes, ouch!

It's the equivalent of letting out the magic smoke further down the wiring!

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 04:33:33 PM »
Two things bugs me now; for one, i was ready to shut it down; having tested it for hours with good results, and second - i'll never see how those blades performs on a real tower... :(

But then again, i can now look forward to make a new set of blades... ;)
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)