Author Topic: connection help  (Read 2184 times)

Saltwater

connection help
« on: November 30, 2010, 05:30:23 PM »
Since I went back to school everything has been on hold until now.  I have been reading and reading, but cannot figure out the best way to connect a wind turbine and solar panels to the same battery bank.  I'm sure it's easy and I'm making this harder than it needs to be.

I'm looking at a Windmax turbine, both the "new" style with electromagnetic brake and the "old" tail furling.  Don't really know which way to go there.

I appreciate any input,
Jeff

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
Re: connection help
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 08:13:06 PM »
jeff-

can't help you with the turbine selection, as i'm not familiar with either.

as for the connections...  connect both to the battery directly (with fuse and blocking diodes).

then use a dump style charge controller to bleed off excess voltage when they near full.  the dump controller, and the dump load must be able to dump as much as your solar and wind combined.  my favorite for this purpose are the morning star tri-star controllers.  made in a 40 and 60 amp version.  though ghurd has a dump load controller that is pretty cool, and inexpensive.  takes some soldering and such, but for the price you can't beat it!

these type of controllers also hook directly to the battery bank (with a fuse) and keep track of battery voltage.  once they get full, or close to full, they dump power from the bank, even if power is still coming into the bank via. the wind or solar, or both.  this is why your controller, and dump load must be at least as large as the input is capable of producing. 

hope this helps!

adam

Saltwater

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 06:44:47 PM »
Thank You!  I was trying to figure out how people connect multiple turbines and such with 1 controller.  I have a lot to learn before any purchases.  I have found that batteries are terribly expensive.

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 07:47:32 PM »
Here is how I do it . . .

it's a very basic diagram that is improved easily.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 07:06:15 PM »
Here is how I do it . . .

it's a very basic diagram that is improved easily.

LOL, love the other sources box. :D
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 10:16:34 PM »
Generally speaking-

Solar Controllers can only control Solar Panels.
They stop the amps from flowing into the battery.

Dump load controller,
Shunt load controller,
or
Diversion load controller,
are all the same thing.
They control the Battery!
They do not care where the power comes from.  They only care that there is too much power.
When there is too much power, they turn on a load that is connected to a battery.

The battery controls the turbine.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller