Author Topic: Enclosure/frame materials  (Read 3350 times)

dwarmbrodt

Enclosure/frame materials
« on: December 16, 2010, 09:36:39 AM »
Hello all,
First post and I am all nervous...
I am planning my first panel build for off grid use. I know commercial made panels have a fantastic warranty and I wont save any real money making my own, but I will enjoy the personal satisfaction plus using recycled materials is a good thing. So speaking of recycled stuff, I will soon be able to get my hands on a sliding glass patio door. Is the glass of poor transmision quality, or is it OK? I know it is large and heavy, but this will be mounted ground level. It seems I just need to find some use for that size glass.
The more I read here, the more I realize there is alot to learn, and I dont know diddly. Go easy on me and thanks in advance!

Tritium

Re: Enclosure/frame materials
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 10:08:22 AM »
My sliding glass doors are on their way to becoming solar hot air collectors.

Thurmond

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 10:14:41 AM »
I think most of those big sliding glass doors are safety glass.
Not sure what type, but some of it is not exactly easy to cut yourself.

It is sometimes a laminate with plastic in the middle.  That will stop a lot of the sun light.

I agree with Thurmond.  Best to use them for solar heaters.

Buy thin glass for PVs.  Low iron if you can get/afford it.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

luv2weld

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 10:26:36 AM »
Use them for a greenhouse or a cold frame.

Ralph
The best way to "kill time" is to work it to death!

dwarmbrodt

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 01:24:05 PM »
Use them for a greenhouse or a cold frame.

Ralph

Yup, a good plan "B"

Thanks all.

howlet

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 03:53:36 AM »
Hi dwarmbrodt,
  Perhaps you can acquire a cell or two of known quality and post some results. The price of cells have become more justifiable compared to a couple years ago. JB

dwarmbrodt

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 10:10:58 PM »
I just received a pack of 36 cells to construct my first panel. I still need to research more on the enclosure construction. That seems to be the weak point in a homemade panel. I am hoping the experts here will make a sticky with advice and experience. BTW, that damn Sylgard is expensive! Ouch.

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 11:29:30 PM »
The Iron-free, water-white glass needed to keep from blocking the most energetic spectrum of sunlight beats the encapsulate for cost unless one orders many square feet & pieces at one time.

dwarmbrodt

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 10:33:57 AM »
Dan,
Thanks for the reply. I have so much to learn still. Maybe I am too old for this, but as I near retirement I need projects...
I understand the low iron glass for the front, but I thought the encapsulate was to seal the backside from moisture. I have been watching the above thread regarding venting and such, so I know the backing of a panel is just as important as the front, for different reasons.

Turfdr

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 01:46:53 PM »
I was also thinking about making a panel from an older single pane patio door using the existing aluminum frame and maybe a corrugated fiberglass roof panel for the back and seal the ends with silicone or expanding foam? but the glass is so thick and heavy I think I'll stick to the smaller ones for now.
This is my second panel.The glass is very thin and not tempered so I'll have to watch for hail.

I don't have the backing on it yet but it seems to be sealed pretty well.I see about 30 watts from it and when it's complete should have about $27 into it.Heres a link to the first one.
http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=f9dfc7d716f2010367b675ef4c1641a0&topic=144165.0